User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#1]
sign me up when ya have one!

awesome work on all of yours, inspired me to pick up an 80% lower and put my drill press to work on something other than motorcycle parts!
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 10:27:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RottnJP] [#2]
Originally Posted By VaderSpade:
Originally Posted By Ryo:
Nice.. now you can make your own stuff, as well as engrave.  Nice.

You bought that to run a business or just for a hobby?

I hope to work it into a business, but I think that will be a ways down the road. I do plan on holding some U-CNC build parties. :) we'll be doing AR-15's, AR-10'S, 10/22's, and at some point 1011's.

I am...  Speechless.

Between Geek Pride that guys like you are able to do this (I've thought about it, but I'm too chicken to take the plunge with just a drill press) and pride that the fundamental spirit of the 2nd Amendment is so strong in the DIY community, and the way you are sharing your effort and knowledge...  Randy, I just have to salute you.  You sound like a remarkable fellow.  Keep up the good work!!

P.S.: If you ever open up one of your build parties to ARFCOM'ers/NRA lifers, sign me up!  Seriously, I'd scrape the frequent flyer miles together, or *something* to make a vacation out of it...  I'd love to have such a knowledgable resource anywhere around here in New England who was so willing to share what he's learned.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:01:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#3]
Nice work, a definate plus 1 on the future build parties...email me if I can help in anyway, Including rounding up some donations for you.

Every little bit helps, I know that bit of machinery is not cheap...

Best Regards,
Dr69er
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 1:36:36 AM EDT
[#4]
i just reread the first page and have one suggestion

when you're doing the etching you use a cutter then the transfer paper and weed it out once it's applied to the lower...i've always been taught to weed the letter out and then tranfer it...
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone have any tips to cut the trigger slot.  I've tried with an extra long 5/16" endmill but the slot went crooked and had to clean it up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a long 5/16th and have a little wobble that I clean up with a file. I can see where it can be a problem but it’s not bad on my mill.

When I started with the old style 80% lowers I cut the trigger slot from the bottom. I just measured it out, marked it off and cut it with short end mill.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jfk:
Does anyone have any tips to cut the trigger slot.  I've tried with an extra long 5/16" endmill but the slot went crooked and had to clean it up.

Sounds like you have a lot of deflection. I've never done one of these, but I guess if I had that problem, I would mark a line where the center of the slot should be (length ways) & then drill a series of holes along the line. Then I'd come back with the end mill & clean if up.

That's what me Dad & I always did if we needed to cut a slot in something back when we were farming. Except we only had a hand drill & used a file to clean it up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#8]
quick question,

seeing as how it seems like you skate around the typical ffl requirements that come with a typical lower receiver, do you have to register this lower receiver or run into any type of legal issue with these?
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hometownhunter099:
quick question,

seeing as how it seems like you skate around the typical ffl requirements that come with a typical lower receiver, do you have to register this lower receiver or run into any type of legal issue with these?

I don't think it's skating.  Federal law allows an individual to build firearms as long as all Federal, State, and Local laws are met.  If one is making a firearm for their own personal use then there's no issue.  If a person builds these with the intent to sell them, then they must obtain all the necessary licenses to be a manufacturer.  There are no requirements to marking these receivers.  It is suggested you mark your lower in case it's stolen or there's a problem identifying your gun.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn I wish I had a mill.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I may get a group buy going for those guys who may be Interested in 75%/80% AR-15 Forged/Billet Builds...Perhaps a small build party as well...
Their are a couple of good places that have really good quality 75%/80% "paperweights" . I been talking to a few of owners/vendors and
It seems like the smallest quantity for a group discount is 10 pieces...
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I am looking for a 80% too so count me in if its going to be soon!. Love this writeup and I saved it for future reference
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By imburner:
I am looking for a 80% too so count me in if its going to be soon!. Love this writeup and I saved it for future reference

You got it. We will be talking to one of the top three high quality 75%/80% vendors and we will post all three AR "lowers"
and do a quality check on all three and then select the one with the best quality,features, and price, We will also be adding
more Info very soon on 75%/80% builds on the website below.

http://illirianengineeringc.ipage.com/65mm––68mm-pcc-pics-video-clips-charts-load-data-email.html
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Dr69er:
I may get a group buy going for those guys who may be Interested in 75%/80% AR-15 Forged/Billet Builds...Perhaps a small build party as well...
Their are a couple of good places that have really good quality 75%/80% "paperweights" . I been talking to a few of owners/vendors and
Interested.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 11:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#15]
Originally Posted By frtyfivsevnty:
Interested.

