Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2009 10:40:29 PM EDT
DSA Arms and others I'm sure, offer forged, blank lower receivers.  Just how much work/trouble is it to accurately drill the holes & slots, etc. to turn these into spec lowers.  Is a cnc mill absolutely necessary?  Finally, does one have to be a masochist to even think of doing this?  BTW, I'm not.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
A CNC machine, no. A mill would sure make your life a whole heck of alot easier, but it can be done, if you're careful, with a drill press and hand tools. There's an article floating around on the internet of the Mujahideen AR15 build, which I think was done even without a drill press. It's just a question of how much time you want to invest into the project.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:11:46 AM EDT
[#2]
If you do not have the time or the required tools it might be better to just buy a stripped lower and parts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:31:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Start Here

Tons of good info.  You can get the mag well wire edm'd for $35.
The rest is pretty easy if you use "The Fixture".
Follow the threads before you start until you understand the undertaking.

Other info at:
More info

Some more drawings:
Another source for prints and advice

Note:
The DSA part is a raw forging generally conforming to Army P/N F8448641––-  Anybody out there have the forging drawing (not the drawing of finished p/n 8448608??

Personally I preferred doing  a billet lower...  But that requires machine tools that most people don't have...

WB

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:51:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you do not have the time or the required tools it might be better to just buy a stripped lower and parts.

I agree. They can be done on a mini mill but its a real pain. So if you bought a mini mill and all the tooling required you're probably looking at about 1K right there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The Ray-vin (Ray Brandes) tutorial is the last word on machining a forging.  I highly suggest you read this ~80 pages before jumping in.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Ray-vin (Ray Brandes) tutorial is the last word on machining a forging.  I highly suggest you read this ~80 pages before jumping in.

Sorry, how do I get to/at this tutorial?

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#7]
http://arlower.ray-vin.com/ar15/

Google is your friend.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Well yes, but knowledgeable people such as you are better.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A CNC machine, no. A mill would sure make your life a whole heck of alot easier, but it can be done, if you're careful, with a drill press and hand tools. There's an article floating around on the internet of the Mujahideen AR15 build, which I think was done even without a drill press. It's just a question of how much time you want to invest into the project.

The Mujahideen was done using an 80% lower. Still impressive, but not a raw forging.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Can this knowledgeable body advise source(s) for 80% forged LRs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
if you're going to do an 80% lower, you might as well just buy a stripped lower from Essential for $105. The only reason to build a raw lower in my opinion is because you enjoy tinkering with machining. I have machined 8 raw lowers, but then again, I am a hobby machinist and have access to a full shop. +1 for Ray Brandes....his guide is THE place to start with regards to 0% lowers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Hello.

I'm out of 60% or 80% lowers as of yesterday.  I do expect to finish EDM'ing the mag well and having product for sale right about Tax Day.  Yeah, no kidding.

I'm also rolling out a Dedicated 9mm lower but have not finalized the style yet... Colt/RRA or Olympic Arms.  Again, available just after the 15th.

These will be 80% "max completion" lowers.  Our 60%'s got great reviews.  Here's a link to our site:
YellowLogic lower

I will repost with new pictures and more info in 2/3 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Those lowers look very nice from yellow but seem a little pricey when you can get a ready to build for well under $200. Still, for something off the radar it may not be so bad.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top