Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2009 4:57:02 PM EDT
Hey guys, getting ready to assemble a rifle and I am using a Sun Devil upper receiver.  Is there a upper receiver vise block that this upper receiver will best fit in?  Or will it simply fit in any vise block that will hold a flat top receiver?

thanks
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a billet, right?  (Not sure if Sun Devil makes a regular one).

It won't fit in the Brownell's/Peace River style clam shell.  The Block Worx will do the trick.  They are available through Spikes and will work on all flattops including the Sun Devil, however they don't work on A1 styles.  I can post a link if you need it.

Of course, barrel vises are a good option, too.

ETA:  Block Worx @ Spikes
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Spike was out of them at the last local show here a couple weeks ago. The blox-worx guy has an ebay ad though, you can get them there fot $39.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290316444740&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported

hope that helps,I'm a compuuuter nincompoop, so thats just a cut& paste of the address for the ad, not a link(how do ya do that anyhow?)

PR
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the recommendation!
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought the best way to mount a barrel was to put the barrel in the vise, not the upper.

thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I thought the best way to mount a barrel was to put the barrel in the vise, not the upper.

thoughts?

I thought about it: Wrong.

Bill
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Block Worx, Bushmaster clam shell type and the DPMS Panther Claw.

The Block Worx unit seems soppy. The pins a re too small and the upper fits loose. You can use the bottom with a BCG installed, I suppose to mount a sight or something.  I cut the back of the upper piece to align rails but it's too loose.  This jig won't work with a A1 or A2 upper.

The Bushmaster unit works well but will leave marks on the receiver if you don't use a paper towel or thin piece of cloth. It also leaves things a bit cramped to work around.

The DPMS unit will do everything the others will do, with a block of wood on a flattop if you feel the need for extra support, but I've installed barrels without.
It holds the upper tight and leaves room to work around it. My only complaint it that it may need to be trimmed to install some rails.

Link Posted: 5/28/2009 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 2:41:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 3:45:23 AM EDT
[#10]
The BM looks like a good option, also.  I had not seen it before, but it looks like the Brownell's with the top (or carry handle area) cut off.  I have a piece of thin lens cleaning cloth that I put in around the receiver when I use the Brownell's.  Yes, I agree a rifle is going to get scratched up so it shouldn't matter, but why scratch it if there is no need to.

I have switched to using barrel vise clamps with a leather or rubber insert to install barrels after reading posts here about that method.  The TM describes it's use for barrel installation.  It took a little getting used to, but I find it works better, especially for keeping things aligned.

I guess it's a good thing for the OP to have so many options and some info on the pro's and con's of each.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 3:48:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Panther Claw...............the cats meow!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thoughts?

I thought about it: Wrong.

Bill

So I guess the US Army TM's are wrong?  

Because that is what they say to do, clamp the barrel in a vise with the barrel removal fixture.  

Page 3-32

US Army TM

I use a clam shell style action block, but there is nothing wrong with using a barrel block either.  Matter of fact if you are .mil using a barrel block is the right way to do it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 5:54:54 AM EDT
[#14]
any recommendations for a barrel block?
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Model 1 Sales are cheap and work.  You can line them with whatever you want if marring is an issue.

http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=TOB001&storeid=1&image=visejaws.gif&CFID=46855352&CFTOKEN=88259423
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Brownells Barrel Vise Jaws

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Panther Claw...............the cats meow!!!

I ordered one & it came in earlier in the week .

But I am waiting on a flat top upper to arive , before I have a chance to try it out .

God bless
Wyr

Link Posted: 5/31/2009 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/852015000.jpg

Brownells Barrel Vise Jaws

PursuitSS

This set is the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The block works is designed to mount side ways in a vice so the loose fit wont affect anything.

I understand that. That means they can't be used for anything but a flattop and for the money the DPMS unit is a better option.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top