Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/22/2017 10:36:40 PM EDT
What's the best way to affix this pressure pad to the rail in this position?  Surefire makes a pad with a shorter cable, right?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What's the best way to affix this pressure pad to the rail in this position?  Surefire makes a pad with a shorter cable, right?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129600/IMG-0327-171868.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129600/IMG-0326-171869.JPG
View Quote

http://ergogrips.net/shop/ergo-tactical-light-switch-mount/
Or
https://clouddefensive.com/collections/the-light-control-system-lcs-series/products/gen2-lcsmk1-in-line-picatinny-for-surefire-st07

Mount it on top (12 o'clock) and it will be ambidextrous. I find the only real reason not to mount it @12 is if you have an IR laser up there.

The Cloud defensive is more expensive, but it routes the excess cable for you and will definitely fit your pressure switch. I'm not so sure the ergo will fit (but at under $20, you could file/dremel it to fit your needs without feeling like you're burning cash just because.

ETA: I dig the URX 3.1. Is that a KAC Upper or AAC or?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Velcro.

Surefire makes pads with shorter cables, but you'll pay a good chunk ordering one unless you miraculously find one of the short ones used (most factory lights come with a 7" cable, IIRC, Surefire makes them down to 3 in 1" intervals to 7, at least).  

If you do order one, I'd go ahead and order an SR version, and shave down the rail grabbers so it's the same general width as the non-rail mount switches.  

Personally, I'm not a fan of switches at the 12 o'clock, but that's a matter of personal preference and grip-style.

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Mac25 - Yes, it is the KAC 11.5" Upper.  The rail length puts everything at sort of an awkward position as far as my natural hand placement goes.  Tucking it into the rail at the pictured 45* angle puts the pad where my hand would naturally fall where as I would have to move my hand back to engage at the 12 postion due to the buis.  I'll take a look at the links your provided, thanks.

Augee-  I have the velcro that came with the switches, do you think it would hold up being directly attached to the rail?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#4]
If you like it at that angle, use the Velcro, be sure to degrease and clean the spot you'll be putting the Velcro on.

Love that upper!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Am I the only one who actually wondered if this was a legitimate post when I first saw it?
Or is my mind just "in the gutter"?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am I the only one who actually wondered if this was a legitimate post when I first saw it?
View Quote
Attractive thread titles are attractive.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Augee-  I have the velcro that came with the switches, do you think it would hold up being directly attached to the rail?
View Quote
Like lilMAC25 said, just make sure you clean/degrease the surface well, and try not to get any fingerprint oils on the adhesive, and it should stick fairly well.  Leave it alone for a while if possible as well, to allow the adhesive to "set."  

It won't be permanent, but it will last for a decent amount of time--Velcro's not hard to get a hold of, just make sure you degrease, and you place it once--too much moving it around and/or removing and attaching the switch will wear out the adhesive.  When it starts wearing out, just replace it.  You can use small zip ties or other purpose-built wire management devices (e.g., Manta rail covers or Ergo wire looms) to keep the extra cord out of the way, and it will help your Velcro last longer, as it will prevent too much extraneous movement.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I use trip wire and put it right there, same as you have it.  

If you dont have any, go to either WalMart, or HobbyLobby, and pick up a spool of floral / flower wire.  It's green coated.  

Floral Wire
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to go over to the Pro car shop and use their safety wire and plyers or if down at my brother's hangar, his.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use trip wire and put it right there, same as you have it.  

If you dont have any, go to either WalMart, or HobbyLobby, and pick up a spool of floral / flower wire.  It's green coated.  

Floral Wire
View Quote
Have any pics of your setup?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Zip tie wrapped around the handguard in the picatinny slots.  It's easy and won't fall off like Velcro has a tendency of doing.  Let me see if I have a pic.

ETA:  Like this.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stuffed Above the fireplace?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I like to route cable with index clips.
http://www.larue.com/indexclips-72-piece-set
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I had to do a re-look when I read the title.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I finally figured it out.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top