Site Notices
4/17/2014 3:33:50 PM
Page:  / 27
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/26/2010 10:53:07 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
This is a GREATLY informative post BTW!!!!

GOOD JOB MAN!!!
ZSAVAGE81
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2010 5:52:30 PM
I've added and changed a lot of parts on my ar thus far, but the 2 things I hate (i dislike other stuff but I hate these 2 things) on my gun are the flashhider and the fact it's not flat top. So since I bough a LMT flat top upper off the exchange this week now all I need to do it replace the flashhider with some sort of muzzle break (i'm thiking about the talon because I really like gogun/etac's work and am looking at one of their converted saigas for 3-gun but i'm not 100% sure what i'm going to go with yet). My question is how do you determine weather or not the the flashhider is pined and welded or just on with a crush/peal washer? Obviously if it is pined and welded I can look at the first page to get it off, if it's just on with washer do you need to heat it up or anything or just throw it in a berral vice and start turning?

Here's a pic of my gun let me know what you think.

FALARAK
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2010 8:50:44 PM
Most of the brakes like that are pinned and welded on a 14.5" barrel. That was an especially populat barrel from Bushmaster - so if its a bushy barrel - or if it is a 14.5" barrel - I guarantee it is pinned and welded.

If it is a 14.5" barrel - you MUST blind pin and weld or permanently attach you new muzzle device, and your new muzzle device will have to be especially long like a phantom/vortex.

When dealing with all this - I recommend just replacing the barrel with a new one... by the time you purchase a new muzzle device, and deal with removing yours and installing a new one professionally, you might as well just replace the barrel.

If you get a new barrel - you now have two complete uppers! :-)
Sorry about the mayonnaise, guys.
blacksunshinez51
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/6/2010 5:38:43 PM
Is there some detailed instructions on how to disassemble a lower receiver? I have a lower I need to refinish...and would appreciate some detailed instructions.
TT04Cobra
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2010 9:30:35 AM
I have a DPMS LR 308 AP4 Complete Upper I just purchased. I want to change the tubular hand guards and put quad rails, looking at the Larue Tactical quad rails they look pretty solid. Will these quadrails fit on this upper? I just bought all the tools to do this myself just wanted to know if these specific handguards would work with this upper before I buy. Thanks.
M1-Matt
New Jersey Escapee Aug.01.2010
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/12/2010 11:01:19 PM
I have a dumb question, I just purchased a smith vortex flash hider. Does anyone know how much torque is required when you install it?
Strangely, community organizers don't understand history or economy. Whodathunkit?
كافر
FALARAK
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/12/2010 11:42:04 PM

Originally Posted By M1-Matt:
I have a dumb question, I just purchased a smith vortex flash hider. Does anyone know how much torque is required when you install it?

Almost none. Torque to 10 ft. lbs. maximum. It self-tightens as weapon is fired.
M1-Matt
New Jersey Escapee Aug.01.2010
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/6/2010 8:52:20 PM
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

Almost none. Torque to 10 ft. lbs. maximum. It self-tightens as weapon is fired.

Thank you for the info. Does it require a crush/peel washer, or are they only for timing of cretin comps/flash hiders?
Strangely, community organizers don't understand history or economy. Whodathunkit?
كافر
FALARAK
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/7/2010 9:31:46 AM

Originally Posted By FALARAK:

Thank you for the info. Does it require a crush/peel washer, or are they only for timing of cretin comps/flash hiders?

From my experience - vortex flash hiders recommend not using a washer of any kind. Dont know if that has changed... it has been several years since I have installed one.
Viper49
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/6/2010 12:03:39 PM
Dumb question here
I need to remove my front sight on the upper, what is the best way to remove my Vortex flash hider. Just pad the barrel and clamp it to the vise or put the upper in the action block and clamp it to the vise and remove the Vortex? Which is the most common way. Thanks for the reply.
FALARAK
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/6/2010 3:12:40 PM
[Last Edit: 10/6/2010 3:13:03 PM by FALARAK]

Originally Posted By Viper49:
Dumb question here
I need to remove my front sight on the upper, what is the best way to remove my Vortex flash hider. Just pad the barrel and clamp it to the vise or put the upper in the action block and clamp it to the vise and remove the Vortex? Which is the most common way. Thanks for the reply.

