Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
After tax I paid about $150 for a Mega lower from a local FFL
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I have a bushmaster, a Spikes, and 3 Essential arms lowers.
The only significant difference I've found among the 5 is slight color variations and the logo on the side.

And now I've got 2 SI-Defense lowers as well (paid $50 each, plus shipping and transfer, came to about $72 each).  LPK's show up Tuesday, hopefully they'll be good quality, I've heard good things about them.
ETA: Of course, it will  be some time before I get uppers for them, they were an impulse buy 'cause they were so cheap, can't really afford the uppers right now!

Link Posted: 12/27/2009 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I am really surprised that STAG gets no love.

$100.00

$100.00
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Ditto on Stag.    They sell direct and kept prices reasonable when unscrupulous companies like Spikes doubled and tripled their prices.

BTW, the Spikes lowers look like they are spray painted with a high gloss black paint (I realize they are not spray painted, but they sure look like it)- Real cheap and clownish IMHO.  Its obvious when you pick one up, not so obvious from the pics.

Also, havent seen any love for Anvil Arms.  They also kept prices low during the rush.  Ive put my hands on a couple of these and they look top notch (no machine marks and a nice finish).  They also have a cool  logo, subtle (not a giant spider painted red or white).  

Love to see someone defend the business practices of a dirt bag company like spikes.  How does the price of a product go from $269 to $89 in the matter of months.   I feel bad for  anyone stupid enough to buy from them when prices were high.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ditto on Stag.    They sell direct and kept prices reasonable when unscrupulous companies like Spikes doubled and tripled their prices.

BTW, the Spikes lowers look like they are spray painted with a high gloss black paint (I realize they are not spray painted, but they sure look like it)- Real cheap and clownish IMHO.  Its obvious when you pick one up, not so obvious from the pics.

Also, havent seen any love for Anvil Arms.  They also kept prices low during the rush.  Ive put my hands on a couple of these and they look top notch (no machine marks and a nice finish).  They also have a cool  logo, subtle (not a giant spider painted red or white).  

Love to see someone defend the business practices of a dirt bag company like spikes.  How does the price of a product go from $269 to $89 in the matter of months.   I feel bad for  anyone stupid enough to buy from them when prices were high.

I don't really think those who bought the higher-priced lower were acting stupidly.  They wanted a lower, Spikes had one for a certain price, this price was what the purchaser was willing to pay.  In the end, as long as the buyer was willing to pay that much, it was a win-win situation.  Just because other people got better deals at different times doesn't mean that the Spikes buyer was stupid.

Furthermore, I own a Spikes lower and the finish is nothing like high gloss black paint (it's almost exactly like the DPMS, Stag, and RRA I've handled).  Additionally, the spider doesn't come pre-painted, unless you want to pay them to do it for you.  Also, whether or not a logo is "cool" or "too big" or "too small" or "too garish" is completely up to the customer.  I personally like their logo.  There are others I don't care for as much.  Just because you don't like it does not make it unreasonable, too big, or "uncool" for me or the next guy who might like it.

Also, if your judgement of Spikes as a business is based solely on their prices going from low to high and back down again, then what business is safe from your condemnation?  Prices change.  The gun industry is highly sensitive to political changes, and I don't expect companies to keep prices the same while demand skyrockets (this is basic supply and demand).  Huge quantities of AR parts were being demanded, and it is only natural for a company to increase prices to match the environment.  As was mentioned before, those companies that didn't raise prices would not have been able to keep anything in stock (pricing below the new equilibrium price results in a shortage...again, simple supply and demand), and you know what probably happened to those which were purchased at the lower price?  They were probably re-sold at a higher price.  

If you were irritated that a company changed their prices according to market conditions, then you're doomed to a life of constant irritation.  Your best bet is to just buy parts which are priced within your budget.  If Spikes is too high for you, then don't buy.  It doesn't make Spikes a bad company, it just means you can't afford their product.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

––snip––

I wonder how long before people stop complaining about companies that "gouge"?

I just bought a spikes lower, it was $89, it's very high quality, and I'm quite pleased with it.

Remember when Pmags were non-existant and people were paying $25 each to get them on Gunbroker?  I recently bought 10 of them for $100 shipped from DSG.  Now did all you "gouging complainers" take note of every seller who offloaded Pmags for $25+ each?  I sure hope so... gotta be fair, right?

During the ban (pre-2004), did any of you buy pre-ban hi-cap mags for $100+?  Price Gouging, right?

