[#3]
Why is this not a sticky anymore?
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 303_enfield:
View Quote

It is the first sticky and post on this forum.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Shooter_Mc_Gavin:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shooter_Mc_Gavin:
Originally Posted By 303_enfield:

Not on it's own like it use to be. Yes, I did find it here: "Important Threads, Check Here First". But who would look there?
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Important threads check here first....yeah no clue why anyone would check there first.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:49:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amos1909] [#7]

Tag, just kidding!
Thanks for all the info!!!!

Link Posted: 11/17/2013 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Howdy all.  First - MANY THANKS for the tons of great info here!

So, here's my question.  I have a post ban 20" Colt A2 HBAR 1 in 7 upper, mated to a Bushy franken lower, which shoots GREAT!  Can't spare the $ for a complete upper, so I'd like to swap the Colt A2 upper with a new stripped flat top upper - here's the info on the prospective new upper:

AR-15 Stripped Flat Top Upper Receiver

Advanced aerospace manufacturing technology and a highly skilled staff are utilized to produce the industries finest, forged Mil-Spec uppers. Our receivers are machined on a multimillion dollar, automated, cellular manufacturing system which enables us to produce a product of unequaled quality and value.

Manufactured by Aero Precision
   Precision machined to M16/M4 specs
   Forged, Mil-spec A3 flat top upper
   Forged from 7075 T6 aluminum
   Matte black hard coat anodized Mil 8625 Type 3 Class 2
   M4 feedramps
   .250” takedown pin holes
   Accepts standard AR15/M16 components
   Quality Made in Tacoma, WA USA

I'll be getting a new ejection port cover & FA set for it so I don't have to swap those out.  That leaves just a barrel swap from the Colt A2 to the new stripped upper - correct?  Other than optics, of course.  What I'd like to know is, are there any pitfalls I should watch for with this particular swap, and is this a good upper for this swap?  I do see good reviews for it.

TIA.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By patrad:
Howdy all.  First - MANY THANKS for the tons of great info here!

So, here's my question.  I have a post ban 20" Colt A2 HBAR 1 in 7 upper, mated to a Bushy franken lower, which shoots GREAT!  Can't spare the $ for a complete upper, so I'd like to swap the Colt A2 upper with a new stripped flat top upper - here's the info on the prospective new upper:

AR-15 Stripped Flat Top Upper Receiver

Advanced aerospace manufacturing technology and a highly skilled staff are utilized to produce the industries finest, forged Mil-Spec uppers. Our receivers are machined on a multimillion dollar, automated, cellular manufacturing system which enables us to produce a product of unequaled quality and value.

Manufactured by Aero Precision
   Precision machined to M16/M4 specs
   Forged, Mil-spec A3 flat top upper
   Forged from 7075 T6 aluminum
   Matte black hard coat anodized Mil 8625 Type 3 Class 2
   M4 feedramps
   .250” takedown pin holes
   Accepts standard AR15/M16 components
   Quality Made in Tacoma, WA USA

I'll be getting a new ejection port cover & FA set for it so I don't have to swap those out.  That leaves just a barrel swap from the Colt A2 to the new stripped upper - correct?  Other than optics, of course.  What I'd like to know is, are there any pitfalls I should watch for with this particular swap, and is this a good upper for this swap?  I do see good reviews for it.

TIA.
View Quote

The only pitfalls would possibly be the M4 feedramps.  Your barrel (barrel extension) needs to have M4 feedramps, if it is to be used in a M4 feedramp upper receiver.  I am not sure when Colt started that in their non-M4 barrels.  Can you inspect your upper and see if you have them now?

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:36:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: patrad] [#10]
Thanks FALARAK!  'Preciate the quick reply and pix.  Unfortunately, thankx to the pix, the upper swap is a no go, at least for now.  My Colt upper is not an M4 profile, so I'll have to carry on with what I have - until I can get an upper assembly.  I don't HAVE to change uppers - I just want a low profile upper for it.  At least I know what to look for now!  MANY THANKX for saving me a botched swap.