OK, I will set-up a new thread for the group buy and will have a new blueprint/tech drawing on the website specific
to the latest type/style of 75%/80% "lowers", they will be to Mil-Spec dimensions..."lowers" will be 7075 T-6 aluminum
forgings or billet 6061-T6511 aluminum CNC cut to Mil-Spec. Only the absolute best quality suppliers will considered.

It will be just a matter of which vendor will give us the best price on the "lowers" and jigs, as well as fastest delivery.

The new blueprint/tech drawing with be on the website by Sunday night Feb.12th, 2012 .

http://illirianengineeringc.ipage.com/
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 12:27:23 AM EDT
[#16]
bump- Awesome work.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#17]
For those who emailed us about the 80% specific PCR Blueprints/Shop prints for the DPMS LR-308 Pattern lower receiver,we
have the prints sets ready for delivery...for those who have prepaid for the prints they will be mailed-out Monday via first
class mail.

For those who are Interested in a set, please email us at: [email protected] for futher details...

http://illirianengineeringc.ipage.com/

Many thanks to Vader Spade and ARF.com .
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Do I get a discount on a couple of prints? :)
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Randy,

Yes you will. Gratis !

Email me your mailing address so I can send them to you.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Vic
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Randy,

Yes you will. Gratis !

Email me your mailing address so I can send them to you.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Vic

Your prints are on the way...

Link Posted: 4/13/2012 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Awsome VaderSpade ....nice to see some people like you putting your talent at work for yourself!
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 3:10:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VaderSpade] [#22]
Dr69er "Your prints are on the way... "

I got them and they look great. Thank You Very Much.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:22:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#23]
Dr69er "Your prints are on the way... "

I got them and they look great. Thank You Very Much.

Your welcome, anytime.

Thanks for all your hard work.

OH, BTW, I will send you a new a revised
AR-15 Blueprint as soon as its ready...

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I just completed my first of five 80% lowers.  I used jig and lower from tactical machining. They are local to me in deland fl and they are super nice. When I picked them up they showed me around their  fulfillment area and I got to look at their personal toys. I will continue to use their components.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Amazing!
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#26]
A Splash of Color!

I’ve wanted to do some splash anodizing for quite a while, and now that I have my mill problems behind me I found a little time.
I think they turned out great.

Link Posted: 8/29/2012 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I ordered a 80% lower receiver that will be here Friday. I also ordered an end mill set at Little Machine Shop, which I just received. Now I realize that the end mills are probably too short. The total length is 2 3/8". Will these work? Anyone have suggestions of where to purchase correct ones?
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Web site looks like it's down right now but I use these guys. http://www.use-enco.com/

Originally Posted By mtaylor:
Well, I ordered a 80% lower receiver that will be here Friday. I also ordered an end mill set at Little Machine Shop, which I just received. Now I realize that the end mills are probably too short. The total length is 2 3/8". Will these work? Anyone have suggestions of where to purchase correct ones?

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the reply. Their web site is up so I will be ordering tomorrow. Plan on ordering the following: 3/8 End Mill and 5/16 End Mill. This my first build and I will be using a drill press.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By mtaylor:

travers.com. If they don't have it, you don't need it!

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Growing up the family business was raising honeybees. I built this one as a tribute my father who has been gone about 5 years now.

That's Dad's signature scanned from my second grade report card, and the family business logo. 37-63 was the brand assigned by the county and burnt into everyone of our beehives.

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Loved reading through this thread. Thank you so much for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Growing up the family business was raising honeybees. I built this one as a tribute my father who has been gone about 5 years now.

That's Dad's signature scanned from my second grade report card, and the family business logo. 37-63 was the brand assigned by the county and burnt into everyone of our beehives.

Beautiful, both the anodizing color and the tribute to your dad. Well done, man, well done!
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd have given you props if you had "Fly like a butterfly" on the other side
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#35]

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/VaderSpade/Dscn0820.jpg

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/VaderSpade/Dscn0819.jpg

Nothing short of Beauifull...Great work as usual.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks, I've been doing a little engraving over at CalGuns.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=588094
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Cats and Dogs

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I just got the upper out of the sealer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I love your ...

