Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 12:45:41 PM EDT
I'm finding that there's a time period where there's a bit of light outside but in order to identify something one would want a flashlight. I'm finding the 300 linen and lights don't really get the job done. I'm wondering how the X300 Surefires do on a rifle, it would be basically the same setup as a TLR 1 right? 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I use X300U as my backup. Not as good as M600U by a long shot, which is primary.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
They're ok, certainly better than a lot of options. The key thing is the butt that battery door up against a front sight or use the unit tactical cover. The SF m600 is a better alternative though. If you're on a budget and don't mind the weight, the SL HL-X is pretty damn awesome too
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're ok, certainly better than a lot of options. The key thing is the butt that battery door up against a front sight or use the unit tactical cover. The SF m600 is a better alternative though. If you're on a budget and don't mind the weight, the SL HL-X is pretty damn awesome too
View Quote
Run both and agree. The Streamlight Protac Rail HLX is on my budget gun and is the most powerful weaponlight I have... it's just a little bulky and heavy vs the M600 options. And I do have an Arisaka M300 which I don't find bad inside 50 yards. It's no M600 series or M600U but its, OK. I mean... I used to run 65 and 120 lumen weapon lights, so....
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember when those old incandescent Surefires were the bees knees with a whopping 60 lumens

I don't have an HLx on a rifle due to the weight, but I use the handheld on duty and the throw is absolutely killer. It's great.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I use one. They're great for mounting on the top rail, but if you use a laser, they're a bit cumbersome on the side rail, and negligent discharge of light is easy (Unless you buy the covers they make for the switches, the company's name escapes me right now).
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:48:23 AM EDT
[#6]
In this vein, wanting lumens and light weight, I got a tlr1-hl long gun kit.  800 lumens and way smaller than m600 or wmlx.  Mounted at 12 o'clock, in front of front sight.  Tape switch at 12 o'clock behind front sight.  I like it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I run 2...one on a mk18 in 3 o'clock position  and one on a 6450 SBR 9mm at 6 o'clock that's at my bedside. I don't use them for work or anything  and I've seen brighter but for what I need them for they are decent.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I use one, even run with it sometimes. I use it at 12 O'clock in front of my DD front sight. It's great for that application. It's 500 lumens, super tough, small and light weight. An M600 might have 100 more lumens but there's no way that's worth the additional weight and rail space, at least not to me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use one, even run with it sometimes. I use it at 12 O'clock in front of my DD front sight. It's great for that application. It's 500 lumens, super tough, small and light weight. An M600 might have 100 more lumens but there's no way that's worth the additional weight and rail space, at least not to me.
View Quote
The throw and beam pattern of an M600u is vastly different and better suited to the ranges a rifle is used at.

My pistol has an x300u, my rifle has an m600u. Both are used on duty.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The throw and beam pattern of an M600u is vastly different and better suited to the ranges a rifle is used at.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I'm sure it is. But you said on duty, which means you may have more "permission" to use a rifle at actual rifle ranges, where if I were to use them at the same ranges would be unlikely to justify force. For my needs and realistic civilian ranges the X300U throws an outstanding beam with a good balance of spot and flood, lights up every bit of my 1/2 acre homestead, and makes my rifle much lighter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I ran an X300 in front of a Daniel Defense front sight for about 20K rounds.    Worked great for indoors and close in outside stuff.  

Totally ambi, no shadow, comfortable to use.   I loved it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh I'm sure it is. But you said on duty, which means you may have more "permission" to use a rifle at actual rifle ranges, where if I were to use them at the same ranges would be unlikely to justify force. For my needs and realistic civilian ranges the X300U throws an outstanding beam with a good balance of spot and flood, lights up every bit of my 1/2 acre homestead, and makes my rifle much lighter.
View Quote
I can certainly understand where you're coming from.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes. I have it in front of my FSP.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
A lot of people do but they seem like a better pistol light
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree

As a civi I use the X300 because they are small, light and good enough for my AO
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#16]
X300s, TLRs and the like are handy in size and multi-purpose, though in my experience running them on work and recreational carbines, they are way too prone to negligent light discharges.  

My unit was running some nighttime CQB training in a mock town in the mountains in Colorado and we were doing an AAR/reset in an upstairs room.  No white light and everyone wearing nods even in between runs.  Someone's Surefire got bumped on a kneepad or other gear and the room was absolutely filled with light.  Same can happen with IR if one does not use a guard with paddle or tape switches.  

White light is essential in my mind, and X300s and TLRs are awesome on handguns and in holsters that protect the toggles.  But on a long gun in a situation that requires light discipline, I prefer a Surefire like a Fury in an offset mount with a clicky tailswitch or a tape switch that can be mounted in a recess or covered with a guard, which is far less prone to inadvertent activation when slung or working on other tasks.

