Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2011 5:25:18 AM EDT
I have built three A1 or A2 style AR's and about to embark on an M4 style build. Aside from the 16 inch barrel and multi position stock is there anything different to be aware of? Does the barrel extension need to have the M4 feed ramp? I guess you can tell I have never built an M4 type AR before. Thanks for any info.

Steve E.................
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#1]
your title is a little misleading.

are you trying to do a clone or a style?  

if you are trying to do a clone try google... there are MANY resources out there that will give you a part by part list.

if you are doing an M4 style then just use whatever you want really.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I am building an AR that has a 16 inch barrel and a four or six position stock and I wasn't sure if I could use parts that were labeled as A2 or had to use parts that were labeled as M4. I have seen things talking about M4 feed ramps. Does it have to have an M4 feed ramp with the 16 inch barrel? I know the upper and lower internals are should be the same except maybe the buffer and tube.

Steve E............
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am building an AR that has a 16 inch barrel and a four or six position stock and I wasn't sure if I could use parts that were labeled as A2 or had to use parts that were labeled as M4. I have seen things talking about M4 feed ramps. Does it have to have an M4 feed ramp with the 16 inch barrel? I know the upper and lower internals are should be the same except maybe the buffer and tube.

Steve E............

you can use any stock assembly.. just make sure if you use a rifle (A2) stock assembly you use a rifle buffer and spring.. and if you use a carbine (collapsible) style stock use a carbine RE and buffer and spring.  

M4 feedramps deal with your barrel extension and upper receiver...  you have to match it up - has nothing to do with barrel length.

anything else?
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
You can use whatever you want, A2 and M4 are just words that mean nothing really.  The only thing you need to pay attention to is receiver extensions (rifle vs carbine length depending on what stock you use) and feed ramps (make sure the upper receiver and barrel extension match).

If you are trying to build some sort of military clone on the other hand, we need more details as to what exactly you are trying to clone.. But I am guessing you are not since you are using a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You can use whatever you want, A2 and M4 are just words that mean nothing really.  The only thing you need to pay attention to is receiver extensions (rifle vs carbine length depending on what stock you use) and feed ramps (make sure the upper receiver and barrel extension match).

If you are trying to build some sort of military clone on the other hand, we need more details as to what exactly you are trying to clone.. But I am guessing you are not since you are using a 16" barrel.

what he said. i have built both m16a2 clone and m4gery (the only 2 ars i have and built em both), and not any difference between putting them together other than 2 stock types and barrel lengths.

Link Posted: 7/24/2011 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I am just building an AR with a 16 inch barrel and collapsible stock. I just looked at my upper and it has no feed ramps at all, just a perfect circle. How do I go about getting the feed ramp cut into it? Thanks Guys for all the help.

Steve E............
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am just building an AR with a 16 inch barrel and collapsible stock. I just looked at my upper and it has no feed ramps at all, just a perfect circle. How do I go about getting the feed ramp cut into it? Thanks Guys for all the help.

Steve E............

as the graphic i posted notes... using either a rifle cut or an m4 cut barrel will work fine with a receiver without cuts.   so your good to go.  no need to cut anything.

and before you say "but but m4 cuts are better!.... or even if they aren't i want them anyways!... or dammit the chart tells me m4 cuts are desirable!" or anything like that - do not cut your upper... you will weaken it and go through the surface hardening.  

if you absolutely insist on having a upper with m4 cuts (which you DO NOT need... unless you are running full auto) then place your upper on the EE for trade or sale.. then buy another upper with m4 cuts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#8]
But I wanted to whine a little, thanks for the info. I'll leave it as is and start looking for a 16 inch barrel. Thanks, you guys are great.

Steve E..................
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top