It's called the free market.  If you search for deals and have some patience, you'll get what you need.  If you desperately need something in a shortage, you can get it quick, but it will cost you.

Welcome to capitalism.  Works for me.  

ETA: Can't wait for the next gun-ban scare... I'll make a killing off those $50 SI-Defense lowers I just bought!!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2009 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
RRA...$100

where'd you find an RRA stripped lower for $100? i wanted to get one, but they guy wouldn't budge on $170. on RRA's website, it's $170 as well. if i was going to spend $170, i'd get a Mega billet lower, so i just went w/ the EA for $100.

$170 for a RRA lower?????

Screw them; they will never ever get a dime of my money…
They are cheating all of us!!!!
Now I officially HATE RRA FOREVER!!!!!!!

And to boot, I’m gonna tell everybody how evil and despicable RRA is because they are charging $170 for their lowers… it will be my life’s mission from now on!!!!!

Because that’s the cool, trendy, bandwagon kind of thing to do…

RRA wasn't charging that, it was a vendor at the booth. i just wanted to see what the markup was compared to what they posted on their website and sure enough, it's $170 on their website. i think i'm going to be happy with my EA lower though, i should have bought 2. it looks exactly like my S&W lower.

RRA lowers have been overpriced compared to other brands for a long time...not including the election scare.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a DTI and my local shop for 120 OTD... Nice fit and finish.... I have seen Riggio lowers for 109 at another local shop.... Also EA is a great lower too... Have had several...
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I understand how supply and demand works, its just interesting that at the same time Spikes lowers were selling for $269, other reputable companies were only charging $125-140 (up from the $95-115 they were charging before the boom).   I respect the fact that certain companies did not take advantage of frantic customers in a hyped up market.  No big deal, there were plenty of other options, besides I dont personally care for the ultra black finish on the spikes lowers anyway.  In regard to your opinion of my financial situation; I was so blessed this year that for Christmas I donated more money to charity than what I spent on gifts (a samsung projector, a 106" dalite projector screen, and a pioneer touchscreen DVD player, amp, and subwoofer/enclosure for my truck- just to name a few)  So the extra $129 really wasnt an issue for me, it was more just a simple matter of principle and the fact that their prices have now dropped back down puts a huge exclaimation point on all of this.   I appologize and retract my "stupid" comment, but I still dont like the way this particular company chose to do business, so they will never see a dime from me.   For the record, I know several guys with various Spikes products and they all love them and rave about the quality -so no issues there.

BTW, looks like Anvil Arms is temporarily out of commission.  Too bad, they are some nice folks, I met some of them at a local show.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

––snip––

I wonder how long before people stop complaining about companies that "gouge"?

I just bought a spikes lower, it was $89, it's very high quality, and I'm quite pleased with it.

Remember when Pmags were non-existant and people were paying $25 each to get them on Gunbroker?  I recently bought 10 of them for $100 shipped from DSG.  Now did all you "gouging complainers" take note of every seller who offloaded Pmags for $25+ each?  I sure hope so... gotta be fair, right?

During the ban (pre-2004), did any of you buy pre-ban hi-cap mags for $100+?  Price Gouging, right?

It's called the free market.  If you search for deals and have some patience, you'll get what you need.  If you desperately need something in a shortage, you can get it quick, but it will cost you.

Welcome to capitalism.  Works for me.  

ETA: Can't wait for the next gun-ban scare... I'll make a killing off those $50 SI-Defense lowers I just bought!!!

I don't believe any of us used the word "gouge" at any point during our statements in our displeasure with how spike's chose to do business. We just stated that we would not give them our business because of the way they chose to do treat their customers during that time period and that we would take our money elsewhere. I believe that is a part of a free market as well isn't it? The ability to choose who you give your business to and for what reasons?

