Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2017 11:06:23 PM EDT
Hey guy/gals,

What lights do you have mounted on your rifles/shotguns, that aren't the usual standard (Surefire, Streamlight, Elzetta)? 

Let talk why you chose the particular light, price/features/functions/details etc. Pics/vids of performance greatly encouraged. 
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in on this one. Can we talk about potential candidates, like Klarus, Fenix, Olight, EagTac, Nitecore, Lumintop, ArmyTek and other similarities?
I have a good collection. Nothing tried weapon mounted yet, but I do have plans to try some! I would enjoy hearing from others that have tried the "other" possible weapon lights!!

What mounting options are the best for them?

Some samples I have.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Right now i have a Klarus XT2C XT11S and XT11GT. I think I may pick up a Nitecore P10GT and TM03 soon.
I've owned and Armytek Predator, which I gave to my buddy for coyote hunting.

I now use the XT11GT as my mounted weapon. It output 2k lumens with a unprotected 18650. It has multiple modes. I use what they call Advanced Tactical mode. Which is turbo and strobe only.

Here's a few shots from the house. It has good flood and the Hotspot is still enough to prevent an assailant to seeing my silhouette. 

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in on this one. Can we talk about potential candidates, like Klarus, Fenix, Olight, EagTac, Nitecore, Lumintop, ArmyTek and other similarities?
I have a good collection. Nothing tried weapon mounted yet, but I do have plans to try some! I would enjoy hearing from others that have tried the "other" possible weapon lights!!

What mounting options are the best for them?

Some samples I have.
https://s8.postimg.org/4dcs7xu5x/lights.jpg
View Quote
Nice spread.

I have successfully mounted lights of these sizes in a Arisaka Inline mount and Arson Machine mount. Both mlok. I have been unsuccessful in using my lights with the Haley Strategic Thorntail. The heads/tail were too large for the mount. The mount also interferedo with my front sight. 

Both companies do offer keymod and picatinny solutions.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

not mine. but I do have one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Right now i have a Klarus XT2C XT11S and XT11GT. I think I may pick up a Nitecore P10GT and TM03 soon.
I've owned and Armytek Predator, which I gave to my buddy for coyote hunting.

I now use the XT11GT as my mounted weapon. It output 2k lumens with a unprotected 18650. It has multiple modes. I use what they call Advanced Tactical mode. Which is turbo and strobe only.

Here's a few shots from the house. It has good flood and the Hotspot is still enough to prevent an assailant to seeing my silhouette. 
View Quote
Careful now. You may be a border line addict. The Klarus line is a nice choice of flashlights. No plans for the XT1C? For inside the house (outside even) it's a 700 lumen power house. I recommend anyone looking for a small CQB, consider it.
Did you not like the ArmyTek light, or was it too large of head next to the handguard? I need to get some kind of mount so I can mock mine up alongside the rail.
Of the two, the XT11S is the thrower, while the XT11GT has more spill and a bigger hot spot. Marshall (goinggear.com) has a nice video (very long in tooth) XT11S vs XT11GT Review
The hot spot in your living areas, looks like a complete washout. That thing is BRIGHT. Hard to tell actually how bright it is in the image of the beam shining back at the camera. Who was taking the picture?

Great thread topic!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice spread.

I have successfully mounted lights of these sizes in a Arisaka Inline mount and Arson Machine mount. Both mlok. I have been unsuccessful in using my lights with the Haley Strategic Thorntail. The heads/tail were too large for the mount. The mount also interferedo with my front sight. 

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nice spread.

I tend to collect the throwers while looking for something to reside on my Coyote injector. I'm not sure yet which one (from what I have) that I'll consider.
Did the ArmyTek light mount up OK with the Arisaka and Arson Machine mounts? Dave @ Arson Machine is making some nice mounts. He's got a nice selection.
Funny you to mention a HS Thorntail. I bought one myself and learned it would not work as well.

I looked into the Roush lights. How's it working out for you? Is it all you expected it to be?
I considered getting one for my AR Pistol. I ended up going with the SFX300u-b instead
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I looked into the Roush lights. How's it working out for you? Is it all you expected it to be?
I considered getting one for my AR Pistol. I ended up going with the SFX300u-b instead
I like it. I have it on an AR Pistol along with an Aimpoint Pro. I haven't shot it at night. So, I can't say anything about that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Careful now. You may be a border line addict. The Klarus line is a nice choice of flashlights. No plans for the XT1C? For inside the house (outside even) it's a 700 lumen power house. I recommend anyone looking for a small CQB, consider it.
Did you not like the ArmyTek light, or was it too large of head next to the handguard? I need to get some kind of mount so I can mock mine up alongside the rail.
Of the two, the XT11S is the thrower, while the XT11GT has more spill and a bigger hot spot. Marshall (goinggear.com) has a nice video (very long in tooth) XT11S vs XT11GT Review
The hot spot in your living areas, looks like a complete washout. That thing is BRIGHT. Hard to tell actually how bright it is in the image of the beam shining back at the camera. Who was taking the picture?

