Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2017 5:50:35 PM EDT
Next question.
How many of you mounted a rail, to mount a mount, to mount a light?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Direct-mounted like this?

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Why?  There are so many low-pro direct options now?

I went with Arisaka for my Scout to MLok interface.  Tucks into the 11 o'clock on my GA Mk4 like it's custom made.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
That is one application. No mount necessary. Not necessarily my meaning, but it does work well!

Quoted:
Why?  There are so many low-pro direct options now?

I went with Arisaka for my Scout to MLok interface.  Tucks into the 11 o'clock on my GA Mk4 like it's custom made.

Having to mount a light to a mount, is not direct mount.
Mounting the light to the hand guard with an adapter has become old. Lights themselves need to be tooled to eliminate the added bulk, attach points, and expense.
The SF M600/M300, Streamlight RM1/RM2 can be hard mounted direct. Lights could easily be made and adapted for right-side/left-side options.

Proprietary mounting options leave all the consumers at that one manufactures whim. IMO, this can be over come by setting a standard just like keymod & Mlock
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:39:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is one application. No mount necessary. Not necessarily my meaning, but it does work well!

Having to mount a light to a mount, is not direct mount.
Mounting the light to the hand guard with an adapter has become old. Lights themselves need to be tooled to eliminate the added bulk, attach points, and expense.
The SF M600/M300, Streamlight RM1/RM2 can be hard mounted direct. Lights could easily be made and adapted for right-side/left-side options.

Proprietary mounting options leave all the consumers at that one manufactures whim. IMO, this can be over come by setting a standard just like keymod & Mlock
View Quote
I'm not following.  It sounds like your asking if we do something that doesn't exist as an option.  What rail system allows you to bolt a Scout directly to it?  I assumed you were referring to some kind of screw-in or modular rail system using a matching mount, cause Pic rail direct mount is bulky and nothing new. Then you mention MLok and dickmod, but those require bolt head access making a unibody light interface problematic and restrictive, and as far as I'm aware currently unavailable.  The Arisaka is light and clean as hell.  You seemed to be contrasting against bolting a rail section to a modular system then using a rail mount with a light attached to the mount, which does indeed defeat the purpose of a modular "direct" mount, as I would define it, to a great degree.

Soooo, huh?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]
It's hard to do with a scout light if you don't want to modify the rail. I screwed a M951 on a RAS easily, however.

Quoted:
I'm not following.  It sounds like your asking if we do something that doesn't exist as an option.  What rail system allows you to bolt a Scout directly to it?  I assumed you were referring to some kind of screw-in or modular rail system using a matching mount, cause Pic rail direct mount is bulky and nothing new. Then you mention MLok and dickmod, but those require bolt head access making a unibody light interface problematic and restrictive, and as far as I'm aware currently unavailable.  The Arisaka is light and clean as hell.  You seemed to be contrasting against bolting a rail section to a modular system then using a rail mount with a light attached to the mount, which does indeed defeat the purpose of a modular "direct" mount, as I would define it, to a great degree.

Soooo, huh?
View Quote

He just wants to bolt the light directly to the rail. There's nothing complicated about it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a pic stolen from @Augee  from this thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_20/180898_Pics_of_your_lights_mounted.html&page=39

I agree with a post above. There are so many low profile mounting options for lights at every different position direct mount is not necessary. Even more so with Mlok and keymod.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's hard to do with a scout light if you don't want to modify the rail. I screwed a M951 on a RAS easily, however.

He just wants to bolt the light directly to the rail. There's nothing complicated about it.
View Quote
I always like that option. Augee went the same direction.
Some hand guards make it difficult or impossible without mods to the light base itself, and some get a raised brow. But there's almost always a way.
The question, of mounting a rail, to mount a mount, to mount a light was more in search of how some did it, and if they were left scratching their head.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]
If the rifle has a rail, the light is mounted to a rail, if there's no rail there, then I mount a section of rail for the light to mount to.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I always like that option. Augee went the same direction.
Some hand guards make it difficult or impossible without mods to the light base itself, and some get a raised brow. But there's almost always a way.
The question, of mounting a rail, to mount a mount, to mount a light was more in search of how some did it, and if they were left scratching their head.
View Quote