What color next topic
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Not sure if this has been addressed or not, I can't find the ATF rules on 80% lowers. What is the legality of someone renting time on another person's CNC mill, to finish their 80% lower? Say I'm in the business of manufacturing an 80% lower. I sell the lower to a customer, and they then rent time on my CNC mill to finish the receiver. Would this be legal? What If the manufacturer has the G-code already written to machine the FCG pocket. If the customer sets up the equipment, and runs the G-code on the machine he is renting, is it still legal?
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#41]
You do some amazing work Vaderspade. Wish I had neighbors like you.
One question no one has been able to answer for me is; If I build my own firearm what happens to it when I die? Can I leave it to family or does it have to be destroyed?
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By chrtra1:
You do some amazing work Vaderspade. Wish I had neighbors like you.
One question no one has been able to answer for me is; If I build my own firearm what happens to it when I die? Can I leave it to family or does it have to be destroyed?

I'm not a lawyer and this is just my understanding of the laws.
Firearms can't be made by an individual for sale.
They can however be sold or transferred at some point down the road.
If they are transferred all the rules that apply to transferring any firearm apply.
This is why it's a good idea to have a name and serial number engraved on them.

You can etch the information into the lower yourself as explained in this tutorial, or you can have an engraving service do it for you. If you have someone do it for you it should be done while the lower is still an 80% lower, or done by someone with an FFL.

I don't have an FFL but I can engrave 80% lowers as long as no work has been done on them.

Check it out here; http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=588094
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 12:00:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VaderSpade] [#43]
Originally Posted By Hellstorm:
Not sure if this has been addressed or not, I can't find the ATF rules on 80% lowers. What is the legality of someone renting time on another person's CNC mill, to finish their 80% lower? Say I'm in the business of manufacturing an 80% lower. I sell the lower to a customer, and they then rent time on my CNC mill to finish the receiver. Would this be legal? What If the manufacturer has the G-code already written to machine the FCG pocket. If the customer sets up the equipment, and runs the G-code on the machine he is renting, is it still legal?

Again I'm not lawyer, and this is a BIG gray area. From what I've read; A machine shop that is NOT in the firearms business that occasionally rents time on their machines is O.K.

IF you are in the business of manufacturing an 80% lowers I think you would be crossing the line if finished receivers were coming out of your shop.

I've talked to a few manufactures of 80% lowers and they have told me that they can not even included instructions, others include CD's with full instructions?????
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I plan on starting a website at some point but in the mean time I started a Facebook page under the name Vader Spade. There’s not a lot of content just yet but I thought I could use a place to organize some pictures, and give everyone a place to check out some engraving and maybe get some ideas.

Check out the albums and send me a friend request.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#45]

I plan on starting a website at some point but in the mean time I started a Facebook page under the name Vader Spade. There’s not a lot of content just yet but I thought I could use a place to organize some pictures, and give everyone a place to check out some engraving and maybe get some ideas.

Check out the albums and send me a friend request.

I typed your name into facebook alot of people come up but not your page.

Link Posted: 11/25/2012 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I've got a website up now. www.VaderSpade.com
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#47]
once your lowers are completed do you have to register them?  I will most likely be buying some lowers and jigs, any that i complete i will be keeping for myself.  i am somewhat of a hoarder of firearms lol Just dont know the laws about building your own guns thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Go to your HTF and ask these questions for a more correct answer.  The Federal rules are pretty cut and dried....but each state may have their own set of laws that need to be adhered to also.  As for the Federal rules, a simple search would have turned them up for you.  The ATF has a pretty good website to answer all of those questions.

advntrjnky

Originally Posted By 1320ydsniper:
once your lowers are completed do you have to register them?  I will most likely be buying some lowers and jigs, any that i complete i will be keeping for myself.  i am somewhat of a hoarder of firearms lol Just dont know the laws about building your own guns thanks

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 4:15:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Wow man I love these lowers. They're beautiful.

The bee one is the best I've seen out of your works.

I think the signature is the best tho. If I had the equipment to do this I would definitely try it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for this thread! Awesome write up. I now have access to a mill and someone who knows what to do with it. Now I just need to find the parts...
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top