Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2017 8:20:07 PM EDT
I need to attach a tape switch onto a standard mid length handguard. I use to use tape, but now I want something more permanent.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
gorilla glue

I have tried lots of things but the new switches that clip onto a 1913 style rail work the best.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]
2-part Epoxy, JBL weld, automotive RTV (silicon gasket maker), zip ties, twist ties, shoe laces, bailing wire
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
mountain bike inner tube
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
mountain bike inner tube
View Quote
now how would I do that?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Use hockey tape.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
now how would I do that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
mountain bike inner tube
now how would I do that?
cut a section of tube, stretch it over the upper, whichever end is easier. if you don't have a front sight base, from the muzzle is easiest. buy a tube with a slightly smaller diameter than that of your handguard, so that the stretch of the rubber holds it in place
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Zip ties or bicycle inner tube.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#8]
This should work if your "standard" rail is 1913.

Link
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Tareinco tape switch holder. By no means a permanent solution, but they work well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:35:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tareinco tape switch holder. By no means a permanent solution, but they work well.
View Quote
This or cloud defensive which is a little more pricey, but very sturdy
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
limited on models of tape switch that can be used with the CDLC. I've been pestering them for months to get one for the dbal, and it's still "in the works."
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Tape switches suck. It's just a massive, exposed point of failure for the light.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tape switches suck. It's just a massive, exposed point of failure for the light.
View Quote
Yes lights are just stupid to begin with too.   I have seen boxes of broken clicky cap tail switches confirming your theory.

Not all of us are in perfect health either My left hand is slightly paralyzed so it is tape switch or nothing.

OP the bike tube works best when mounting a switch on a VFG

Attachment Attached File

switches like this mount directly on a 1913 rail they work well
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
mountain bike inner tube
View Quote
+1

Ranger bands all the way
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes lights are just stupid to begin with too.   I have seen boxes of broken clicky cap tail switches confirming your theory.

Not all of us are in perfect health either My left hand is slightly paralyzed so it is tape switch or nothing.

OP the bike tube works best when mounting a switch on a VFG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59914/------this-on-233647.JPG

switches like this mount directly on a 1913 rail they work well
View Quote
I live in CA, VFG aren't an option. Well unless I don't want those retarded mag releases where  you need to pop your rear pin.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Velcro tape
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't really necessarily see a reason to avoid electrical tape--it's functional and can easily and cheaply be replaced when necessary, but I understand that folks don't like the way it looks--not necessarily even aesthetically, but the just the concept of having electrical tape on your gun, and I guess you could get some adhesive "glue."

That being said, I've been working with a lot of different types of remote switches recently, and have had to swap things out fairly often--IMHO:

Adhesive backed Velcro for the pad has, for me been effective in retaining just the switch when used on a flat side (not so much directly on rails), you just need to make sure you clean the surface with an alcohol swab before application and stick it once, if you mess up the placement, remove it and use a new piece, don't try to "re-stick" the same piece of Velcro. Once you've placed the adhesive pad in the desired position, leave it alone for a while to let it set. Most of the time when people have problems with adhesive Velcro sticking, it's because of one or all of these things.  

Once you've done that, the pad itself should stick fine, and can easily be "reinforced" by small zip ties (you can use the zip ties to attach the pad without the Velcro, but the combination allows for a pretty solid mounting).

For wire management, I like LaRue Index Clips for routing applications, while for simple management I like to use Velcro cinch straps and/or McNett Camo-Form, both of which are fairly secure, low profile, re-useable and replaceable, and look fairly professional when done with adequate care (McNett can be cut to width/shape).  

~Augee
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use the cloud defense mount and it has been great.  Def kinda pricey but a good concept and very sturdy
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top