Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2009 6:37:38 PM EDT
sorry if this has already been discussed, but I did a search and didnt find anything.

looking for a barrel for my new build.  im for sure i want a heavy barrel or bull barrel.  no whats the difference between a threaded barrel vs a non threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Threaded at the muzzle for a muzzle brake or flash suppressor, or other muzzle device for a suppressor.

Whether you want it or not is up to you. I'd still prefer a threaded barrel, if I didn't want a flash suppressor I'd put a thread protector on it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Plus 1, You will always be able to get unthreaded barrels but you may not be able to get them already threaded. It's up to the current administration in their future decisions.
Welcome to the Forum,
SO-13
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer a flash suppressor on mine, so I always want threads.  If I was building a coyote gun or a bench-rest-shooting-only gun, I would go for a bull with no threads.  Who cares if a coyote or a paper target sees some muzzle flash?

Depends on what you want to do with it.  The bull barrels are usually a little heavier than an HBAR, by the way.  I have been toying with the notion of a fluted bull barreled upper... this may inspire me to get one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 2:04:38 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the help.  any particular brand to go with?  last build i used a dti kit which i think is a wilsons barrel.  im looking either to go with ymh, cmmg, whiteoak, or dpms.  those are the only ones i saw out there that are in stock at certain places.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 3:04:20 AM EDT
[#5]
The nicer tubes are pulling a premium now. All the barrels you mentioned are decent, though IMHO the White Oak is in a slightly higher class. Manufacturers are catching up on orders, and many are hitting the EE as their purchasers changed direction, or found one in stock and ended up with two. Also if you were concerned about accuracy, some muzzle attachments can change the point of impact, but usually the group size is unaffected. If you happen to have butter fingers, a flash hider will take the hit instead of the muzzle crown.

BTY, I don't think most people will ever notice the difference between a bull and an Hbar as far as groups go. Maybe in a benchrest competition, but the weight isn't worth it. One of mine is a 24" fluted Hbar, its got a NATO chamber and its chrome lined. Both of those features can hurt accuracy a little, and it is still a sub-moa rifle.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top