Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2017 5:23:44 PM EDT
Gents, I just purchased an SR-07 for my Surefire Scout Light on my AR. I am looking for ideas or currently used methods to "tie down" the wire of the push-button switch to the hand guards. I don't want it snagging on brush or anything of the like. I have a number of ideas, but, my main concern is heat. Is there any specific method that everyone uses to secure the push-button wire to the handguards that is not affected by heat from the barrel/hand guards? Last thing I want is a rubber band or zip tie melting to my Vltor hand guards/rails. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Look into Larue Index Clips. Check the EE for good deals.
You only need a few, but trust me in saying, you'll eventually need some for other situations like you're in currently.
I have multiple sets in ODG, black, and FDE for the time of need.
The index clips are great for filling space on the top rail, and exact placement when you R&R red dots or other optics.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, brother!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look into Larue Index Clips. Check the EE for good deals.
You only need a few, but trust me in saying, you'll eventually need some for other situations like you're in currently.
I have multiple sets in ODG, black, and FDE for the time of need.
The index clips are great for filling space on the top rail, and exact placement when you R&R red dots or other optics.
View Quote
Not to hijack this thread, but what is a good solution for tying the wire down when it's on a BCM KMR rail?  Aren't the LaRue clips only for picatinny rails?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not to hijack this thread, but what is a good solution for tying the wire down when it's on a BCM KMR rail?  Aren't the LaRue clips only for picatinny rails?  

Thanks.
View Quote
The Larue clips are for picatinny.
I run basically a KMR, the MI Gen2 SS hand guards, and run Surefire lights with just the reverse clicky. Or the X300 @ 12 o'clock.
If I could see your configuration, I may have an idea to suggest, or someone else might hop in here with a solution.
Sorry I can't have more of an answer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Larue clips are for picatinny.
I run basically a KMR, the MI Gen2 SS hand guards, and run Surefire lights with just the reverse clicky. Or the X300 @ 12 o'clock.
If I could see your configuration, I may have an idea to suggest, or someone else might hop in here with a solution.
Sorry I can't have more of an answer.
View Quote
Thanks for the quick reply. This is what I'm working with.

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
for your situation, I still recommend The Larue Clips, in offset. You can run the wire between the pic slots, and attach on the other side as well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
for your situation, I still recommend The Larue Clips, in offset. You can run the wire between the pic slots, and attach on the other side as well.
View Quote
Thank you Sir.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for the quick reply. This is what I'm working with.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd398/HappilyAddictedMD/DSC_0773_zpsojvktsk2.jpg
View Quote
Get some index clips and use them behind the pressure pad on the 12 o'clock rail.  Or just use a few zip ties through the keymod slots.  You're not going to melt them so long as they're not touching the barrel/GB/gas tube.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Get some index clips and use them behind the pressure pad on the 12 o'clock rail.  Or just use a few zip ties through the keymod slots.  You're not going to melt them so long as they're not touching the barrel/GB/gas tube.
View Quote
Thank you. I'll experiment with both.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:21:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Turn the pressure pad around (reverse it 180 degrees) and the cord won't need tying down
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Turn the pressure pad around (reverse it 180 degrees) and the cord won't need tying down
View Quote
That's exactly what I did.  It's a lot better. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#13]
KAC makes keymod rail covers with clips for wire management.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Rather than zip ties, I have been using this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PQRLYC?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Once you tie the cable down using a clovehitch knot, and then adding one more stitch to make it a square knot locking it up, trim and apply some heat (bic lighter, heat gun,, etc.) to melt the cord's wax together.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I use zip ties to hold the sr07 down and to mange the wires for both my light and dbal switch. Works well. I've gotten the rifle too hot to touch with bare hands and nothing has melted. I made sure to think it out carefully so nothing touches the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I can't think of the name of the brand or product for the life of me.
Maybe someone else could chime in on that.

I used to use this 1" wide elastic band, and it had slots sewn in for either a traditional pressure switch, or you could run wires through it.

I no longer use it. It's yours if you want it. Shoot me an email for pics or details.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:52:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:36:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can't think of the name of the brand or product for the life of me.
Maybe someone else could chime in on that.

I used to use this 1" wide elastic band, and it had slots sewn in for either a traditional pressure switch, or you could run wires through it.

I no longer use it. It's yours if you want it. Shoot me an email for pics or details.
View Quote
Tareinco
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Tareinco
View Quote
This.

