Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2011 2:31:06 PM EDT
so i received my new Ranier arms barrel in today and i have a YHM low profile gas block sitting here. the barrel is exactly .750 but the gas block is .747 now my question is what should i do to get it on? do i sand down the barrel or should i sand the inside of the gas block. thank you.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same barrel and block as you have.  I first tried to sand the block but it was still too tight so I ordered a block that was slotted.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Return to YHM & have them send you the proper size gas block. I take it the .747 is your measurement? You could try sanding but make sure it doesn't fit first.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
i tried to get it to fit and there's no way its going to slide on i put oil on both but didn't budge.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
and yes .747 is what my digital micrometer says.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#5]
send it back to yhm.  If they can't get you one that wil fit try a Vltor... have used 3 or 4 of those and they always fit at least mine have.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
You could send it back or heat the sucker up, you might be able to get the 3 thousands out of it. I have a straight reamer in my toolbox at work but that isn't doing you any good, lol.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:17:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you do with sanding, please sand the cheaper of the two items.  You could take it to a local machine shop, and they can mill it.

Best bet.  Send it back and get a new one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I would think YHM will make it right.
If you are in a hurry you could try a wheel cylinder hone.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#9]
You just don't want to sand the barrel because then replacement blocks will always be loose.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Brake cylinder hone

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cylinder-hones/=fkt9gt

Don't touch the barrel.

Rainier also makes a gas block that is specically designed for thier barrels.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#11]
.003" isn't much. Can you try freezing the barrel and heating the gas block? It might be worth a shot before sanding, grinding or returning things. What does YHM say? They may have encountered this before and have an easy fix.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
.003" isn't much. Can you try freezing the barrel and heating the gas block? It might be worth a shot before sanding, grinding or returning things. What does YHM say? They may have encountered this before and have an easy fix.

+1 Freeze barrel over night. I would put it in a ziploc bag to prevent moisture. Or heat the gasblock in the oven for a bit. You shouldn't have to do both. Work fast and make sure it is lined up correctly the first time
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Freeze barrel over night. I would put it in a ziploc bag to prevent moisture. Or heat the gasblock in the oven for a bit. You shouldn't have to do both. Work fast and make sure it is lined up correctly the first time

No reason why this wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I couldn't get my Troy gas block to fit so I used a medium butane torch and it went on with some force. Now it will come on and off easily when i loosen the set screws... Not sure what has changed haha...

Don't forget to put a light coat of oil on the barrel so you don't scratch it. It also helps to slide it on the seat.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Heat it up. Had similar issue with a Larue lopro gas block on my GTS 6.8 barrel. heated it up with a torch while holding it with channel locks. Once good and heated, it slid right on and locked up tight.

Make sure it's aligned correctly when you put it on because it will cool and clamp on quickly
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#16]
seems like a bad idea to force the two together with heat/cold whatever. If you ever want to remove the GB you are hosed. I would get a good fitting GB and be done with it, knowing I can remove anytime I wanted.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#17]
3 thou is a lot at only 3/4"
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#18]
thanks guys for the fast responses and great ideas. i went ahead and ordered the gas block from raniers. and im going to go ahead and use the YHM gas block on a government profile barrel that it just slides right on to.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Brake cylinder hone

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cylinder-hones/=fkt9gt

Don't touch the barrel.

Rainier also makes a gas block that is specically designed for thier barrels.

+1.  A 3-stone brake cylinder hone will work just fine.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top