Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2012 6:56:29 PM EDT
Not sure if this is the right forum but...

I just bought a WOA SS match barrel. I would like to know what the proper barrel break-in procedure is and what cleaning tools and solvents, etc. I should purchase to not ruin my new barrel.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/7_Maintenance_andamp__Cleaning.html

WOA sells great stuff, I thought John had a recommendation on cleaning and breakin? Just don't get it Hot. Avoid mag dumps unless you like buying SS barrels
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Eh, not planning on too many mag dumps, but I figured the SS barrels could handle heavy action since they are preferred in 3gun. Total noob so what do I know honestly...I just don't want to ruin a purchase on my first day.

I checked the link, but didn't find anything specific. I could probably research more...
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#3]
"From OLY ARMS"
Clean the barrel well.
Make sure the patches come out clean and white.
Use the cleaner of your choice (do not use ammonia-based cleaners). Use of a lead or copper solvent is okay, but use only when necessary.
Make sure you have the barrel cleaned and any solvents removed or neutralized in the bore.
Apply the lubricant-bore treatment (we recommend Weapon Shield).
Dry the bore with a clean dry patch.
Use the quality ammunition of your choice and fire ONE round.
Repeat Step 1 for the next 24 rounds.
At round 25, repeat Step 1. Change from firing ONE round to THREE.
Repeat Step 3 until you have fired 50 rounds total.
At round 51, repeat Step 1. Change from firing THREE rounds to FIVE.
Repeat Step 5 until you have fired 100 rounds total.
After firing 100 rounds total clean and treat the bore as in Step 1, then fire for a group. Your barrel is now broken in.
You may choose to use another method if you wish. Again, if you do choose a different method, or choose to accelerate the

or

"FROM kriegerbarrels"
The following is a guide to "break-in" based on our experience. This is not a hard and fast rule, only a guide. Some barrel, chamber, bullet, primer, powder, pressure, velocity etc. combinations may require more cycles some less. It is a good idea to just observe what the barrel is telling you with its fouling pattern and the patches. But once it is broken in, there is no need to continue breaking it in.

Initially you should perform the shoot-one-shot-and-clean cycle for five shots. If fouling hasn't reduced, fire five more cycles and so on until fouling begins to drop off. At that point shoot three shots before cleaning and observe. If fouling is reduced, fire five shots before cleaning. Do not be alarmed if your seating depth gets longer during break in. This is typical of the “high” spots in the throat being knocked down during this procedure. It is not uncommon for throat length to grow .005”-.030” from a fresh unfired chamber during break in.

Stainless                       Chrome moly

5-10 one-shot cycles    5 - 25 - one-shot cycles

1 three-shot cycle        2 - three-shot cycles

1 five-shot cycle          1 - five-shot cycle

everywhere you look someone will tell you something different but similar to these, just research and do what you feel comfortable. I personally think somewhere between the two of these is good.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Perfect. Thank you for your help.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top