What rail are you trying to attach it to?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#10]
That's something I remedied long ago.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got a ProTac Rail mount 2 and mounted it with a IWC SMC Scout light mount ... pretty clean setup
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have any quad rails, so I direct mount lights on all of my guns.  So much better that way IMO.  I hate the idea of putting a rail section on a modular rail then a mount.  usually ends up with the light in an awkward spot to hit the tail cap.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a lot of LaRue quads and I am switching over to m600s as I get my hands on them. I'm interested to know if I could directly mount one at the 10 o'clock position.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:52:19 AM EDT
[#15]
One of the reason I like the streamlight tlr series so much is I don't need a mount, or rail section

I hate that Surfire's  needs a fancy mount it is more weight & cost. it also can - not always- but can hurt streamlining which is important to me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:13:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I figured out a decent way to directly mount Surefire scouts to a Larue quad rail. First time trying to dm a light andnit seems to work well. Should i take a few pictures?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Magpul Scout Mount + Streamlight TLR-1 for the win!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't run a a TLR because it is too fragile. Those that have them at my PD eventually end up having to get replacement parts to get them back into service. Usually a rear door hinge or lever. Never needed a replacement part for a Surefire, outside a DG switch I bought used.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I came across these. not as cheap as screws and washers from the hardware store, but still a good option.

http://www.wayofthegun.us/plm-d-proctor-light-mount-direct-fits-surefire-scout-light-and-streamlight-rail-mount-light/
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is a pic stolen from @Augee  from this thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_20/180898_Pics_of_your_lights_mounted.html&page=39

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/169C0621-C0E2-4413-8291-47471EEF1B9D_zpsvhm6fph6.jpg

I agree with a post above. There are so many low profile mounting options for lights at every different position direct mount is not necessary. Even more so with Mlok and keymod.
View Quote
Light mounting: perfect
Vert grip mounting: WTF?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Light mounting: perfect
Vert grip mounting: WTF?
View Quote
Do you even delta bro??

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Surefires in a Weaver ring, on the rails.

All I do.Easy/effective.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I can't fathom how OP is using the term "direct mount".  Mounting involves many variables in light, mount and rail/hand guard/or FSB design.

I have a short rail behind a fixed FSB on my HD carbine.. I'm running the Streamlight Pro Tac RM-1, but use it with a Hailey Strategic Thorntail Scout mount rather than its own Picatinny base, to move it forward to reduce barrel shadow.  Note:  The RM-1 system uses two screw to attach the light to its Picatinny base.  So, I guess it is not "direct mount".  If it didn't have those two screws, it could not be moved to the extended Thorntail Scout mount.  I'm glad it is not direct mount.

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:I can't fathom how OP is using the term "direct mount".  Mounting involves many variables in light, mount and rail/hand guard/or FSB design.

I have a short rail behind a fixed FSB on my HD carbine.. I'm running the Streamlight Pro Tac RM-1, but use it with a Hailey Strategic Thorntail Scout mount rather than its own Picatinny base, to move it forward to reduce barrel shadow.  Note:  The RM-1 system uses two screw to attach the light to its Picatinny base.  So, I guess it is not "direct mount".  If it didn't have those two screws, it could not be moved to the extended Thorntail Scout mount.  I'm glad it is not direct mount.
View Quote
I'm not terribly sure what is so difficult to understand about "direct mount," it means mounting the light without the use of any other adapters, to include offset mounts, rails and rail sections, thumbscrews, etc.,--the light is directly mounted to the handguard.  

Direct mounting is not the only way to go, nor will it work with all handguards, lights, or setups, it's just another method of mounting the light that in some instances can provide for an extremely low-profile mounting solution, nothing wrong with the use of adapters--and with your particular setup, probably a good bet.  Since it is my rifle in question that's being used as the example photograph, with that configuration, the direct mount solution works extremely well to tuck the light up onto the handguard, and mesh beautifully with the ATPIAL--however, that particular configuration works especially well because of the deeper profile of the HK416's handguard as compared to a standard AR.  