Y'all take care.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Just bringing it forward. Good info for noob's and me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]
What a thread - amazing info in this.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there a sticky about upper receiver assembly and parts needed? I've got stripped upper and a barrel on the way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By grayparatrooper:
Is there a sticky about upper receiver assembly and parts needed? I've got stripped upper and a barrel on the way.
View Quote

Upper receiver is almost child's play.  It is pretty self explanatory.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

View All Quotes

To be honest, I'm pretty handy but there were a couple of things on upper assembly that left me scratching my head and doing a bunch of Googling. It would definitely be helpful.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 1:36:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

To be honest, I'm pretty handy but there were a couple of things on upper assembly that left me scratching my head and doing a bunch of Googling. It would definitely be helpful.
View All Quotes

Ok, I will throw that up tomorrow or Sunday then.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Thanks i like to be able to see and follow along im more visual and feel comfortable that way. The barrel i got is just the barrel so would be nice to know exactly what i need to attach to the reciever and a procedure for that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#19]
9 years of getting people addicted to doing in themselves.

Well done Kev.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I have used this thread many times here recently. Extremely helpful! I agree, good work man! This is a thread saved on my favorites list in the old computer for sure.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:44:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Tag-gage - Thank You for this How To!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 2:56:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
I got all the bits and cutting fluid from Midway.
You need a #31 drill and a 2/0 taper reamer.  
I bought one drill bit for each hole, just to be sure.  (I never used the second bit).
Because I had a melonite barrel, I also bought a 1/8" end mill.

After I got everyting set up, I drilled into the FSB until it just touched the barrel.
I removed the drill bit and installed the end mill, and then ran it down to "break the surface of the barrel".
Then I replaced the drill bit and finished drilling through the barrel and the other side of the FSB.
Using the end mill made a flat spot to prevent the drill bit from walking along the curve of the barrel.

I tapped the gas port access hole on the bottom of the FSB and used a set screw to help hold the FSB to the barrel (used the Rainier gas block tool to dimple the barrel).  The setscrew prevented the FSB from rotating while drilling, it also helped align the gas hole and the sight itself.  I don't know the size of the set screw off  top of my head.  
I used a really slow speed, I believe something like 900 rpm (memory sketchy), and lots of cutting fluid.

And a Youtube Video
View Quote

Okay, I have a couple questions, as I hope to be tackling this job within the next couple of months after I swap out my current BHW 18" barrel for a 16.5" Voodoo pencilweight.

1.  Was your 1/8" end mill carbide or HSS? Do you think it matters?

2.  In the video, you/he appear to be drilling from left to right.  I've always envisioned it going the other way. Is there a reason to go left to right?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Why is this not a sticky...........Awesome!!  Just helped me answer my first big question, buy or build.

The answer is build!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for this thread. Only took me an hour and a half to do my first. 30 min of that time just on the bolt catch pin.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Glad to find this thread and all of the photos still up. I have been thinking about building my own AR. I have purchased few books but this thread is a lot better than anything I have. So, I'll be using all your information posted here. Thanks Kevin for all your step-by-step work

Mike
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:38:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hanzerik] [#26]
Just finished my stripped Anderson lower assembly. Went pretty easy. Don't have any punches, so used a pair of well taped pliers to install the rollpins. A little CLP and they went in fairly easy. Found that a "Pilot G2 07" ink pin cartridge is the perfect size for retaining the front pivot spring and detent pin in their proper place while inserting the pivot pin in, just pushes it back out the other side.

Overall the instructions here helped out a bunch. I was a little nervous about it, but it went easier then I thought. This is my first AR15 since I had, and sold, a Bushmaster many years ago. Figured I'd get another while the getting is good. Originally total cost was right below $500 shipped for the upper and lower, and the transfer fee for the lower, but the Magpul SL handguard pushed it slightly over that amount. Already had the Grip and stock on my 15-22, but swapped it's furniture back to factory stuff. So now I have a cheap grip, stock, and quad rail from the upper kit sitting around for the next one

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:52:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice looking rifle.

Got a few Anderson lowers sitting around, think I'm making a copy of that .