The correct way to remove a muzzle device is always to clamp on the barrel.

If you clamp on the upper, if the muzzle device is tight, this can put undue stress on the indexing pin in the upper receiver, even shear it in extreme cases.

A vortex should only be installed hand tight, provided it isnt on a 14.5" barrel and pinned/welded.
Viper49
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/6/2010 7:15:54 PM
THanks for the reply and the barrel is 16 inches on a RRA upper.
SMB42
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/8/2010 1:12:02 AM
Hi, I have an A2 upper and I want to change it to a A3 using the same barrel, Can I use the same directions for changing the barrel?
FALARAK
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/8/2010 11:32:15 AM

Originally Posted By SMB42:
Hi, I have an A2 upper and I want to change it to a A3 using the same barrel, Can I use the same directions for changing the barrel?

Yes.
smb980
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/4/2010 6:54:49 PM
Just used your instructions to assemble my first lower.
That made it extremely easy, thanks for taking the time
to post all this.
PC-Tech
Just shut up and reboot already.
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2010 6:11:58 PM
[Last Edit: 11/10/2010 7:00:19 PM by PC-Tech]
Not sure if it will help anyone. But I mad a video on installing a Magpul MOE Trigger Guard. The non-shiny pin version . So if you have a safe queen, this is how I do it. it's in HD. I hope you all like it.

JeremyinTX
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2011 10:54:42 AM
What would be a substitute for moly grease? White lithium grease? Can't seem to find moly grease anywhere locally. Walmart, O'riley's.

Also the snugging up the barrel 3 times, am I getting this right. You turn the wrench till it's tight, then back the nut back off, and tighten again and repeat?
gotigers
Buck Ofama
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/11/2011 7:55:48 PM
Originally Posted By JeremyinTX:
What would be a substitute for moly grease? White lithium grease? Can't seem to find moly grease anywhere locally. Walmart, O'riley's.

Also the snugging up the barrel 3 times, am I getting this right. You turn the wrench till it's tight, then back the nut back off, and tighten again and repeat?

Try napa. My local napa had a 5oz tube for $6.

My Grandparents never voted Democrat until after they were dead.
dnmccoy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/13/2011 1:12:20 PM
Maybe Im off, but I dont see anything as far as assembling an upper from scratch, only changing barrels or installing different guards? Has noone made a how to assemble the upper thread?
PC-Tech
Just shut up and reboot already.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/13/2011 6:57:34 PM

Originally Posted By dnmccoy:
Maybe Im off, but I dont see anything as far as assembling an upper from scratch, only changing barrels or installing different guards? Has noone made a how to assemble the upper thread?
Check this guy out. http://www.youtube.com/user/gavintoobe
hammel13
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/3/2011 7:16:00 PM
Great write up, I just want to say thank you very much for an awesome write-up
Desert_AIP
I always get the shakes before a drop
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/8/2011 12:23:52 AM
Originally Posted By dnmccoy:

Pretty much the same steps...you just don't have to remove the old barrel first.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me.
If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
- Robert A. Heinlein
chrishurley87
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/11/2011 2:04:56 PM
Long time reader, first time poster...just wanted to say thanks a ton. Just used your guide to put together my first stripped lower, took about 40 mins and everything works great. Awesome job on the walk through!
Mastah_Shake
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/3/2011 1:16:18 AM
[Last Edit: 3/3/2011 1:25:16 AM by Mastah_Shake]
Thank you so much for this instruction set. Just finished my first build. Here is my new AR pistol that I am quite giddy about owning.

Excuse the crappy cell phone pics. Thanks again for the thread.

-Shake
bubbahec
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/6/2011 4:44:43 PM
Just put together my first lower. Thanks for the help.
Page:  / 27