Great thread topic!
View Quote
I use the XT1C for my EDC mostly.  At night I leave it next to my pistol drawer safe. The XT11S is now for my car. I like the the degree of illumination on the XT11GT better for the rifle, so switched the rolls.

I love the Armytek. At the time my buddy needed something to mount for hunting. I may still buy another one. Definitely a great light for the price. It mounted up perfect for me. It wasn't at all intrusive. 

I just snapped those real quick last night with my phone. The dslr takes far better pics. The flare wouldn't have been so extreme. It's a bright led, indeed. 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I tend to collect the throwers while looking for something to reside on my Coyote injector. I'm not sure yet which one (from what I have) that I'll consider.
Did the ArmyTek light mount up OK with the Arisaka and Arson Machine mounts? Dave @ Arson Machine is making some nice mounts. He's got a nice selection.
Funny you to mention a HS Thorntail. I bought one myself and learned it would not work as well.
View Quote
Both mounts provide enough space for the light to sit in. I haven't had an issue with any 1" body light in either mount. The Thorntail is too compact for lights of similar dimensions as the Armytek and klarus XT's.  Found that either the the tailcap was faying or the head was.I had that mount for less than 24hrs before I posted it on EE. Bought another Arson mount that same day. It's great mount for sure. I think out of the Arson/Arisaka mounts, the Arson mount will work the best, for any application.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Both mounts provide enough space for the light to sit in. I haven't had an issue with any 1" body light in either mount. The Thorntail is too compact for lights of similar dimensions as the Armytek and klarus XT's.  Found that either the the tailcap was faying or the head was.I had that mount for less than 24hrs before I posted it on EE. Bought another Arson mount that same day. It's great mount for sure. I think out of the Arson/Arisaka mounts, the Arson mount will work the best, for any application.
View Quote
I currently use the XT1C as my EDC, after I researched the heck out of it. I'd like to try others in the single 16340 size with similar features.
The XT12GT (1600 lumen) was my 2nd Klarus. I bought it with the intention of mounting it to my Coyote Injector, but I think there are better lights. ArmyTek? I don't know. I'm still searching. LOL.
I've had several of the HS Thorntails. They're nice, but they eat up a LOT of rail space. The longer version anyway, so I sold them all.
I still have one left that I was going to try, but as you mention, they will not work for lights with heads over an inch in size. At least along side the hand guard anyway.

With your light, (that has a 1" or 1.25" head?) do you have the head in front of the rail, or along side? Knowing your mounting method will help my decision on what I need for a mount.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I currently use the XT1C as my EDC, after I researched the heck out of it. I'd like to try others in the single 16340 size with similar features.
The XT12GT (1600 lumen) was my 2nd Klarus. I bought it with the intention of mounting it to my Coyote Injector, but I think there are better lights. ArmyTek? I don't know. I'm still searching. LOL.
I've had several of the HS Thorntails. They're nice, but they eat up a LOT of rail space. The longer version anyway, so I sold them all.
I still have one left that I was going to try, but as you mention, they will not work for lights with heads over an inch in size. At least along side the hand guard anyway.

With your light, (that has a 1" or 1.25" head?) do you have the head in front of the rail, or along side? Knowing your mounting method will help my decision on what I need for a mount.
View Quote
Sorry, I have the XT2C not the 1C. The 1C is nice and I may get one for the smaller pocket profile.

I love the Thorntail design. I wish the ring sat at least and .125-.250 away from the mount itself. 

The head of the XT11GT goes to about 1.3".

This is an old pic of the 11S mounted to my old rail (couple months old). The light is on the Arisaka mount. The Arson mount sit the light in fairly the same spot is the Arisaka... On the 11.5" I had it mounted flush with the muzzle device. It out aprox 1500 rds with this setup with, no issues. Basically kills the notion that the muzzle break will utterly destroyed light. It may but it hasn't. It the most comfortable position for me to use the light and handle the rifle.

This is the XT2C in the Arson mount as a mock up. Note this light isn't double springed, so not truly for weapon light use.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Nitenumen NE01 (Nitecore clone) 1000 lumen for $23 (without 18650 battery).  Odin Works tac light mount.  Only downside is the button on the reflector bell instead of the more convenient end button.  Big time durable and bright light.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nitenumen NE01 (Nitecore clone) 1000 lumen for $23 (without 18650 battery).  Odin Works tac light mount.  Only downside is the button on the reflector bell instead of the more convenient end button.  Big time durable and bright light.
View Quote
A nice stubby light. I can see the activation still working ok, with just a modified c-grip.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sorry, I have the XT2C not the 1C. The 1C is nice and I may get one for the smaller pocket profile. The XT1C is sprung on both ends.

