User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2009 3:29:47 AM EDT
cany anybody tell me if blackthorne is a good company to buy from
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#1]
in short no.  google there many different company names, hesse, blackthorne and vulcan.  pretty much all bad
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 4:04:05 AM EDT
[#2]
even if it will not be shot more then a hundred times
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Here it comes.  Just say no.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 4:21:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Please use the SEARCH option

dear God..... awful company

Link Posted: 12/22/2009 4:59:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There's a good chance a Blackthorne won't be shot more than 100 times whether you like it or not.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 5:26:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/22/2009 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Lots of Blackthorne inquires in the last week. Don't allow their low cost to be appealing to you. Just don't buy from them & you will thank us later. They are total & utter crap.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 6:34:12 AM EDT
[#8]
from hesse  to vulcan now, blackthorne............

what a joker nasty azz clown outfit !!

changing the name of the dirt bag opperation, inorder to continue to scam people.......

where theres confusion, theres illusion...........and when theres illusion, theres profit !!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#9]
mine works fine , I've put around 750 rounds through it. I did notice they raised their prices , so the savings isn't all that good compared to other companies . Especially when you know any site sponsors will take care of any problems you might have. When I purchased mine I paid $369 for a 20'' A3 . That was cheap , and comparing it to my M&A middy , there wasn't that much ''noticable'' difference in quality . The Blackthorne metal parts all look to be DPMS . The stock and handgaurds do look a little cheaper in quality .
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i think that is a sin, isn't it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
cany anybody tell me if blackthorne is a good company to buy from

COMPLETE, UTTER, TOTAL, SHIT!

Run, don't walk away from it!

What does it tell you that a company is on their fourth name change! This time they went as far as trying to claim they are over 100 miles away from their actual address.

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#12]
AJNTSSA!  

blacthorne=vulcan=hesse=POS
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess i F &*ked up. I  bought an AK romy parts kit from them last year- It went together well and everything was good. No problems. I was shopping for a AR parts kit online and found the del-ton kits, but they were supposedly going to take Months before they would be able to ship. I was looking at the AKpartskits.com and found that they had the AR kits in stock and ready to ship. From the info i found on blackthorne, i understand the Uppers are made by LAR and the barrels are mossberg. It seems to me that they use decent parts, and the kit i got was $100 less than del-ton and everything was there. It fits my billet lower perfectly and as far as i can tell, looks and works correctly. I just finished putting it together and have not test fired it yet. If their stuff is no good- Why? How do you tell the difference in makers and or quality? What do i need to look for in my kit that i may need to check or fix?
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#14]
not this shit again
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#15]
This is a first hand experience. When i first got my rifle and before I joined here all i wanted to be super tactical. Flat top upper, rails all that crap. Well i took the rifle to a buddy of mine that builds his rifles and he had nice ones too. He tells me I can get what I need on the cheap through Blackthorne. I look at their site and I say ok lets do this. I get my stuff get it put on, after a few weeks I got to fire it and i have a bolt action AR. So I do a once over and my gas block is canted, my fault thats fine. I fix that go to test it again I get about half a mag then its on malfunction after another, and my forward assist came flying back in to my face.

So at this point I'm pissed I go home do some research on the company and find a laundry list of problems, out of spec rails, soft metals, poor machining. Well after doing the research, I decided to go back to the original look of my rifle. So I take it and the original parts to an reputable gun shop that I do business with all the time, to use there back room with there smith. As I change it all out I find, the rails I got striped out after being taken off, the thread crumbled, my gas block was out of spec and the metal was so soft that is warped with the heat. My upper was out of spec for the FA and that just like the gas block the gas port was machined like garbage and had warped. In short don't buy it its crap, it cost me almost 300 dollars to learn that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Why is does it seem like the people who stand up for Hesse / Vulcan / Blackthorne / Velocity all are low post count noobs?

Odd?

