Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2010 2:35:19 PM EDT
Do you guys think the Wolff Extra Power Spring is an upgrade from the standard buffer spring?

I heard it takes the twang out of the buffer and can lesson recoil.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I use one. I run a a2 stock with extra weights I scavenged from another buffer. I have very little recoil. My rifle shoots great. I may be switching soon to a ctr that I like the looks of better. I will probably go with a hydraulic buffer when I make the switch.

INFO:

Bangz  [Team Member]10/25/2008 11:30:28 AM EST
I 've been down this road before.

The cheapest and easiest way is to make one. Take a normal rifle buffer, punch out the roll pin, take the rubber bumper out. You may need pliers to get it out, twisting it a bit. Replace the last metal insert (hollow metal spacer) with 2 lead weights (and a rubber spacer in between the 2 weights) that you cannibalized from a spare or another dissassembled buffer.

Your new "heavy" rifle buffer will weigh 6.4 oz (the std rifle buffer weighs 5.15 oz.)
All of mine are 6.4 oz

To make it a little heavier, you could also substitute a "tungsten" weight from a carbine "H" buffer in place of one of the lead weights.

An alternative to using a heavy buffer, is to buy a Wolffe Springs Xtra Power Action Spring for an AR-15. It cost about $13.95 and will have the same effect as heavy buffer. If you're shooting M193 or M855, you can use both the heavy buffer and action spring, and your rifle will feel like shooting a .22 short

Now, if you have money to burn,
you can buy a Counterpoise / MGI cyclic rate reducer buffer which weighs in at 7.4 oz. and cost $150. (Definitely not worth doing) or
you can dump the guts of your rilfle buffer and machine (I'd have to a machine shop and it would not be worth doing) a brass dowel to fit inside for a target weight of about 7 oz.. Just remember, the length of the dowel is important because whatever you put inside the rifle buffer has to be able to slide back and forth to delay the return stroke of the bolt carrier.

If you experience any extraction/ejection (FTE) issues while using a heavy buffer, you may want to adjust the weight of the buffer, use a standard spring and/or use an xtra power extractor spring and O ring or D ring. Denny's has a BCM bolt extractor upgrade kit for $4.95
see http://global-tactical.com/bravocompanymfgboltupgradekit.aspx

Buffer weights:

9mm 5.5 0z
H3 5.6 oz
H2 4.7 oz
H 3.7 oz
std 2.9 oz
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I use them in my A1 stocked rifles, with a standard buffer and have not had any problems.  Yes, I think that it's an upgrade (IMHO).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top