Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2009 1:04:26 PM EDT
I dont want to heat up a tank for parkerizing. is there any way or thing that  can be used to touch up small spots..  I marked up FSB taking it off to thread barrel.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]
only 2 ways i know of....:)

1.) sand (media) blast and repark

or  

2.) black sharpie
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Alumablack
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Alumablack

Will Alumablack work on steel? I thought it was just for aluminum, which it works great on, by the way.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
You can't park a small spot anyway.  You have to blast it all and start from scratch.

Here's what I'd do.... flat black paint... or.... who cares... leave it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
you can blue it, with some cheap blue.

actually covers up small spots well
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought birchwood pens and they don't work as well as Sharpies...save your $8 a pop and use a black Sharpie.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can't park a small spot anyway.  You have to blast it all and start from scratch.

Here's what I'd do.... flat black paint... or.... who cares... leave it.

actually I have parked  just a small section before.. it was on a 1911 slide, I cleaned area that this idiot ground ejection port area with I dont know what..  redid the mess  cleaned, had park tank hot for something else and I just splashed  the bare area and it worked.. I never did blast that slide and redo.. if I knew how to add photo I could show it can be done.. just not recomended  slide colors dont even match parkerizing,  I could not get it black but I got nice dark grey.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been using the birchwood blueing pens for years, they work great for small scratches on parked steels.  Just make sure to remove any oil.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]
A buddy tells me Aluma Black works great on steel.

YMMV
jonblack
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 4:20:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
actually I have parked  just a small section before.. it was on a 1911 slide, I cleaned area that this idiot ground ejection port area with I dont know what..  redid the mess  cleaned, had park tank hot for something else and I just splashed  the bare area and it worked.. I never did blast that slide and redo.. if I knew how to add photo I could show it can be done.. just not recomended  slide colors dont even match parkerizing,  I could not get it black but I got nice dark grey.

Interesting... the color issue must be why the barrel guys won't do a partial park.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#11]
For small touch-up nothing beats the illustrious Tactical Sharpie!
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have been using the birchwood blueing pens for years, they work great for small scratches on parked steels.  Just make sure to remove any oil.

yeah, its that simple and it will look better. I have an old bottle of B C blue that comes out kinda black/gray so it matches great.

also wont rub off with your finger..........

Link Posted: 12/22/2009 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Alumablack

Which works really good on gray parkerizing!
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Great little tip, clean the area , slap it on , let dry and oil, doesn't react with the park and just darkens the bare steel.
I've had good luck covering up some of my less than graceful moves.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=178848
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alumablack

Which works really good on gray parkerizing!

This is what I use for small spots, works great.  There is also a product called Oxfo-Blue (Spelling might be off) that works great too...

ETA:  Dip a Q-tip in the solution (get it good and wet) and then hold the Q-tip on the sport for about 30 seconds to a minute.  As you hold the Q-tip on the metal, it darkens.  Repeat as nesessary.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#16]
They parko parts at my job.  I wonder if they would get pissed if I brought some gun parts in there?
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll see about taking a photo and posting it with photo-bucket, it will show what it looks like,, and how bad this slide was messed up,, I would be embarrassed to do that to a firearm..    

1 more day of work then off till 01/04/2010.. will spend all my time building, and seeing about getting one of these

http://grizzly.com/products/Gunsmith-s-Bench-Top-Lathe-with-Stand/G4003G  its a really nice lathe, cost effective for me. retirement is coming up fast..  anytime after 02/06/2010  I will be able to retire.  just have to go to office sign some papers and become senior citizen,     I'm going to get me a straw hat and good cane. and go wild whenI retire to full time gunsmith hobby. Imay even heat my garage
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top