Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2004 7:26:29 PM EDT
I'm looking for a recoil pad that will attach to my standard A2 buttstock.  It's not that the recoil bothers me; I just don't like the hard buttplate.  I found that I'm not alone in getting my shoulder lightly bruised (appearance mostly) from the hard checkering when shooting in a t-shirt.

I tried the Masen (?) "pad" from Brownell's.  It was not much softer than the standard buttplate.  I wouldn't even call it a pad, more of a spacer to get more length of pull.  I'd really like something soft and squishy.

Anybody out there have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#1]
My ACE skeletonzied stock came with an optional rubber butt-pad.  Perhaps you could see if they sell that part alone and adapting it to your stock?
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Fancy lads.
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 2:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]

The only 'soft and squishy' buttpad I can think of is a Sims LimbSaver Slip-on recoil pad.  I've got them on several different heavier recoiling rifles including .50 muzzleloaders, a .300 WinMag Encore, and an A2 stocked .50 Beowulf.  I added the LimbSaver to the A2 stock to absorb more recoil, which it does very well.  The LimbSaver pad is very well made, the NavCom material is soft and seems to be holding up on all the rifles.  The pad adds about 1" to the length of pull and the large size fits the A2 buttstock well...

www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/firearms/slipon.aspx

edited to add:  Here's a thread showing some pictures of an A2 stock with a Sims LimbSaver recoil pad...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=204208&page=4
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 4:54:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Yeah.  It's time to man up, son.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2004 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions.  The other comments were expected.  Oh well!  People like their weapons in many different flavors, that's what keep the market thriving.
Link Posted: 11/25/2004 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Get an old pre-A1 buttstock without the trap door.  It's a bit shorter and lighter than the A2 and has a rubber butt plate instead of the hard one with checkering.

Best of all, it will look great and no one will laugh at you for having a big rubber pad from a .30-06 hunting rifle on your AR!

I get a "bruise" from shooting my Mosin-Nagant or even an M1 too much without a heavy shirt or jacket in the summer.  But I think I would have to shoot my AR with no shirt on for it to leave any kind of mark.  It really is a pussycat.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 11/25/2004 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Brownells sells the ACE rubber one separately.
Link Posted: 11/26/2004 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Accuracy Speaks makes a real nice top quailty adj outfit . It has a thin rubber pad that stays put no slipping off during action.You can adj LOP,cant and move it up and down to fit your body.It will increase LOP by about 1/2in. fully collapsed and can add alot of length if needed.I have 1 on my 3gun AR makes it so I can shoot it like a shotgun (shoots where I look) and keeps my nose from bumping the charging handle.Fulton Armory has a simular outfit but I have not personally touched one.Just an option.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top