Txl
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally got to the range to try it out (Above rifle ^^^). Went with a 50/200 zero using the large aperture... My old eyes need more light. Rear sight just needed one right click off center to get windage, and two clicks up on the front sight for elevation, not too bad in my opinion. Went through 100rnds of Federal FMJ (Wally World bulk pack). Only malfunction was on the last mag (PMags), last round...a grain of sand was stuck in a little grove on the follower not allowing it to move freely to the top of the mag. Disassembled the mag, found the piece of sand (small pebble), removed it and put it back together and it worked fine. The trigger is nothing to write home about, but its OK for a HD/hiking/field gun.

For what I will use this for, the basic sights and setup will serve me fine. After leaving the short rifle line (100yd) after sight in, I went down to the long range area to see if I could hit anything at distance. The steel targets start out at 300yds, so I shot some old clays at 100, then tried the steel at 300. Had to aim at the head of the silhouette, but I made hits. I'm used to loudly smacking steel with 168gr bullets, so the fairly quiet hits of the small rounds were weird. Without a spotter, or magnified optic it would have been a waste to try further ranges, the ground was wet and still had spots of snow so the only way I knew I was hitting at 300 was due to the sound, couldn't see impacts.

Overall I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Assembled two Tennessee Arms Company hybrid lowers with these instructions, both builds went smooth as silk, thanks for the write-up!
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Any tips on installing the  trigger group? I can't get the holes lined up for nothing. Got the rest don't but gave up on the trigger
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Legman688:

Okay, I have a couple questions, as I hope to be tackling this job within the next couple of months after I swap out my current BHW 18" barrel for a 16.5" Voodoo pencilweight.

2.  In the video, you/he appear to be drilling from left to right.  I've always envisioned it going the other way. Is there a reason to go left to right?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Legman688:
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
I got all the bits and cutting fluid from Midway.
You need a #31 drill and a 2/0 taper reamer.  
I bought one drill bit for each hole, just to be sure.  (I never used the second bit).
Because I had a melonite barrel, I also bought a 1/8" end mill.

After I got everyting set up, I drilled into the FSB until it just touched the barrel.
I removed the drill bit and installed the end mill, and then ran it down to "break the surface of the barrel".
Then I replaced the drill bit and finished drilling through the barrel and the other side of the FSB.
Using the end mill made a flat spot to prevent the drill bit from walking along the curve of the barrel.

I tapped the gas port access hole on the bottom of the FSB and used a set screw to help hold the FSB to the barrel (used the Rainier gas block tool to dimple the barrel).  The setscrew prevented the FSB from rotating while drilling, it also helped align the gas hole and the sight itself.  I don't know the size of the set screw off  top of my head.  
I used a really slow speed, I believe something like 900 rpm (memory sketchy), and lots of cutting fluid.

And a Youtube Video

I'd have to check on the material for the end mill, I believe it is carbide because I was worried about how hard the melonite would be.
It cut right into the barrel.  The second one I did I didn't use the end mill as a test and the drill bit did deflect a little when it hit the curve of the barrel, so I will be using the end mill from here on.

Just go slow, check your setup 3 times and use a lot of cutting fluid and a brush to remove chips.

I drilled in the same direction as my Brownell's FSB tool pad indicates.  
For install you drive the taper pins from the right side.  
For removal you flip the rifle over and drive them out from the left side.

Tapping the bottom of the FSB for a setscrew and dimpling the barrel, using it to both align and secure the FSB really helped out a lot.  I wasn't worried about the FSB rotating as I started to drill.
My first one I drilled nearly at the center of the FSB pad and that was too high on the barrel.  It still works OK, but I did remove a little meat I didn't need to.
You need to drill through about the bottom third (or bottom 2/5ths) of the FSB pad to get the midline of the pin halfway into the barrel as it is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#32]
#4. Thank you for this thread....

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Very great tips!
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Hanzerik:
Just finished my stripped Anderson lower assembly. Went pretty easy. Don't have any punches, so used a pair of well taped pliers to install the rollpins. A little CLP and they went in fairly easy. Found that a "Pilot G2 07" ink pin cartridge is the perfect size for retaining the front pivot spring and detent pin in their proper place while inserting the pivot pin in, just pushes it back out the other side.