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I guess i F &*ked up. I  bought an AK romy parts kit from them last year- It went together well and everything was good. No problems. I was shopping for a AR parts kit online and found the del-ton kits, but they were supposedly going to take Months before they would be able to ship. I was looking at the AKpartskits.com and found that they had the AR kits in stock and ready to ship. From the info i found on blackthorne, i understand the Uppers are made by LAR and the barrels are mossberg. It seems to me that they use decent parts, and the kit i got was $100 less than del-ton and everything was there. It fits my billet lower perfectly and as far as i can tell, looks and works correctly. I just finished putting it together and have not test fired it yet. If their stuff is no good- Why? How do you tell the difference in makers and or quality? What do i need to look for in my kit that i may need to check or fix?

AAAND the low post count Blackthorne supporters show up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
not this shit again

+1
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I notice that they are advertising in shotgun news.  That probably is a good explanation for these threads.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

the reason it was less than the "entry" level delton is its made of cheap metal, more than likely chinese crap. no different than any other tools. you can buy a cheap chinese socket set or a good american made one, that will last generation after generation. if you just look at it and use it once a year, you may not have any issues. but if you use it hard,on a regular basis......the cheap shit breaks,period. now some people can spot a cheap chinese socket over a USA made one,some cant. same with AR parts,depending on what it is.

heck there are stories like the one above, for years now, where they dont even run out of the gate. its not just dreamed up!! the sad part is, all it takes is another $100-$200 more and you can get a BCM !! or what ever other much better brand out there.  then if you go to sell the joker stuff,  you will have to give it away on the used market,because NO ONE WANTS IT. you will lose all the money you tried to save in the end !!

I  hope it treats you well........if you ever end up keeping it. best to put on a face sheild when you do shoot it !!

Link Posted: 12/22/2009 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
not this shit again

+1

Link Posted: 12/22/2009 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Maybe you should do more homework.... for one, Mossberg doesn't make AR barrels
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
for one, Mossberg doesn't make AR barrels

I've seen other postings quoting them saying they have Mossberg manufacture their barrels.

I also have noticed that under their guise as "Blackthorne" they also are known as "AK Parts Kits LLC"

So we now have Hesse (the original) operating under FIVE DIFFERENT COMPANY NAMES!!!

PursuitSS

Link Posted: 12/22/2009 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Fuck yes, in on one!

The answer is NO

Link Posted: 12/22/2009 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bolt,bolt carrier, FP, and pretty much any other part. the BBL MIGHT be salvageable IF hesse didn't make it.

Agreed.

Link Posted: 12/22/2009 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I was talking to someone recently who told me that Blackthorne was just as good as Colt.  Unfortunately we were unable to finish our conversation because a small blue bus pulled up, the guy put on his helmet and was off.  For anyone here who is even considering coming to the defense of this company, your bus should be along shortly........
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#28]
They are crap. Search around and you will see why.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why is does it seem like the people who stand up for Hesse / Vulcan / Blackthorne / Velocity all are low post count noobs?

Odd?

PursuitSS

Probably because I could care less if my rifle impresses anyone , thats not why I bought it! Apparently your a dumbass if you don't set on your computer all day running up your post count .
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odd?

PursuitSS

Probably because I could care less if my rifle impresses anyone , thats not why I bought it! Apparently your a dumbass if you don't set on your computer all day running up your post count .

The good thing is, the only chance in all probability of you needing an AR in a SHTF situation is while you are playing Rouge Warrior! In my case I DON'T have that luxury! Peoples lives depend on whether my weapon functions.

