Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2011 2:35:46 PM EDT
I feel like I should know this from assembling a couple ARs before, but I better ask before I go ahead with my grand scheme.  (I don't have an AR in front of me currently so its hard to look at and make sure)

Can the gas tube be removed and replaced without removing the whole front sight block?  Using a standard A2 sight.  Simply remove the gas tube roll pin and push it out of the front sight post, then pull it forward out of the receiver.....or will the angle and tolerances prevent that?

(I'm trying to replace the upper receiver not the gas tube.  The gas tube prevents removing the delta ring assembly.)

Thanks.  And I
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
yes, just rip that baby out of there. You can stick the whole thing through the upper receiver even...
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

yes, just rip that baby out of there. You can stick the whole thing through the upper receiver even...

Sounds good to me.  Thanks!

I'll probably avoid trying to cram it through the upper receiver with that bed in it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
So what Are you Trying to do???  are you changing out upper recievers????   give us the details man..!  you upgrading..???  going from A2 to Flat top..???  going from Forged to billet..???  whats going on there..???

Your post said Replacing Upper Reciever..???   what's wronge with the Reciever it has Now..???   and what are you going to do with the old reciever...??? selling it..?? trading it..???  
i call dibs..!!!

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm anxiously awaiting my stripped Upper and Lower from Palmetto State Armory.  They are at the FFL getting Cerakoted FDE.

Looking at the PSA complete upper.  I'll swap out the receivers and the handguards.  Then I'll have a FDE AR and the parts waiting to finish up another traditional black AR.

(There are actually two lowers at the FFL waiting on me, only one is getting Cerakoted)....so no dibs yet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You may find that your gas tube is stuck in the FSB. Mine had some gunk that made it difficult to slide it out, but I cleaned it off and it slid back in fine.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
 they cost about $10
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You may find that your gas tube is stuck in the FSB. Mine had some gunk that made it difficult to slide it out, but I cleaned it off and it slid back in fine.

My main concern was not removing the FSB.  Hopefully the gunk won't be too bad on a new (only test fired) upper.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top