Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2011 3:02:27 PM EDT
I'm going to need to stake a castle nut soon and was wondering what folks thought of this one?

Starrett Automatic Center Punch

I don't have any center punches (manual or auto) so I'm starting from square one here.

On the other hand, I could just get this manual set which might be handy for roll pins and such.

General Tool Center Punch Set 5 piece

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm not that tool savvy yet.

Also, I'm looking at getting one from Midway because I need to get some reloading supplies while I'm at it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Eh, I decided to just grab the manual set. I know how to use a hammer. ;)
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I use an auto punch for the castle nut stake. Works well and much easier than a regular punch IMO.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I use an autopunch too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm going to need to stake a castle nut soon and was wondering what folks thought of this one?

Starrett Automatic Center Punch

I don't have any center punches (manual or auto) so I'm starting from square one here.

On the other hand, I could just get this manual set which might be handy for roll pins and such.

General Tool Center Punch Set 5 piece

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm not that tool savvy yet.

Also, I'm looking at getting one from Midway because I need to get some reloading supplies while I'm at it.

Don't use those center punches for roll pins. You'll end up flaring the ends of the pin making a real mess.

Get a set of roll pin punches for roll pins, right tool for the job.

LINK

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used an automatic center punch on 4 or 5 lowers, works great.  You might have to punch is a dozen times or more, but it's easy, especially if you don't have a proper work bench or other tools.  Having used both, I'd recommend the $10 General Tool auto center punch from Lowes or Home Depot over the Starrett.  It just seemed to work better and displace more metal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Matt:

Agree with the previous statement.  There is a differenence between a Staking (prick) Punch and a Center Punch - Angle of the grind.  I worked in a machine shop for about 8 years.  I will say this - It really doesn't matter between manual or auto.  If you are going to use something to pop a quick centering for drilling...The Auto Center Punch is for you.  If I was going to stake a nut on firearm, I would use the manual.  You can over do it with a hammer, but I know how to control a hammer.  

The Auto Centers are fantastic, but you get what you pay for.  I am not saying $30 is not enough.  However, if you need to use it alot, buy a good one.  The springs will never be as good as the first time you use it.  Hence, the spiking of the punch (so to speak) 8-10 times later in it's life.  I like the manual set you were looking at.  

Be careful and you can grind the proper angle needed for a STAKING or Prick punch.  There is a bit of difference in the ANGLE of the tip.  You can modify the center punches by grinding a new tip.  Just make sure that you keep the new angle centered in the center of the punch.

Try this for $5.99
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25532/Product/SINGLE_PRICK_PUNCHES

RobF  

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW, I did order a set of pin punches because I remembered (from reading here before ) that the standard center punches are not the right tool for roll pins. This is what I ordered:

Lyman Roll Pin Punch Set 4-piece

ETA - ...and thanks for the all the help in keeping me straight on this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Matt:

Agree with the previous statement.  There is a difference between a Staking (prick) Punch and a Center Punch - Angle of the grind.
Rob, are you saying that the center punches I ordered will not work as-is for staking a castle nut? Please advise.

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, I used an old center punch for staking my castle nut. Worked fine with a few taps from a hammer, and looks pretty professional, too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Grab anything you have handy.

All you have to do is bend a little metal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#11]
spin off the back and stretch the spring and have a go at any stake job ,its also how I do my bcg screws
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Staking a castle nut is not a science.  Just use a center punch and hammer.  Hell, some people will use a screwdriver.  I believe in using the proper tool for the job but all this talk about center punches, auto punches and prick punches is way over the top in my opinion.  Personally I would not spend $30 on an automatic punch unless I had other uses for the tool.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I appreciate the input DitchDr. As I have never staked a castle nut (or staked anything for that matter), I just want to make sure I do it as close to right as possible the first time, that's all.

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I use one like that just to start the hole and so my hand and hammer punch dosent slip Ive mared a couple before I learned what to do....Another thing that works well is to get one of your regular punches and grind it to a point like a screwdriver and use that to stake them... This one will also work on the bolt screws to the gass key.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top