Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/18/2017 8:41:28 PM EDT
I like vfg's on my AR's, but I've struggled w/finding a light setup that I really like.
Until recently, best I could do (w/o using a pressure switch which I really want to avoid) was mounting a light at 9 o'clock and bringing my support-side thumb over and up to reach the switch. Doable but not optimal.

Enter the Colt WML. It has 3 features that really appeal to me:

Uses AA batteries (my WML's are the only thing that uses CR123's, everything else I have uses AA's).
400 lumen output (even the Surefire M600 AA only puts out 200 lumens).
Modular w/reversible offset mount that allows me to position the switch where it's easily accessible w/o contorting my thumb. Supposedly you can run the Colt WML shorter (remove a section) w/a single AA at reduced output, but there was nothing on the box about it either way.

I have mine set w/the mount to the rear and the bezel just barely forward of the FSB, places my bbl shadow at 10:30 (which I prefer to a 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock shadow).

I compared the output to a Streamlight RM1 (350 lumens) and output is near-identical, but the RM1's throw pattern seems a bit better (the Colt's pattern has a ring within the peripheral throw; nothing major but there nonetheless).

The Colt's switch has no guard. At first this bothered me until I put some time behind it. It takes deliberate effort to activate the momentary-on and very deliberate effort to activate constant-on, so I'm no longer bothered by the lack of a guard.

I don't care for the unusual remote jack protruding the way it does. I can live w/it, but I'd rather have a std clicky-tailcap switch instead of the unwanted/unneeded remote jack.

It's relatively heavy at 8oz, but I can live w/that. I like that it's so low profile, really hugging my Magpul MOE handguards.

I'm hoping to get in a couple of night shoots sometime soon so I can properly evaluate the throw, beam pattern & switch use during live fire.

I don't see the Colt WML as anywhere near being a Surefire/Streamlight killer, but it does offer some unique features that make it suitable for a niche market (like me!) where other available options won't do.

ETA: Like some Streamlights, it's made in the PRC and I paid $124 at GrabAGun (I spend way too much money there! )

Tomac

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:47:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I had no idea colt even made a light.

Nice write up and thanks for the tip. This seems like what a lot of people are after in a WML.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had no idea colt even made a light.
Nice write up and thanks for the tip. This seems like what a lot of people are after in a WML.
View Quote
Thx.
I can see how its usefulness isn't limited only to vfg users like myself. For example, if you take the light exactly as I have it set up and mount it to the other side of the handguard, the light & switch will be at the 10:30 position for non-vfg use.
Again, if you're happy w/your current WML, there's no real reason to go w/the Colt but it does offer some features not available w/other WML's.

Tomac
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
That's almost as ugly as the Glock brand weaponlights.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
No doubt that thing puts the "UG" in Ugly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Colt weapon lights: Ripping off Steiner then marketing to people who don't know the market.
View Quote
Yep. Just like Streamlight ripping off Surefire designs right down to using the same aftermarket mounts.

Tomac
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like a Steiner ripoff, but I'll forgive it since it uses AAs instead of CR123s and looks like it has a Surefire-esque switch instead of that strange nub-thing Steiner likes. And also costs like 1/3 as much. I'll have to check it out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like a Steiner ripoff, but I'll forgive it since it uses AAs instead of CR123s and looks like it has a Surefire-esque switch instead of that strange nub-thing Steiner likes. And also costs like 1/3 as much. I'll have to check it out.
View Quote
FWIW, talked to the Colt lights guys at the NRA show and they said they've actually been making weapon lights for 10 or 15 (don't remember which) and private labeling them for other companies so it may be the other way around.  Not sure, but that's what they said.

Mine on a SCAR16:

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#10]
After some experimentation, this is the final configuration. Balance/handling are improved and by using the Magpul cantilever mount I can remove the midsection of the light and run on a single AA if needbe.

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Update: Finally did a night shoot, the Colt WML performed perfectly, effective range is appx 100yds although you can easily spot movement and basic details a good ways beyond that.