Link Posted: 12/27/2009 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I will throw my vote out there for both Spikes and RRA! Both have been GREAT quality and I have no complaints! I bought both at the right time. I am probably going to try the $50 SI lower I've been reading about.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 4:05:29 AM EDT
[#12]
i've used Mega Machine, CMMG, Double Star, Stag, Rock River, Anvil Arms, Roggio, etc.......on many builds over the years for me and buddies, i became a fanboy of Anvil Arms due to the price, quality, and service, also the fit and finish on AA lowers seemed to be in line with Mega Machine, which to me is the standard for stripped lowers. i really hate how things turnd out with AA and Jon, i'm hoping the next owner can make a good of a bad situation and turn things around. i've seen spikes lower and they do look very nice, i just wont buy one because of the price jump the day of the election. spikes can run their business any way they wish and charge what they want, again it's their business. it just seems that that the guys that stand on principle around here and are pissed about the price hike are getting demended by the spikes fan boys(typical arfcom style). i'm sure spikes has great quality and service and that's great for them, they just will not see my money, as posted above there are lots of choices to pick from and that's the American way. just think of the pissing match threads we can have if chinese start killing our soldiers, people here will still buy chinese and support wal-mart because they saved money and they are cheaper
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Best deal Ive found so far is the Sharps Rifle Company lowers. I got two for 140.00 out the door. They were 55.00 from the vender and my dealer gave em to me for 70.00 ea for turning him on to them. Add a DPMS LPK, a cheap  stock set and you have a complete lower for 175.00 give or take. I was worried about quality, but they went togather just fine.

Link Posted: 12/28/2009 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#14]
45b10 what dealer is this?
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#15]
My only objection to those who dislike Spikes is that it is automatically assumed that there were sinister motives at play during the price increase.  I have no attachment to Spikes, and I will honestly buy whichever lower is cheaper (if that's a $70 Anvil Arms or a $90 RRA...I have no preference really).  Of course, picking your business based on how you perceive a firm is most assuredly part of the way the market works.  If you find Spikes to be deplorable, then of course you shouldn't shop there (even if it's only to rest assured that you did not support a company that you dislike, other reasons aside).  I, however, think it is irresponsible to tell the new people visiting the site that Spikes doesn't deserve the money and they should be avoided.  After all, if the lower is good quality and costs $89, why shouldn't a visitor new to the AR field give them a look?  I believe, in a thread such as this (discussing the best lower for the money), a discussion about our opinions of how Spikes runs their business is off-topic.  Is a Spikes stripped lower a good buy at $89?  I believe it is.  Should people be made aware of potential issues concerning a company?  Naturally.  However, I still hold that we should not attempt to sway others to one side or another based on how they managed their prices.  Our conversation should merely be "yes, it's a good value at $89" or "the quality isn't good enough to warrant $89"...Not "No, $89 is too high because I find Spikes to be a dirt-bag company".  If you don't like them, that's fine.  However, I would advise everybody in this particular thread (and I will heed this advise as well) to focus on discussing the physical quality of the actual product.  We can discuss our opinions of a firm's business practices in a more appropriate setting.

With that said, the stripped lower I own of theirs is very nice.  I cannot find any tool marks, the finish is consistent and the color is your standard matte black.  I have not yet dropped my LPK into it yet, so I cannot comment on whether it is drilled to spec or not.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Doesnt one or two companies actually make most of them, or has that changed in the past couple of years.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Doesnt one or two companies actually make most of them, or has that changed in the past couple of years.

I think so...I read something to that effect in a book recently.  BUT that might have changed.  Anybody else?
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I have to agree about the unknown brand names being difficult to re sell. I have five AR's One is a factory RRA and the rest are built on Essential Arms lowers. Due to financial issues best not discussed here, I am forced to sell the majority of my gun collection. Going from 23 firearms down to 7 or 8. I was doing a table at a local gun show recently and the 7.62x39 AR I built was being seriously considered but he had never heard of Essential Arms.

I have built a total of 8 AR builds for myself & friends using EA lowers. Never had any issues at all,  nothing out of spec. Just a great product at a great price. As mentioned already, EA did not raise their prices when others did.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#19]
2 Anvil Arms lowers I have built were perfect.  They also have a very nice deep black finish if you are wanting that look
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have to agree about the unknown brand names being difficult to re sell. I have five AR's One is a factory RRA and the rest are built on Essential Arms lowers. Due to financial issues best not discussed here, I am forced to sell the majority of my gun collection. Going from 23 firearms down to 7 or 8. I was doing a table at a local gun show recently and the 7.62x39 AR I built was being seriously considered but he had never heard of Essential Arms.

I have built a total of 8 AR builds for myself & friends using EA lowers. Never had any issues at all,  nothing out of spec. Just a great product at a great price. As mentioned already, EA did not raise their prices when others did.

