Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2011 11:48:35 AM EDT
I need a list of uppers from best to worse in accuracy. Im only interested in accuracy only and would prefer personal experiance and or have seen or read. Not opinions. I only have so much money for this so it has to be right. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You are asking a question that has too many answers due to a lot of varibles.  You need to provide much more detail.  What range will you be shooting 100 yds, 300 yds, 600 yds?  What ammo will you be shooting - 55g, 62g or higher?  Benchrest, hunting, or plinking?  Each answer narrows down the question just a bit to an answer you are seeking.  Remember that there are also two more variables - accuracy and precision.  There are some heavy hitters in this forum that will be able to get you some good answers once you let them know what you want to do.  Unfortunately, you will find more opinion on the brand than real answers, and you have to weight it all.

The best you will get out of this is a barrel length, twist ratio, and maybe a profile (HBAR, pencil, bull, etc).  Since most manufacturers in business generally have a solid product, you will have to select from 2-3 companies.  Don't fret - Just make an educated decision - Many times, cost drives the outcome.  Select a barrel and shoot the piss out of it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Oops, i guess i could have added that. Im looking for a benchrest only heavy barrel, 16" ss, 1 in 9 ONLY,  52 to 62grn bullets only,  100 to 300 yds max.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
This is still a rather unspecific question due to the massive amount of product out there as well as your request for a list.  I'll give you a good place to start:

I think you are going to have the best choices in 1/8 barrels.

Are you using optics or irons, or both?  Why are you limited to 52 to 62gr bullets?

I'd start with the RRA National Match A4 upper and work your way out from there.  It has a 1/8 twist 20 bull barrel with FF hand guard, national match fine sights, wylde chamber (suited best for .223 or 5.56) with a wilson cryo treated SS barrel.  Figure about $700 with bolt and sights.

You can then work your way up through LaRue and Noveske.  Price goes up too obviously.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Well 20" is completely out of the question. That being said, 2 foot of snow aint all that much unless it overflows in the crak of your pants! IM A SHORT MAN! Lol!! Seriously, when i have a 16" ar15 in hand while walking it has clearance without touching the ground. Anything longer & i will have to use it like a crutch or polevault. That and the added weight.  But i have a buttload of 52,55,&69 grn bullets so i want a 1-9 twist. I like the looks of those you are talking about though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Im using a 4x12x40 scope
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well 20" is completely out of the question. That being said, 2 foot of snow aint all that much unless it overflows in the crak of your pants! IM A SHORT MAN! Lol!! Seriously, when i have a 16" ar15 in hand while walking it has clearance without touching the ground. Anything longer & i will have to use it like a crutch or polevault. That and the added weight.  But i have a buttload of 52,55,&69 grn bullets so i want a 1-9 twist. I like the looks of those you are talking about though.

Ok, plenty of 16" and shorter options out there then.

Stainless Steel barrels will give you the most accuracy.  However, as previously stated, most are 1/8 twist.  I'm just trying to make your shopping easier, as SS with a 1/9 is going to be hard to find and not really be that different.  If your 62gr stockpile is M855, don't expect very good accuracy from it anyways.  The steel penetrator core is notoriously misshapen and causes minute accuracy issues.  The best barrel is nothing without good ammo.

With that in mind, I'd look at some of the Bravo Company stainless uppers to start on the lower end.  Obviously you will want a free float hand guard for this as well.  You get what you pay for in hand guards.  From there, your next stops are LaRue and Noveske, but they get pricey quick but you will not be left for wanting in the accuracy dept.

Don't forget an aftermarket trigger either
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. Ive already got a bushmaster nm 2stg.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned at least 20 uppers and by far the most accurate is my 24" Colt stainless 1:9 CAR-A3 HBAR Elete

You probably just want to look at semi custom options from LaRue, Noveski or a builder like MSTN though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
NOOOO 20's!
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Very sharp!! I think i may have crapped a little when i saw the price.  Lol! Well i guess mine wont be built as soon as i wanted. But....you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:56:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I think you can get the upper without the hand guard for like $500.  If you can make-do with standard plastic hand guards for a while, you will get out much cheaper.  You can always add a free float hand guard later on.  Honestly, I don't think you will see accuracy suffer much w/o the FF hand guard.  The Stainless Steel barrel is the key building block in a rifle built for accuracy.  The folks that sees a difference with free float are either applying tons of sling pressure or have coffee grinders attached to their pic rails.

Outside of that, the non-stainless steel Colt barrels are VERY accurate as well.  They DO come in 1/9 as well, so this may be your answer.  I forget which models they were for, but I think it was their match target series and the A3.  These come up on the EE often and usually a bit cheaper than most Colt parts because of the less desirable 1/9 twist and ban-era features. (i.e. no bayo lug, bare muzzle or brake instead of flash hider)  I have a friend with a 20" version (they did make 16's) and it was within 3/4 MOA from my RRA NM upper with me shooting.

Again, keep in mind that  if your stockpile is M855, the penetrator being oblong will affect accuracy compared to true target loads.   Not that they are inaccurate, but good ammo is good ammo
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#13]
How abot 18" Wylde SS Fluted?  Most benchrest guys do go with a little longer barrel...Not that 16" is wrong...Penile compensation?  :)

Midway Stoner 18" Wylde SS Fluted
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#14]
My only stockpile is in bullets alone, im a reloader. I very rarely use factory ammo. My remington 700 308 is on 6-700 round count & has never seen a factory round.  I will definatly try to keep my eyes peeled for a barrel. Im not in any hurry. One will come around eventually. I would preffer a brand new one. That way i know its been treated right. Im very paticular.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you willing to build the upper?

I have one of these, works very well. Still working up loads for it so I can't say exactly how accurate it will be.
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2267

Or this barrel.
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2542.php

I built an upper with a DPMS Mini SASS still new but has been promising so far.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive thought about doing just that. But ive never built an upper. I would really love to get this configuration:   16" HB 1 in 9 twist  free float flattop stainless
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#17]
It will depend on the individual barrel regardless of brand. It would be impossible to answer this question without trying out a particular barrel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top