Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2008 8:52:14 PM EDT
If I am properly licensed from the BATF, and I want to build a run of 20 stripped AR lowers, what would I need?

And when I say build, I mean starting from nothing.  What is the process involved in taking a chunk of aluminum, and turning it into a lower receiver?

Link Posted: 11/8/2008 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If I am properly licensed from the BATF, and I want to build a run of 20 stripped AR lowers, what would I need?

And when I say build, I mean starting from nothing.  What is the process involved in taking a chunk of aluminum, and turning it into a lower receiver?

Are you doing it for profit or for you own personal collection? If your wanting to sell them than you need to be a MFG and if not they can get you for tax evasion. If your just building them for yourself, then you don't need anything; have fun.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 5:03:56 AM EDT
[#2]
it would help to be a machinist, have a milling machine, a shitload load of different mills, shitloads of money and time....
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Must make friends with a machinist.  Preferably one with access to a CNC machine.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#5]
That's ALOT of of work,for something you can buy for a hundred dollar bill give/take.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Honestly?  From what I can tell you don't know enough about machining or the laws to start.  The links provided will give you an idea but please read some more archives and google then, if you are a good study, and after some mistakes, you may have one in a year.  That and you would have invested more time and money than most have.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Honestly?  From what I can tell you don't know enough about machining or the laws to start.  The links provided will give you an idea but please read some more archives and google then, if you are a good study, and after some mistakes, you may have one in a year.  That and you would have invested more time and money than most have.

Best of luck.

The law, got that one under control.  Machining?  I know very little except that I would like to see just how difficult from a manufacturing standpoint it would be to make and sell my own lowers.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
if you split what it would cost you in time and money for equipment you'd need to produce your 20 lowers then you'd pay maybe $4000 a lower,

I would think your best bet would be to approach a current manufacturer and order their lowers with your logo on it...
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#9]

I wish I had that kind of machinery and time!  That link was awesome.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]
cnc miller
10000 rpm or more is best

3/4 end mill
1/4 end mill
1/2 end mill with .06 radius
1/4 end mill with .03 radius
3/16 end mill
1/8 end mill
1/4 ball mill
1/8 ball mill
1/4 spot drill
.146 drill
.156 reamer
.242 drill
.250 reamer
.368 drill
.375 reamer
.204 drill

thats just the first 2 ops
more needed for pockets, magwell, and buffer tube
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top