It really is a shame that these other names aren't recognized.  Almost seems like you'd have to use all S&W or Colt parts to really guarantee a re-sell later.
Link Posted: 12/29/2009 4:44:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been reading over the posts last night and today. I'm going to be able to pick up 3 Spike's lowers for $95.00 ea. So, I'm thinking that I'm not making to bad of a deal. I've never built my own AR, but after reading alot of posts here I'm looking forward to starting my first one. I'll be coming back here for advice from time to time, so any input from all of you would be great.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"I still hold that we should not attempt to sway others to one side or another based on how they managed their prices. ...We can discuss our opinions of a firm's business practices in a more appropriate setting.

A firm's business practices are a totally valid consideration for potential customers.  I would certainly appreciate such information if I were in the market for a lower.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I am new in the AR world, have been interested for quite sometime.
Finally getting around to it. Ended up buying an M&P 15 lower for 109.99
Is the M&P 15 lower decent?
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#24]
free lowers if yo buy the upper!!!!!!!

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Good afternoon Dapumpkin, all.

An M&P lower for $109.99 is a damn good choice, not only because it's a well made receiver but it also carries the name recognition of Smith & Wesson.

If you were to ever want to resell your build the name on the receiver counts big-time. You could build (and I'm in no way saying you personally) the worst shootin' iron to ever exist but as long as people see that S&W or Colt logo they'll spend money on it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#26]
So if all the price gouging stops you from buying the item I guess you must be pretending to shoot because I remember in the not so distant past that 100 .223 unfired brass was $19, now its almost $40.  They must be 'gouging'.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Since you have an inability to read, I think you should go back to lurking in the shadows troll some other thread. The only people who said any thing about price gouging are those of you who are defending them. Not one person who said they disliked their prices said they were gouging. Get over yourself. You're also probably the same person that paid almost $300 for a lower that is now only worth $100.

Quoted:

So if all the price gouging stops you from buying the item I guess you must be pretending to shoot because I remember in the not so distant past that 100 .223 unfired brass was $19, now its almost $40.  They must be 'gouging'.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Good afternoon Dapumpkin, all.

An M&P lower for $109.99 is a damn good choice, not only because it's a well made receiver but it also carries the name recognition of Smith & Wesson.

If you were to ever want to resell your build the name on the receiver counts big-time. You could build (and I'm in no way saying you personally) the worst shootin' iron to ever exist but as long as people see that S&W or Colt logo they'll spend money on it.

Not really. The name or logo on the side of a lower does nothing to indicate the quality of the overall build...especially with a scatter of different brand parts put into it. S&W makes a decent AR no doubt, but they are not in the same league as what one would expect a Colt to be (since you mentioned them in your op). Folks will pay real good money for the factory guns, not builds. AR aficionados want factory complete Colts, Noveskes, KACs, etc., & are willing to pay near or above current market price to get them. Try getting that kind of money out of a home build.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I like Mega.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I have to say I have been a long time fan of RRA. They fit tight and the finish has always been good to go. I have also been impressed with the fit and finish of Stag as well. I know many can not stand the "deer head" logo but it has never bothered me. I have been toying with picking up a Mega billet lower. I have yet to hear a complaint about their products.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I built my last gun on an Aero Precision lower and couldn't be happier with the fit and finish of it.  It's a great lower  reguardless of the price.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#32]
woot for stag. i live across town from the factory
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I built mine on a Tactical Machining ( Deland, Fl.) lower and upper. The fit and finish are very good and they will soon be offering an AR 10 lower. Check out their website at http://www.tacticalmachining.com/ for pix of their products and shop. Best of luck with your build it will definitely be worth the research.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Essential Arms
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I like my Tactical Machining
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#36]
I have had no problems with Stag lowers at all. Granted, the rollmark is a bit "pronounced."

But it could garner some Fuddly points if necessary...
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#37]
I just finished up a build with an Aero Precision lower.  It's got a great finish, the machining looks excellent, and my p-mags work in it just fine.  The best part is that they are only 79 bucks (cheaper if you buy a bunch of 'em at once).  I believe Aero also makes lowers for several other companies.
The started as an aerospace company that makes stuff for Boeing, so their logo isn't as bad-ass looking as some others, but thats a pretty minor issue in my book.

https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=33&zenid=d09592307f73c34ba41806bbad0175b4
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How about $109.99 WITH a DPMS LPK.  The Aero Precision may be IMPOSSIBLE to beat.

I am hooked on it, might as well be called Brown Sugar.

ETA:  If you like Spikes keep in mind Aero Precision is one of their suppliers for lowers.

Just picked up an AP lower just down the road from Aero Precision for $125 with a DPMS lower parts kit installed.

And the rear takedown pin is captured  - add set screw and you are done!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top