Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2011 1:22:28 PM EDT
I was curious about markings on my upper, so did some research.
This is what i found.  I didnt know if anyone else could use it or not.

Forging marks   >  makers.

A (splintered) = Anchor Harvey Aluminum

AF = Alcoa Forge

C AF = Colt Alco Forge

C MB = Colt / Mueller Brass

Cardinal (stylized) = Cardinal Forge

CH = Colt Harvey Aluminum

CK = Colt / Kaiser Aluminum

Circle/Crooshairs w/"AR" = ArmaLite

CM = Colt / Martin Marietta

D (stylized) = Diemaco

DK = Diemaco / Kaiser Aluminum

E = Emco

EK = EMCO/Kaiser

E MB = EMCO/Mueller Brass

F keyhole = FNMI / Cerro Forge

FA = FNMI / Anchor Harvey

FK = FNMI / Kaiser Aluminum

FM = FN/Martin Marietta

FMB = FNMI / Mueller Brass

Keyhole = Cerro Forge

L = Lewis Machine & Tool

LK = LAR / Kaiser Aluminum

LM = LAR / Martin Marietta

M (under diamond) = Mueller Industries

PA = Capco / Anchor Harvey

PM = Capco / Martin Marietta

link to sight i found info on   http://www.armyparatrooper.org/dropzone/showthread.php/20426-Forging-marks-on-the-AR15-M16-M4-Upper-Receiver
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You forgot...

JNK=JUNK

...like the one I bought at the Phoenix SAR show last month
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Square box = Brass Aluminum Forgings Inc. ( found on Colt/Stag/CMT upper flatops and removable carry handles)....Mike. see correction below.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises, actually.  It is often mentioned only with the acronym of their name, BAFE, and losing the "enterprises" would make the acronym not work...  Nice company in Ferndale, Michigan.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]

This doesn't seem to fit any of the above.
These are from a Barrett upper.  Best photos I could get from a not very good camera.
If I had to describe it, I'd call it a foot stepping on a piece of bread.

Any clues?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
A (splintered) = Anchor Harvey Aluminum

Cool to know. I bought a used A1 upper a few months back with no idea where it was from. Only that it was used, and still had the rear sight.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/sergtjim/100_1434.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/sergtjim/100_1438.jpg

This doesn't seem to fit any of the above.
These are from a Barrett upper.  Best photos I could get from a not very good camera.
If I had to describe it, I'd call it a foot stepping on a piece of bread.

Any clues?

That's a Cardinal Forge.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 3:26:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's a Cardinal Forge.

Thanks for the answer.  I never would have figured that one out.

The folks at Cardinal may think it's a stylized bird's head, but to me it still looks like a foot stepping on a piece of bread.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises, actually.  It is often mentioned only with the acronym of their name, BAFE, and losing the "enterprises" would make the acronym not work...  Nice company in Ferndale, Michigan.

Opps:  I thought something was wrong.  I added the Inc. as I couldn't remember Enterprises.  Thanks for the correct.....Mike
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Square box = Brass Aluminum Forgings Inc. ( found on Colt/Stag/CMT upper flatops and removable carry handles)....Mike. see correction below.

I have one Delton upper with this forge mark. Who would have ever thought my Delton and Colt have so much in common.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one Delton upper with this forge mark. Who would have ever thought my Delton and Colt have so much in common.

Oh, and my new RRA too!  Who'da thunk it????

Link Posted: 1/29/2012 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I know most board members hate Blackthorne, but they use the uppers with the square box forge marks=Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises, as well.  First hand experience with photos if I have to.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 6:27:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Keep in mind regardless of  the forge mark, the company buying and reselling them is in charge of finishing machining and tolerance spec. So just because Blackthorne uses an upper with a quality forging doesn't mean they didn't do something to fuck it up after the fact.

Good example of this is RRA is known for super super tight tolerances, to the point of incompatibility with other companies specs sometimes.

Forge code only tells you where it came from in the beginning.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Keep in mind regardless of  the forge mark, the company buying and reselling them is in charge of finishing machining and tolerance spec. So just because Blackthorne uses an upper with a quality forging doesn't mean they didn't do something to fuck it up after the fact.

Good example of this is RRA is known for super super tight tolerances, to the point of incompatibility with other companies specs sometimes.

Forge code only tells you where it came from in the beginning.

+1
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Party pooper. lol
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Mueller Brass?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top