Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2012 9:54:24 AM EDT
Are there any disadvantages associated with a clamp on gas block, provided it is installed correctly?

I'm considering a build with a Noveske switchblock, clamp on style...  Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]
i've had my YHM clamp-on for a few months without incident. i have heard to use rocksett on the screws, but i did not. i checked the screws twice, still tight.

the only disadvantage i see is lining up the gas port. draw some lines with pencil to be sure everything's straight and you're GTG.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the DD and YHM both are gtg with hundreds of rounds down the pipe and no issues
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#4]
No problems and I run quite a few of them, several of each: YHM, DD, ARMS, and VLTOR.  Just remember to use BLUE Lock-Tite ON THE SCREWS, not the gas block!  Anything stronger and you will be sorry eventually.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No problems and I run quite a few of them, several of each: YHM, DD, ARMS, and VLTOR.  Just remember to use BLUE Lock-Tite ON THE SCREWS, not the gas block!  Anything stronger and you will be sorry eventually.

I would think that you would use the RED Lock_tite instead of the Blue for gas block screw.  The RED can withstand a higher termperature than BLUE.  I can imagine that it's gets pretty hot on the barrel when you do full auto or multiple succession shots.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/t_lkr_red/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271.htm

The advantages are that the clamp on GB is supposed to be more accurate.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw some temperature numbers somewhere a while back and based on that I don’t think the gas block area gets hot enough to be a problem with Blue Loctite with a DI gas system.
I have been using YHM clamp on FSBs, personally I do not use Loctite because it is such a PITA to clean off and I have not had any problems so far.
I do check to make sure the screws are tight when I clean weapons or TI weapons.
I would Loctite a duty weapon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I never run my rifles hot enough that it would matter.  But if you use the red and then later try to remove it, be prepared for a little cussing.  You will have to heat the crap out of it and I have that even heat fail to loosen it up as much as I wished.  If you shoot your rifle FA or just burn the shit out if then maybe, and I mean MAYBE the blue would break down, but I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds through my ARs and Blue has never let me down.  Uless you plan on going into combat or are one of those guys who thinks Armagedon is right around the corner and you are going to have to shoot non-stop to stop the Zombie hords, IMO you'll never need the Red stuff.  And I must admit, I have bump fired the crap out of my 7.5 inch pistol and its set screw on block has never loosened up with Blue.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think that you would use the RED Lock_tite instead of the Blue for gas block screw.  The RED can withstand a higher termperature than BLUE.  I can imagine that it's gets pretty hot on the barrel when you do full auto or multiple succession shots.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/t_lkr_red/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271.htm

The advantages are that the clamp on GB is supposed to be more accurate.

I always use high temp red, on the screw threads only. Easy enough to remove, just needs heating up with a torch.

I'd take a good clamp block over a set screw one any day of the week.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#9]
The advantage is its an easy on and off for changing/swapping out barrels. Those pins can be a bitch sometimes. I have not had any problems with my clamp on gas block with no loctite and I get mine hot.

+1 to the pencil marking
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top