Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2012 8:41:20 PM EDT
Thinking about buying a few 80% lowers soon. I know there are a few companies who produce them. I believe I will go with the colfax brand. Question is, does anyone have any opinions on which company other than colfax that makes the best jig? By best I mean ease of use, durability, and quality I guess. Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
subscribing as I'm interested in this too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a tactical machine jig i used to finish a few receivers. It did the job and was nicely made. It has steel drill guide bushings but they are not hardened, at least on the one I had. They even sell replacement parts should you accidentally "modify" the jig.  
I also used their pre anodized receivers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
depends on what type of 80% you are going with. What features are not performed that you need to finish? And how do you plan to do so? What type of equipment/ tools do you have?
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
i have absolutely NO experience with this, so take that into consideration while reading what i am about to say - i have been considering getting into building my own receivers, for quite some time, and have read lots an lots on it.  i have decided to buy the jig and milling adaptor from www.cncguns.com and the anodized 80% from www.tacticalmachining.com  if you still haven't selected a set up, in a few weeks, i should be able to tell you how this combiniation works out
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Colfax iseaser to use since it's higher but I have a tactical machine jig myself...again both are good but I did find the Colfax easier to set up on my drill press..
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Colfax iseaser to use since it's higher but I have a tactical machine jig myself...again both are good but I did find the Colfax easier to set up on my drill press..
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I was planning on a colfax lower, as it seems to be easiest to complete. I'd just like to use the best jig, to simplify the finishing as much as possible, as I will most likely be using a drill press.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]
tactical machine
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Now that this topic has been brought up. If you only plan on doing one receiver, and you don't want to buy the jig, is there anywhere out there that a person can "rent" the fjig to do one receiver? I have a UT arms receiver and it would be nice to be able to rent one vs buy one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#10]
WOW!!!! my mind had been totally made up, until this thread.  that Colfax has my attention.  see, with the CNC Guns one, you have to buy the jig AND the top plate.  plus is is capable of assisting you in a lot of procedures most of the better 80%'rs don't need done.  i seriously see the Colfax in my near future.  i'm not trying to get off track here, but i have a question for those who have used a Colfax jig to build a Colfax 80:  EXACTLY what bits are needed.  please, if you don't mind, a detailed list of which drill bits (and is it one end mill?) with the necesarry lengths and everything please.  keep in mind i will be using a drill press, not a mill.  thank you.  it would be very appreciated
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I would be very interested to know as well!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
WOW!!!! my mind had been totally made up, until this thread.  that Colfax has my attention.  see, with the CNC Guns one, you have to buy the jig AND the top plate.  plus is is capable of assisting you in a lot of procedures most of the better 80%'rs don't need done.  i seriously see the Colfax in my near future.  i'm not trying to get off track here, but i have a question for those who have used a Colfax jig to build a Colfax 80:  EXACTLY what bits are needed.  please, if you don't mind, a detailed list of which drill bits (and is it one end mill?) with the necesarry lengths and everything please.  keep in mind i will be using a drill press, not a mill.  thank you.  it would be very appreciated

Here is a site that lists what it requires to finish one of their lowers. I'd think it would be similar with colfax.

http://www.cncguns.com/projects/ar15lower80tutorial-2.html
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a site that lists what it requires to finish one of their lowers. I'd think it would be similar with colfax.

http://www.cncguns.com/projects/ar15lower80tutorial-2.html

yea, thanks, i've seen that and (i don't know why, buy) i remember thinking there was more listed there than i would need to do one of the Colfax 80's on the Colfax Jig.  i'im about to call Colfax and find out for sure.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Colfax seems ok if the shelf area is already done. Their top plate does not do this area. The 80% lowers on gunbroker seem to be not cut in that area.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#15]
not to hijack the thread but i see a lot of people intend to finish there 80%ers on a drill press,i have a colfax jig and 80% receiver on the way and would like to know what drill press' people are using or would recommend.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#16]
The Colfax lowers have the top shelf already cut, so their jig doesn't cover that, but it's not hard to do without a jig.  Look at the engineering drawings and measure carefully.

I've done a few with a Dremel.  Most recently my son gave me a drill press for Christmas, so I used that.  Full cost was about $90.00 at Harbor Freight.  I suspect he paid less, 'cause there's always 20% off coupons floating around. A box of mixed size end mills at HF cost $31.00 on sale after coupons. Digital calipers were a couple of dollars.  Worked just fine.  Had to smuggle it into my apartment.  Landlord said I couldn't have a machine shop.

I'm sure others have said it, but i'll repeat-You will spend more money doing an 80% than you would spend to buy a stripped lower.  These are for fun, or to stay completely off the radar, not economy.

FWIW, Colfax is sold out of pre-anodized lowers ATM.  I'm on the waiting list, they say a few weeks.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Sub
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:03:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Interested as well, sub'd
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I did my first lower on a Tactical Machine jig with my old floor standing drill press and a cheap Harbor Freight x/y table.  I can be done but will look a lot nicer with a mini-mill.

The Tactical Machining jg is nice and if your have access to a mill is the way to go.  With that said if all you have is a drill press I would probably try the Colfax.  On my first lower I ended up plunging most of the trigger pocket anyway and it would have been easier to have a proper guide.

The thing that I definitely recommend:  Get good quality tools (as in bits, reamers, end mills)
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#20]
How's the progress going on these?
Any pictures yet?
Looking forward too how one turns out.....I've had my eye on this 80% stuff for awhile now.
I have a benchtop Delta brand drill press I will use when I bail off into this....already got the end mills and other stuff.
And the Colfax jig is probably the direction I'll go.
Eagerly awaiting progress reports.....:>)
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:51:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I have UT Arms lowers and their jig. They are CNC milled from solid stock instead of forged. machining quality is excellent.
They look very much like a Sun Devil. Very detailed instructions.

Highly recommended

Maddawg
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Any AARs?
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
tactical machine

+1

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought a Tactical Machine %80 Lower and love it. The only problem i have with it is that it didn't anodize right. I even had an anodizing company do it for me and it still came out all blotchy. If I got one again i would Cera-coat it instead. But i take that as a learning experience. Hence why i want another one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#27]
CPERMD:

Any AARs?

What do you want to know?

80% lowers when properly finished are no different than any other commercially-produced lower receiver.  They all work just fine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Not familier with Colfax....but everything I have ever touched form TM was well made with superior fit and finish.......
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I have finished two Colfax lowers.  Forgings and their machining are superb.  All the critical dimensions match (with tolerances) the GI M16 receiver drawing.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top