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I might have a low post count, because i just started coming here. Sorry i dont sit at the computer all day, even if i did i wouldnt be at one place all day just sitting around bashing . Yes im a NOOB to the AR world, but ive owned all sorts of guns over the years, and have many. An AR might not even be my first choice when it comes time to pick one up and use it. Maybe its yours. Good for You. Maybe you have a full wall of ARs and have the "Best" ones built. Maybe you spent thousands of dollars on yours. I dont care. I agree that a quality built , reliable weapon is necessary, but im not an army man who shoots one gun everyday. I guess you rich guys, all went out and spent the big bucks on your first AR, and its the only one you will ever need, and its never broke down or had any problems- because its a "xxxx"brand, and not a piece of shit blackthorne. Im not defending blackthorne or their products, you can talk shit all you want, maybe you had a bad experience. So far mine has been good. I did some research on their stuff before i bought it, and the reviews were mixed. I found many satisfied buyers.  Most of the bashing on them comes from right here on this site by users with 1000s of posts.  Have you actually owned their stuff? Or are you just shit talkers and rumor spreaders? This guy said this- so its junk. I thoroughly took everything apart, inspected it, cleaned it, and lubricated it. Everything thing i got in my parts kit looks good, tolerances are tight, parts are strait, pins are correct, action seems smooth. Yes i can tell the difference between chinese made stuff and american made stuff. I dont see those differences here. What does made in USA mean anymore anyway? Made by illegal aliens? Made by some foriegner who stole an americans job cause he'll work for half as much? Its all the same shit, made with the same metals that came from the same factories- in china, mexico or some other 3rd world country that now has all of our old jobs.  I guess im driving the pinto, while you guys drive the mercedes. Oh well, kick me some more.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 7:13:17 AM EDT
[#33]
No problem. Im not salesman for ANYONE. I will just use my pinto and let you know how it works. Good, Bad, or ugly.....
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Have you actually owned their stuff? Or are you just shit talkers and rumor spreaders? This guy said this- so its junk.

Here is a reply I made in another Blackthorne post:

I have PERSONAL experience with three of their PLASTIC receivers. One is mine and has not failed, it has less than 250 5.56 rounds through it and is now the home of a CMMG .22 conversion, one I sold to a coworker, it broke at the receiver ring where the receiver extension screws in (buffer tube) after 400 rounds, the third belongs to a friend of mine and it hasn't failed, BUT it also has had very few rounds fired.

NOT a good track record.

Quoted:
What does made in USA mean anymore anyway? Made by illegal aliens? Made by some foriegner who stole an americans job cause he'll work for half as much? Its all the same shit, made with the same metals that came from the same factories- in china, mexico or some other 3rd world country that now has all of our old jobs.  

There is no way in hell you can tell if they used decent quality metals in the construction without having a Metallurgical Laboratory analyze the composition. Keep in mind that 7075 T6 Aluminum is NOT cheap, but is correct for receivers.

PursuitSS  

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#36]
my 1st build has a barrel from blackthorne. i didn't know any better, as they were actually recommended to me. i bought it in march 2009. when you couldn't find barrels, BCG, or LPKs to save your life. i put 2000 rounds though it this summer. no issues.

that being said, i lucked out. the barrel probably was not made by blackthorne. well it WAS my 1st AR build and i intended it to be a range plinker only.

i have since been educated thanks to this forum. my 2nd build is SO much better. i used a 14.5" DD CHF on this one. i CAN see a definite difference between the quality of the 2 barrels.

the blackthorne barrel is going to be a dedicated .22lr upper. cuz i don't trust it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted: Apparently your a dumbass if you don't set on your computer all day running up your post count .

Dumbass, is that correct? So you meant 'sit' on your computer all day not 'set' right?

That some funny shit right there, I dont care who you are!

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes I'm a noob,but I thought I'd throw my.02 into the discussion. Bought a Blackthorne kit about a year ago (XM177,A3 upper). Built it on a DPMS lower,but have since switched to a YHM lower. This was my first build,and yes I did need to do some work to get it to run. The key was out of spec and the gas tube would not properly engage(wouldn't fully go into battery). Once this was fixed I have had no problems with it (500+) rds. through it.I have had no problem hitting the steel at 200 and 300 yds.with it using steel case ammo. I do realize that this was not the best way to go,but with my budget, was the best option at the time(for me). I have added, as money has allowed, a few upgrades that makes it more enjoyable to shoot,such as a CTAC optical sight, YHM flip up front sight, FF handguard,and ambi safety. I have since then,through this board and fellow shooters at my local club, become better educated on the AR platform. I will in the future build a few more AR's (not on Blackthorne kits),but will continue to shoot this one till it flies apart,if it ever does. Time will tell. If nothing else,if they(liberals) come and take it,I'm not out that much! I agree with the more experienced shooters on this page, quality does come with a price,but not always a high one. I have found that out as well. I'm not defending Blackthorne,merely stating my own experiences with their kit.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted: Apparently your a dumbass if you don't set on your computer all day running up your post count .

