Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2011 7:46:08 AM EDT
looking at the troy alpha rail in 13 in with sight and it says its not compatible with rifle or intermediate length gas systems is intermediate length same as mid length
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

If you use a FSB the rail will only work with a rifle system or a dissy.

Now a lo pro gas block will work fine
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yes.

No.

Intermediate is a separate and distinct gas system length... also known as the "Vltor Intermediate", it was intended for 18" barrels to help with some function issues with 18" rifle gas configurations in very cold climates.  It is quite a bit longer than the Armalite developed midlength in common use, and slightly longer than KAC's unique gas system length used on their E3 16" rifles.

Noveske and MSTN offer barrels in the Intermediate length, as well as custom barrels.

With regards to the product in question, I would surmise that the folding front sight assembly takes up space under the handguard that would be required for a gas block at the proscribed rifle or intermediate positions.  Since midlength is not mentioned, it should work as apparently the gas block would be far enough to the rear to clear the front sight.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#3]
The intermediate length is very close to the KAC system used on the SR15E3, within a few tenths of an inch. I have a custom 16" Noveske barrel with an intermediate length gas system.

An intermediate gas system places the gas port 11.5" from the standing face of the receiver. IIRC, a midlength is something like 9 3/4".

The Troy TRX rail, w/o the built in front sight, will work with an intermediate length gas system.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
would the 13 inch troy TRX be long enough to cover a low profile gas block on the intermediate length system
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

No...

Gamma is correct.

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
would the 13 inch troy TRX be long enough to cover a low profile gas block on the intermediate length system

Yes.

I used that rail on my rifle before replacing it with a DD RIS-II.

Barrel is a 16" Noveske with an intermediate gas system.

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks i wanted to make sure before i ordered i had measured it but wanted a second opinion
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]

MSTN posted this a long time ago, I edited it to put the labels in and add the approximate length of the KAC gas system.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://muzepix.com/ar/temp/IMG_0005_53mod.jpg

MSTN posted this a long time ago, I edited it to put the labels in and add the approximate length of the KAC gas system.

Nicely done, Gamma.

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://muzepix.com/ar/temp/IMG_0005_53mod.jpg

Nicely done, Gamma.

Yes it was...., Thank you Gamma762.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top