Author
Posted: 10/22/2011 6:17:39 PM EST
So after being into guns for years and years, I'm finally getting around to putting together my first AR. This will be my first AR I've ever owned. I've shot them... briefly... but have always been more of an AK guy.

Anyway I figure if I'm going to own an AR, I want to make it myself instead of paying for someone to build it for me. AR's, after all, require a lot less gunsmithing than AK's to build. Anyway I have a LPK and stock set on order from Palmetto, trying to track down a stripped lower and a upper receiver. I also think I need some AR specific tools to get the ball rolling.

What my question is is what tools are necessary to build an AR? I know roller punches... and I think some receiver holding blocks right? Anyone know a one stop shop where I can get these and not pay thru the nose for them?

Also can anyone recommend a decent AR-15 upper (complete) in 5.56 for me that costs less than say 500$? I'm not worried about rail systems and fancy crap like that, I just want a lightweight basic upper with a threaded barrel and a FSB installed.

Thanks all for the help in advance.
458winmag
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2011 6:29:16 PM EST
Try a search , this seems like a weekly question.

Get a TM-23 manual
Saddlerocker
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2011 6:32:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2011 6:34:16 PM EST by Saddlerocker]
if your buying a complete upper you dont need any tools.
The lower parts kit requires a box cutter, small hammer or vice grips, tape, and maybe a castle nut wrench.
Read some guides and watch some youtube videos on installing LPK.

If your mating a stripped barrel to an upper and installing the gas block/FSB and flash hider, that will requires some tools
458winmag
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2011 6:53:19 PM EST
Box cutter, now that is funny
Saddlerocker
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2011 7:02:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By 458winmag:

Used to hold down the front pivot pin detent and spring while sliding the pin it.
it was used in a youtube installation video I watched, worked great.
Desert_AIP
I always get the shakes before a drop
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2011 7:08:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By Saddlerocker:

Used to hold down the front pivot pin detent and spring while sliding the pin it.

Having used a box cutter blade to do it, I can say a clevis pin is easier.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT__TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.html&page=14#i3570268
KC-10Boom: Cookies should never give one the shits.
thepinkmist
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2011 7:13:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2011 7:16:19 PM EST by thepinkmist]
Originally Posted By Fr1skyDing0:
So after being into guns for years and years, I'm finally getting around to putting together my first AR. This will be my first AR I've ever owned. I've shot them... briefly... but have always been more of an AK guy.

Anyway I figure if I'm going to own an AR, I want to make it myself instead of paying for someone to build it for me. AR's, after all, require a lot less gunsmithing than AK's to build. Anyway I have a LPK and stock set on order from Palmetto, trying to track down a stripped lower and a upper receiver. I also think I need some AR specific tools to get the ball rolling.

What my question is is what tools are necessary to build an AR? I know roller punches... and I think some receiver holding blocks right? Anyone know a one stop shop where I can get these and not pay thru the nose for them?

Also can anyone recommend a decent AR-15 upper (complete) in 5.56 for me that costs less than say 500$? I'm not worried about rail systems and fancy crap like that, I just want a lightweight basic upper with a threaded barrel and a FSB installed.

Thanks all for the help in advance.

all the tools you need and step by step instructions are in the sticky at the top of the build it yourself section. i may be forgetting some stuff but to give you an idea: roll pin punch set, small mallet, table mounted vice, upper reciever vise, barrel vise, barrel nut wrench, torque wrench, headspace guage, youll need a flathead for your pistol grip, pair of pliers, allen wrenches, may be a few other odds and ends. you may need/want some other stuff like loctite, the sticky calls for axle grease for the barrel nut but i just used anti-sieze for spark plugs since i had it in the garage.

you should be able to get it all from midway, its where i got mine prices are reasonable.

and if you want to buy a complete upper, go to aimsurplus and check out the spikes upper. you can get a spikes upper from them for 499 with magpul MOE handguards.
458winmag
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2011 7:16:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
Originally Posted By Saddlerocker:

Having used a box cutter blade to do it, I can say a clevis pin is easier.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT__TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.html&page=14#i3570268

Not so funny now, I was thinking cutting open a blister pack
Clevis pin is well worth the $1 it costs

wilNva
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/23/2011 5:34:10 AM EST
Any reason you didnt't go with a full parts kit from Palmetto? For $500 you could have gotten eveything minus the stripped lower.