Overall the instructions here helped out a bunch. I was a little nervous about it, but it went easier then I thought. This is my first AR15 since I had, and sold, a Bushmaster many years ago. Figured I'd get another while the getting is good. Originally total cost was right below $500 shipped for the upper and lower, and the transfer fee for the lower, but the Magpul SL handguard pushed it slightly over that amount. Already had the Grip and stock on my 15-22, but swapped it's furniture back to factory stuff. So now I have a cheap grip, stock, and quad rail from the upper kit sitting around for the next one

http://hanzerik.no-ip.org/pics/GunStuff/AR-15.jpg
View Quote

Nice job. How do you like the new style MOE handguards? I'm looking to retrofit our agency patrol carbines with those.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Bump.

Txl
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#36]
not sure why this isn't pinned at the top. bump for it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#38]
There's a Shooting Illustrated version of this too.  

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2016/1/13/build-your-own-ar-15/

*Mods; Delete if not appropriate to link this.*
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Bump.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:
Bump.
View Quote

People still read this?

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#41]

People still read this?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:
Bump.

People still read this?

I've referred new AR builders to it frequently.  Just wanted to make sure it didn't slip into obscurity.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Funny how things work.

I write technical stuff for a living.  In my field (somewhat niche) I am one of the best known in the world.  But nothing I have ever written there got as much readership as this thread.

Today, I wrote something very significant, and it will change how customers use our product.  I have been thinking about it and working on it for the past 6 months, and released it today.  Funny how this thread gets bumped back up on the same day.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I just finished my 2nd AR, my first was a .300 BO 18" barrel, this one was a .223 Wylde 20" barrel. There was no way I could hv built either guns w/o this site. Out of all my stupid rookie questions I asked there were only 2 really smart assed people replied, wrote their call names down and I don't even know they exist, there is always 1-2 in every group. 98% of the people in here geuniunely care and want to build a better America and help people get into this and help protect our 2nd. I was just reading something from Falarak about buying a membership for 24.00, where do I sign up at. I want to be a paid member and more. HEY NEWBIES TAKE HEED IN THIS the 24.00 is nothing compared to the help and advise you will get from this site. ANYTHING you want to know from color scheme to trigger weights someone in here will know it and what manual they got it out of. Most of these guys are straight shooters and shoot from the heart not their blow hole. This will be the best 24.00 I hv ever spent, that's the least I can do, plus will do more. Thanks to everyone who helped me  

Just need to know where to go to pay?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Thresher61:
I just finished my 2nd AR, my first was a .300 BO 18" barrel, this one was a .223 Wylde 20" barrel. There was no way I could hv built either guns w/o this site. Out of all my stupid rookie questions I asked there were only 2 really smart assed people replied, wrote their call names down and I don't even know they exist, there is always 1-2 in every group. 98% of the people in here geuniunely care and want to build a better America and help people get into this and help protect our 2nd. I was just reading something from Falarak about buying a membership for 24.00, where do I sign up at. I want to be a paid member and more. HEY NEWBIES TAKE HEED IN THIS the 24.00 is nothing compared to the help and advise you will get from this site. ANYTHING you want to know from color scheme to trigger weights someone in here will know it and what manual they got it out of. Most of these guys are straight shooters and shoot from the heart not their blow hole. This will be the best 24.00 I hv ever spent, that's the least I can do, plus will do more. Thanks to everyone who helped me  

Just need to know where to go to pay?
View Quote

Team Memberships
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Bump.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:24:40 AM EDT
[#47]
big badda bump..
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#48]
This thread took me from "There's no way I can build an AR, I don't know anything about rifles" to "I just assembled my own lower from a bag of parts" in 7 days flat.

Plus, now I know how it actually worksAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:30:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By DimaChado:
This thread took me from "There's no way I can build an AR, I don't know anything about rifles" to "I just assembled my own lower from a bag of parts" in 7 days flat.

Plus, now I know how it actually workshttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459953/20170301-232301-157129.JPG
View Quote

Nice man.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Bumpity.  Lots of new members starting builds and asking questions, hopefully this thread will catch some attention.
Page / 15
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top