Dumbass, is that correct? So you meant 'sit' on your computer all day not 'set' right?

You got me , a little 12:00 A.M. key rage  This is a good site , but there are more gun snobs on here than I can take sometimes . No I wouldn't suggest our government arm our military with blackthorne rifles , However mine works and I'm happy with it . And as I stated with the price increase its not that good of a deal , and the site sponsors will back what they sell . Merry Christmas and a big thanks to our vets
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 3:25:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 5:33:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
it's not about being a gun snob.

it's about steering new shooters to this platform into a quality built rifle they will enjoy and will serve them well for years to come, and one that will retain some semblance of resale down the road.

it's about giving GOOD advise. We don't care what you decide to buy, it's your money. But to be honest we would be doing anyone a disservice recommending a sub par manufacturer with YEARS of bad reputation.

Link Posted: 12/24/2009 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well I've never tried sitting on my computer.  It doesn't seem comfortable.  However I do sit AT my computer while using it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Its time to let this thread die a peaceful death and save us all.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#45]
I bought my first upper from them because I was a cheap noob...  Out of the box I was excited as hell, it looked awesome.  At the range I got frustrated... the front sight was canted so far to the right that with the windage maxed out using irons, it wouldn't zero.  Decided I'd use a scope to fix it but when the scope was supposedly zero'd it would shoot groups that were too inconsistent to justify buying ammo for it.  It wasn't just frustrating though, it was embarrassing having my brother and friend watching me struggle and then come their turn we find out it's not just me...  These issues lead me to this website where I found out it wasn't just my upper having issues...  I sold the upper for pennies to a gunsmith who was convinced he could fix it.   Don't make the mistake of buying blackthorne..  it's not worth the hassle or ammo wasted especially if you're new to the AR.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Your entitled to your opinion.  I own Blackthorn myself.  My experience suggest they seem capable of selling rifles that are down right dangerous.  I have an upper from them that is so out of spec I had no choice but to attack it with power tools to get it working.  Since getting it running all signs are pointing to the barrel being a capable shooter.  I think it would be difficult to source all of the parts of a rifle from others vende'rs seconds.  Maybe I just lucky with the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Gotta throw this in! I have had a Blackthorne kit gun for 3 years now and even posted when I got it back then.The dam thing is still going, no problems atoll, still would use it in a pinch.Still have my Colts though and my others.Just can't say a bad thing about the Blackthorne! Yet.It has maybe 7 or 8 grand thru it now.Hell, who knows? LOL.These discussions always make me laugh.I love it when the Colt pimps mawl a noobie about those cheap kits!
Link Posted: 12/25/2009 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#48]
My first AR was built on a Hesse lower (not a plastic/fiber/polymer or whatever, they should have never been made, by ANY manufacturer, much less purchased). Being a nooblet, all I could read was "AR 15 stripped lower", got it from a Shotgun News ad "back in the day". The first one they shipped had a magwell that had been crushed by the stamp or rollmark equipment. No way a magazine would go in there! So the FFL returns it for exchange, no problemo. Next one is fine, not pretty, but hell, I didn't know any better. Well, it looked better than the J & T rifle kit I put on it...just like nowadays: CANTED FRONT SIGHT BASE!!!! No zeroing that baby, until I loosened up the barrel a bit and straightened it enough to get zeroed. Thousands of rounds through that rifle now, no problems to speak of. Well, what I'm trying to get to is: a lot of companies, even the "big guys", put out crap. Blackthorne is only one of them. YMMV Peace to all.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top