I love the Thorntail design. I wish the ring sat at least and .125-.250 away from the mount itself. I think they could redesign as another option, to extend off the side of the rail. But, is it worth it to them? Hard saying where lights will expand too, to determine that.

This is an old pic of the 11S mounted to my old rail (couple months old). The light is on the Arisaka mount. The Arson mount sit the light in fairly the same spot is the Arisaka... On the 11.5" I had it mounted flush with the muzzle device. It out aprox 1500 rds with this setup with, no issues. Basically kills the notion that the muzzle break will utterly destroyed light. It may but it hasn't. It the most comfortable position for me to use the light and handle the rifle. Yeah, that's an issue I have. I don't like putting the head of the light in the blast area if I can avoid it.

This is the XT2C in the Arson mount as a mock up. Note this light isn't double springed, so not truly for weapon light use. I did not look into the XT2C, so that's good to know. I wonder if a spring can be added?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't like single side button activation. If it has a tail clicky on/off, and a side button mode, I might, no I wouldn't consider one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I have the XT2C not the 1C. The 1C is nice and I may get one for the smaller pocket profile. The XT1C is sprung on both ends.

I love the Thorntail design. I wish the ring sat at least and .125-.250 away from the mount itself. I think they could redesign as another option, to extend off the side of the rail. But, is it worth it to them? Hard saying where lights will expand too, to determine that.

This is an old pic of the 11S mounted to my old rail (couple months old). The light is on the Arisaka mount. The Arson mount sit the light in fairly the same spot is the Arisaka... On the 11.5" I had it mounted flush with the muzzle device. It out aprox 1500 rds with this setup with, no issues. Basically kills the notion that the muzzle break will utterly destroyed light. It may but it hasn't. It the most comfortable position for me to use the light and handle the rifle. Yeah, that's an issue I have. I don't like putting the head of the light in the blast area if I can avoid it.

This is the XT2C in the Arson mount as a mock up. Note this light isn't double springed, so not truly for weapon light use. I did not look into the XT2C, so that's good to know. I wonder if a spring can be added?
The new XT2C models may be double springed. I have the 900lm model that came out in 2015. I don't think a spring could be retrofitted. The compartment was already sized for not having 2 springs with the battery. 
I have ran lights flush with the muzzle for years. Bout the only thing that has happened to any light is the anodizing comes off. I kind of take the muzzle thing as a grain of salt. Much like the blinding oneself with too many lumen bouncing off wall in one's home... at the end of the day it test the durability. If it brakes then i an excuse text buy more lights. Buy 3 for everyone 1 broken lol. 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:37:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I discovered LensLight's focusable weaponlight and successfully use them on several ARs.  Integrated scout-type mount, focusable from a small square to wide flood, tough, well-made and looks great.

http://lens-light.com/products/ll-k-o-wm-black.html

Don't let the MSRP scare you - Sorry if this breaks any rules, but I've found BladeHQ has by far the best price and beats MSRP handily.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I discovered LensLight's focusable weaponlight and successfully use them on several ARs.  Integrated scout-type mount, focusable from a small square to wide flood, tough, well-made and looks great.

http://lens-light.com/products/ll-k-o-wm-black.html

Don't let the MSRP scare you - Sorry if this breaks any rules, but I've found BladeHQ has by far the best price and beats MSRP handily.
View Quote
I got a Lens-Light mini (the 1 cell light), and it's okay.  I like the ability to focus, but the switch kind of sucks.  It takes too little pressure to click it to on, so the momentary is kind of useless under stress.  Took a class with this light on my rifle and it was great for static shooting, but once you added movement and needed to run it momentarily then back off, I would over do it and click it on.  Switched it out to one of my P2X Fury with the twisty switch about 1/4 the way through the class and had a much better time with it.  But I still like the light, I just don't use it on a rifle now because of that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey guy/gals,

What lights do you have mounted on your rifles/shotguns, that aren't the usual standard (Surefire, Streamlight, Elzetta)? 

Let talk why you chose the particular light, price/features/functions/details etc. Pics/vids of performance greatly encouraged. 
View Quote

You didn't mention Malkoff, but I'd assume their included in your list. For anything I'd trust my life to? I haven't found anything as of yet. For just shooting at paper bad guys at a static range a Solar Force 6P copy works decent although I have had a few break at the solder joints where the spring meets the circuit board. If you beef up that area and where the spring meets the lamp module you should have a decent light for @ 25.00, but then again I would not even risk taking a class with it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#20]
My work guns are all Stream light tlr-1hl ,or tlr-2hl, . or the tlr-2 ir eysafe  smaller brighter,lighter, & better runtime than any of the competition.

the only surefires i still use are on my clones.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top