Tomac
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
anybody have a link to buy one of these lights?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

FWIW, talked to the Colt lights guys at the NRA show and they said they've actually been making weapon lights for 10 or 15 (don't remember which) and private labeling them for other companies so it may be the other way around.  Not sure, but that's what they said.
View Quote
Making?  Does that they are making them in the US, or being designed here and manufactured out of China?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
anybody have a link to buy one of these lights?
View Quote
I purchased mine from GrabAGun: https://grabagun.com/coltlt-cltsepms4002aa-microtac-400-lgt.html

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I want to rescind anything and everything I said or thought negatively about this light without trying it. This is a great light, especially for the price. I decided to get one to try and it's fantabulous. CR123 bright, but with AAs, and it even fits NiMH AAs (although I'll note it fits the regular white Eneloops, but not the extra-thick black Eneloop Pros) so no need to burn expensive lithiums unless you want to. It casts a huge beam well across the small lake behind me at night such that I can see small animals on the other side with ease. Not to mention I've been beating it up with .308 recoil for the last couple months and it seems to care not one tiny little bit. The swappable head and tail make it easy to configure for mounting anywhere without worrying about a tape switch. AFG? Mounts for convenient thumb access. C-clamp hold? Mounts for convenient thumb access. VFG? Switch the direction and it mounts for convenient thumb access.

Literally the only criticism I have is I wish they sold an optional tailcap without the switch plug incase you don't plan to use it, as that tends to get in the way. That said, it works fine with a little rotation away from all-the-way tight so you can position it out of the way.

Seems to be durable as hell, claims of being water resistant held true in heavy rain, easy to clean up, looks like it'd be a cinch to maintain if they sold spare parts.

Considering it costs like $130 from certain retailers if you shop around, I'll give this light two thumbs up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I want to rescind anything and everything I said or thought negatively about this light without trying it. This is a great light, especially for the price. I decided to get one to try and it's fantabulous. CR123 bright, but with AAs, and it even fits NiMH AAs (although I'll note it fits the regular white Eneloops, but not the extra-thick black Eneloop Pros) so no need to burn expensive lithiums unless you want to. It casts a huge beam well across the small lake behind me at night such that I can see small animals on the other side with ease. Not to mention I've been beating it up with .308 recoil for the last couple months and it seems to care not one tiny little bit. The swappable head and tail make it easy to configure for mounting anywhere without worrying about a tape switch. AFG? Mounts for convenient thumb access. C-clamp hold? Mounts for convenient thumb access. VFG? Switch the direction and it mounts for convenient thumb access.

Literally the only criticism I have is I wish they sold an optional tailcap without the switch plug incase you don't plan to use it, as that tends to get in the way. That said, it works fine with a little rotation away from all-the-way tight so you can position it out of the way.

Seems to be durable as hell, claims of being water resistant held true in heavy rain, easy to clean up, looks like it'd be a cinch to maintain if they sold spare parts.

Considering it costs like $130 from certain retailers if you shop around, I'll give this light two thumbs up.
View Quote
Still using mine, still love mine.
Like you, I ended up rotating the tailcap to get the remote plug out of the way (I emailed the company and they said this light is designed to allow rotation of the tailcap for optimal placement w/o compromising water resistance).
I've been using Eneloops in mine for some time now and discovered a few of my std Eneloops are snug but most (and I have dozens) slide freely.
As I posted earlier, using the Magpul cantilever rail on my MOE handguards has been about perfect for placement and ease of switch access for me and allows the bezel to clear the handguard should I ever need to remove the center section to use a single AA at 200 lumens.
I'd been waiting a long time for a decent AA WML and it looks like my wait is finally over.

Tomac

ETA: The Meprolight Tru-Dot RDS shown below uses a single AA which simplifies my logistics.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I approve of the Lancer.

Here's mine on my Colt 901. Same idea here, sight, light, IR and visible laser all powered by AAs.

Configured for VFG:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

For AFG or bare handguard:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top