For less than the cost of an X300 and about the same cost of a TLR-1HL, one can get a Fury and Gear Sector or similar mount for a brighter light with better throw and beam patterns and less likely to ND.  For more, one can get a Scout.  If one wants a tapeswitch, that's the way to go, but I have a strong preference for the clicky Fury and similar setups for a number of reasons that don't involve cost.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
X300s, TLRs and the like are handy in size and multi-purpose, though in my experience running them on work and recreational carbines, they are way too prone to negligent light discharges.  

My unit was running some nighttime CQB training in a mock town in the mountains in Colorado and we were doing an AAR/reset in an upstairs room.  No white light and everyone wearing nods even in between runs.  Someone's Surefire got bumped on a kneepad or other gear and the room was absolutely filled with light.  Same can happen with IR if one does not use a guard with paddle or tape switches.  

White light is essential in my mind, and X300s and TLRs are awesome on handguns and in holsters that protect the toggles.  But on a long gun in a situation that requires light discipline, I prefer a Surefire like a Fury in an offset mount with a clicky tailswitch or a tape switch that can be mounted in a recess or covered with a guard, which is far less prone to inadvertent activation when slung or working on other tasks.

For less than the cost of an X300 and about the same cost of a TLR-1HL, one can get a Fury and Gear Sector or similar mount for a brighter light with better throw and beam patterns and less likely to ND.  For more, one can get a Scout.  If one wants a tapeswitch, that's the way to go, but I have a strong preference for the clicky Fury and similar setups for a number of reasons that don't involve cost.
View Quote
good post
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
http://www.unitytactical.com/shop/exo-surefire-x-series/

You can also set them up with tape switches if you prefer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I like mine

I like that it's ambidextrous and the switch has both momentary-on and just on.  Also that it doesn't add any "girth" to the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#20]
X300V and an OTAL with the dual tape switch.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I run an x300 on top of one of my SBRs.  I have a DD fixed front sight right behind it to protect the cheap plastic battery cover.  Overall I really like the setup.  No issues with shadowing.  Very little shadow with a can attached.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like mine

https://i.imgur.com/CWJITbR.jpg?2

I like that it's ambidextrous and the switch has both momentary-on and just on.  Also that it doesn't add any "girth" to the rifle.
View Quote
I like this build
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In this vein, wanting lumens and light weight, I got a tlr1-hl long gun kit.  800 lumens and way smaller than m600 or wmlx.  Mounted at 12 o'clock, in front of front sight.  Tape switch at 12 o'clock behind front sight.  I like it.
View Quote
the TLRHL is a better option. I have an older X300 with the cross bar lock & key it mounts very loose and rattles on my KAC rails.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

the TLRHL is a better option. I have an older X300 with the cross bar lock & key it mounts very loose and rattles on my KAC rails.
View Quote
Sounds like yours is set up for the style of rail that's found on Glocks.  The tan X300 in my picture is tight as a drum, but if I pull the black one off my Glock 22 and try to put it on the Fortis rail it's loose as a goose.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#25]
the x300 is shorter than a tlr-2  it is harder to mount thr tlr can be mounted with no tools the x300 needs an allen wrench to lock down tight on the rail.

I prefer the tlr1 HL personally, but I love the surefire tape switch options so I have a older x300 on my carbine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the SL TLR-1s and TLR-1 HL and both have been used on handguns, AR pistols, carbines and rifles. I never tried the rifle kit on any of them. Decent lights, but the switches lack needed resistance. Accidental activation's are to be expected with them.
The 1s model puts out plenty of light for 100 yards, with a magnified optic. The HL model steps it up with plenty of flood, and a good amount of throw @ 100yds for ID of target without a magnified optic. This one, much better with a magnified optic.
The SL RM-1 was released and like most, I decided to try one in place of my Surefire M300c. Before deciding to try the RM-1, I was aware of it being slightly larger than the SFM300. When the light arrived, visually comparing looks and weight, the SFM300c stayed where it was. I tossed the RM-1 in the drawer. Streamlight products are cheap. Cheap in cost, cheap in design, cheap in quality. The pistol lights are use only around my home.

I have the Surefires X300U-b, M300c, and M600u.

The X300U-b has lived on my handguns and my rifles. It is longer the similar brand above. The switch is much more stiff and takes more effort for a push activation. The switch rotation to activate the light is also more firm. The x300u-b can not be compared to the above in this area. It wins. Mounted on an AR pistol is where I feel this light is at home, in front of the front sight. BUIS line of sight for over the x300u, works, but not by much with Magpul Pro or KAC micros. I think this is the case with all BUIS. The x300U-B model has plenty of flood and spill with a nice hotspot to reach out well over 100 yards. I like this one more for handguns and AR pistols/SBR

The Surefire M300c, compared to the Streamlight, there is no comparison. Period. My opinion. The light has plenty of horsepower to reach out well over 100 yards. I use them on AR pistols and carbines in the activation configurations Surefire offers.
The Surefire M600 Ultra is a step above the M300c. This light size is best for rifles. My opinion. The light has plenty of horsepower to reach out well over 100 yards. I use them in the activation configurations
Surefire offers.
The Surefires are expensive. Are they worth it? Buy one. Compare to Streamlight. You determine that yourself. I benefit nothing from anything I said.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top