Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Still, wished you lived nearby.  
Seems like you don't take "Can't be done"  for an answer.
Does the brake  need to rotated 90' from your drawing?
Edit.  never mind.  I see it now
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Great write up.

I'm thinking of building a .458 SOCOM before long and wondered about milling it myself.  Saw a youtube video of some dude using a dremel to open the ejection port.  Your method looks way more civilized, but way more complicated.

Where did you get the plus sized ejection port cover?

Link Posted: 4/23/2010 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Seems like you don't take "Can't be done"  for an answer.

More like I can't wait indefinitely for a part.  I'll just make it.

I haven't cut the steel yet, don't get too impressed.   We'll see what happens.  Should work on my tiny machines... I think.

One way to find out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Your method looks way more civilized, but way more complicated.

I don't know if using a Dremel is more complicated, but it would certainly be more difficult.  I can't imagine that turning out well.  You would have to be a master craftsman to make it come out right with that method.  Using machines is simple.  Just measure and cut...   but always measure twice.  Just about everything I've learned, I learned the hard way.  Don't learn the hard way.  Measure, calculate and then measure and calculate again.

Quoted:
Where did you get the plus sized ejection port cover?

There is a fella' over on the 50beowulf.com forums that sells them.  That's where I got mine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeeow!
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Updated Drawing:

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Your so bad ass! What are you using to draw that brake out?
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice build!

I have so much equipment that was manufactured all over the world that when something brakes, it could be months before I could get a replacement part. I have an appreciation and love for the local machinest that says, "through it in the rockwell, I can get you one made by noon."
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#9]
TAG!

Awesome work OP!
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi everyone

I'm very intrigued at the idea of building my own custom Beowulf, but like many of the other members on here I don't have quality machine tools available to me to open the ejection port for the Beowulf .50 round.

So, my question is, would this "Heavy Duty" upper from Mega Machine Shop proved the larger ejection port needed to avoid extra machining??

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1871

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, my question is, would this "Heavy Duty" upper from Mega Machine Shop proved the larger ejection port needed to avoid extra machining??

Potentially, it looks larger than a standard port.  Contact Mega and see if they'll give you the dimensions of the port.  That way you'll know for sure before you order.

My guess is that it would need to be opened up a bit more, but that would be a lot easier to do if you don't need to worry about the dust cover.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your so bad ass! What are you using to draw that brake out?

Just good ol' Microsoft Visio.  Nothing fancy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have an appreciation and love for the local machinest that says, "through it in the rockwell, I can get you one made by noon."

I can't get anything done by noon.  I just spent the majority of the weekend on that break, and I'm probably only halfway done.  Also, there are still plenty of opportunities for me to make a mistake, and I seem to have a knack for making mistakes.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Make me one, make me one! And while you're at it, whip me up a box of those brass .50's too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Good stuff. Anxiously awaiting more updates . I've been following your muzzle brake thread as well, simply fascinating.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Friday vanity bump.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an appreciation and love for the local machinest that says, "through it in the rockwell, I can get you one made by noon."

I can't get anything done by noon.  I just spent the majority of the weekend on that break, and I'm probably only halfway done.  Also, there are still plenty of opportunities for me to make a mistake, and I seem to have a knack for making mistakes.

Knack for mistakes? You and me both! Why do you think I'd be at the machine shop unless I did something dumb and broke something expensive?
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Man - is there anyone that I can hire to mill out the opening of an upper for my build?  Was thinking of building on a c3 upper...

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Range Report???
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Range Report???

We'll get there.  Almost ready.  One step at a time.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#21]
The test firing was a complete success, new updates soon...

Video...
Custom .50 Beowulf vs. Watermelon
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The test firing was a complete success, new updates soon...

Video...

Custom .50 Beowulf vs. Watermelon

That is freaking awesome. I think I saw the watermelon shit itself before the round hit.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#23]
That was AAAAWWWWEEEESSSSOOOMMMMMEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bye bye watermelon
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#24]
nice right up

i heart .50 beowulf
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#25]
WOW!!!! next year there will be a half mile patch of watermelons growing.

ETA: Post #223 went to a good thread...
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
WOW!!!! next year there will be a half mile patch of watermelons growing.

It doesn't really work like that here in AZ.

Quoted:
ETA: Post #223 went to a good thread...

Nice!  I appreciate your interest, thanks 223.

Check out the new master topic here..
Master Topic...

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Range Report???

No range report yet, but I did create a test fire topic.
Test fire topic - CLICK HERE

A real range report would contain load data and evaluate accuracy.  We'll get there eventually, starting the process of working up loads presently.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top