Thank you sir
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
^^This.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

I use the BCM rail covers for the KMR. I've had this rifle smoking hot several times. The wire is unphased and continues to work every single day.
As long as it doesn't touch metal I would think you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:08:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thank you!  Nice rig.
View Quote
Forgot to mention that's direct mounted using the Surefire mount and this BCM 3" rail section, only need two Larue clips.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Again, why tie it down when reversing the pad keeps the wire out of the way?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Look at the cloud defense tape switch mount.  I saw another member here with one and decided to try it out and I have nothing but good things to say about it so far.  It holds the wire out of the way, it is aluminum (6061), and it is very secure on the rail.  I like it a lot better than the SR07 I used in the past.  I'll post some pics if i think about it when i get home this afternoon.  But seriously take a look.  Wire control + tapeswitch mount all in a pretty compact package.

ETA: A lot of the google pics are of the gen1 which has significantly more bulk than the gen2 which is what you would be getting now.

https://clouddefensive.com/collections
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
KAC makes rail covers that also hold down the wire. I have them on my setup and they work really well. I can post pic if you want
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I am trying to become educated in the ways of tape switches right now myself. I bought a dball recently.  Setup is a dbal and a Surefire mini Scout. I like to get them all set up on my favorite carbine. I tried running everything with just their native activation buttons. I can't say that I really liked it. I think a tape switch would be the way to go. I see that there's lots of ways to go about it. Just not sure which way is the ideal way?

I see that the Taps which is out now, and Surefire also has a dual button switch. I noticed the one picture in this thread had a Surefire switch the head of very raised up fence around the button. I really like that idea just for tactile feel.

So what's considered the best practice currently? A double switch at 12 o'clock? Two Independent swivhes is located in different places on the rail? What was the raised fence surefire like I saw in the photo?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:15:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Look at the cloud defense tape switch mount.  I saw another member here with one and decided to try it out and I have nothing but good things to say about it so far.  It holds the wire out of the way, it is aluminum (6061), and it is very secure on the rail.  I like it a lot better than the SR07 I used in the past.  I'll post some pics if i think about it when i get home this afternoon.  But seriously take a look.  Wire control + tapeswitch mount all in a pretty compact package.

ETA: A lot of the google pics are of the gen1 which has significantly more bulk than the gen2 which is what you would be getting now.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

i want to like those mounts, but they just seem like such an over engineered solution. i ran my SR07-D-IT wedged in at a 45 between the 9 and 12 o'clock rails and it worked great. maybe im lucky but i never had a problem with zip ties melting. for cable management if zip ties dont work for you try these http://ergogrips.net/shop/ergo-5-slot-lowpro-wire-loom-rail-covers/ i love mine

what i do for that is pull the slack up by the body of the flashlight to its between the hand guard and the light. then zip tie around the base of the plug so secure the slack. the wire does an s and it keeps all the slack out of the way without worrying about melting the zip tie.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

i want to like those mounts, but they just seem like such an over engineered solution. i ran my SR07-D-IT wedged in at a 45 between the 9 and 12 o'clock rails and it worked great. maybe im lucky but i never had a problem with zip ties melting. for cable management if zip ties dont work for you try these http://ergogrips.net/shop/ergo-5-slot-lowpro-wire-loom-rail-covers/ i love mine
View Quote
I'm not sure if it is "over"engineered.  I have used a lot of SR07/05 or whatever and they do work fine and I have never had a zip tie melt on me either.  The reason I like this thing is because if you already have an ST07 laying around, it costs about the same or less than the SR07 and with the SR07, you have to use the zip ties and some type of rail cover wire control and it just starts feeling kinda like you are sticking a lot of random shit on your rifle for a simple issue.  So what I like about the Cloud Defense thing is that it is a more compact package, it is more secure, you don't need zip ties or extra rail panels, and it costs the same or less.  What you give up is that constant on feature.  I think it is a good option to have.

Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if it is "over"engineered.  I have used a lot of SR07/05 or whatever and they do work fine and I have never had a zip tie melt on me either.  The reason I like this thing is because if you already have an ST07 laying around, it costs about the same or less than the SR07 and with the SR07, you have to use the zip ties and some type of rail cover wire control and it just starts feeling kinda like you are sticking a lot of random shit on your rifle for a simple issue.  So what I like about the Cloud Defense thing is that it is a more compact package, it is more secure, you don't need zip ties or extra rail panels, and it costs the same or less.  What you give up is that constant on feature.  I think it is a good option to have.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/thornejc23/CD%20tape%20switch_zps1moyqpgn.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/thornejc23/CD%20tape%20switch_zps1moyqpgn.png
Need more pics of this rifle
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top