Direct mounted, it adds very little width to the weapon--any adapter or mount would only make it less low-profile as compared to simple direct mounting.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#25]
The S&S Precision IFM is about as direct mount as you can get with a Scout and M1913. SureFire probably could make their lights fit M-LOK, but then none of the mounts already out there would fit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Augee
Your last reply,
+1.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I really like this setup as the right side has my sling, left side has my light and the way I use a vert leads my thumb to be right on the ass of the light. I'm a fan and it feels natural

Attachment Attached File

Edit. Disregard the ak. It was a family photo but the only one recent with the light on the ar
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm not terribly sure what is so difficult to understand about "direct mount," it means mounting the light without the use of any other adapters, to include offset mounts, rails and rail sections, thumbscrews, etc.,--the light is directly mounted to the handguard.  

Direct mounting is not the only way to go, nor will it work with all handguards, lights, or setups, it's just another method of mounting the light that in some instances can provide for an extremely low-profile mounting solution, nothing wrong with the use of adapters--and with your particular setup, probably a good bet.  Since it is my rifle in question that's being used as the example photograph, with that configuration, the direct mount solution works extremely well to tuck the light up onto the handguard, and mesh beautifully with the ATPIAL--however, that particular configuration works especially well because of the deeper profile of the HK416's handguard as compared to a standard AR.  

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/91053AAD-1DCE-4E1A-9B3A-C9BC5E354EEE_zpsxngujims.jpg

Direct mounted, it adds very little width to the weapon--any adapter or mount would only make it less low-profile as compared to simple direct mounting.  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I can't fathom how OP is using the term "direct mount".  Mounting involves many variables in light, mount and rail/hand guard/or FSB design.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/91053AAD-1DCE-4E1A-9B3A-C9BC5E354EEE_zpsxngujims.jpg

~Augee
Thank you.  Works perfect for you on the extended rail.  Very slim.  Regrettably, those of us with short carbine rails behind a FSB don't have that option.  It seemed that OP was suggesting that everyone do this.  Some of us can't with certain rifles.  But, the Thorntail does 45 degree the light against the side of the barrel keeping the profile narrow.

I have another AR, a precision build, with a long rail with 45 degree offset slots that the direct mount method you have used would work.  But I have an offset mini reflex sight and the light would block it.  Maybe put the light on the left side?

There are just too many variables for the elegant solution you chose to be applied universally or even widely, I'm afraid.  OP's post implied it was suboptimal to use adapters.  Some, many, maybe most of us must.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#29]
pffft, my gun IS my light...

Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Direct mount is, generally speaking, a bad idea. It usually is a weak connection or in a bad spot ergonomically.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You might gave a point on ergos.

However, direct mounting results in fewer failure points.

What's stronger? Light to rail? Or light to mount to rail to handguard?

In the first case you have 2 screws that could fail. In the second there could be 6 screws that could fail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Direct mount is, generally speaking, a bad idea. It usually is a weak connection or in a bad spot ergonomically.
You might gave a point on ergos.

However, direct mounting results in fewer failure points.

What's stronger? Light to rail? Or light to mount to rail to handguard?

In the first case you have 2 screws that could fail. In the second there could be 6 screws that could fail.
Directing mounting doesn't work for everyone or every light or every rail, as I've already said.  In fact, it pretty much works best with HK416s, and as such, it's become a "cool guy" thing, I guess--because it's common on some 416s and has been for a while...

It is also a lot more convenient with 416 rails because they're designed to come off for maintenance, so it's not hard to yank the rail and stick a screwdriver through the holes.  

That being said, not sure where the assertion of "weak connection" is coming from.

Ergonomically... ::shrug:: I know the popular affectation on these forums is to hate on remote switches.  Some of this comes from older guys with experience that came up on old-school permanently installed remotes and tape switches that looked like they were made of inner tube squished flat, and heat sealed at the ends, and/or used the old square PAQ-4C button switches that had something like a 24" cord coming out of them.  For most guys from what I can tell, though, it's an affectation based on said older guys that have ten-fifteen-twenty year old experience with stuff and have passed it on.  

Remote switches like much else in the market have come a long way since the late-90s, early-2000s, either way, if you don't like them out of a matter of personal preference, it is what it is... but I can put my light where ever I want to without being hamstrung by "oh noes, can't reach."  

~Augee
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top