Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2017 3:06:43 PM EDT
I'm actually thinking about one for my carbine.  But any thoughts and opinions are welcomed.  MrGunsnGear seems to like them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Near as I could tell they seem to be ok for what they are.  I was going to get one for my Sig P320, until I realized they take a CR2, rather than a CR123, at which point I went with an Inforce APL, instead.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't tried one yet, but I just recently bought and mounted a TLR-2 HL G on my Spikes Compressor. Here is my review of the TLR-2 HL G

"If that TLR-2 HL G looks good to anyone, fuggedaboudit. POS. Having to REMOVE a laser just to change the battery is so... 1990's. The adjustments for the laser are sloppy loose, and really coarse. And it doesn't hold the zero worth a damn. The little Crimson Trace CMR-206 I have on my VP9 winter carry is WAY better quality, and the battery comes out from the bottom, like it should. The Viridian X5L on my USP .40 is also MUCH MUCH better than the crappy, gaudy streamlight. NOT recommended."

If all you are buying it for is the light, then you will like the ergo's, and having to take it off to change the battery (unless the 3 is redesigned) won't be a problem for you. But if you expect to use the laser with any precision...  fuggedaboutit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, it's just a light.  And you change the battery by unscrewing the bezel / light.   Like a normal, old school flashlight.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I like mine.

Killed the first one with 12ga slugs. Replaced for free. It's not designed for heavy recoil though.

Second one has about 4k 9mm through it, no problems. Change the battery every couple months.

I do hate the cr2, but the tlr3 is otherwise great, especially for the money.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
They're a bit under powered, not so common battery and are OK for home use. You'd be better off with a TLR-1
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot up to 15 yards against a cardboard at night, much less ambient light than you'd find in the walmart parking lot or city street. It lit the target up quite well. I was still able to see my night sights (year and a half old mepro).

It spots mine and the wife's vision at 7 yards in the house with the lights on. At less than 5 yards it will kill your vision in the dark if you spot a white wall.

Plenty powerful.

I'd save the tlr1/2 for long guns where you'd expect to reach out much further.

Still hate the battery, but it's not a deal breaker to me.

Finding holsters is going to be a real PITA, but it was worth it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're a bit under powered, not so common battery and are OK for home use. You'd be better off with a TLR-1
View Quote

My main reason is for HD.   And I guess SHTF.  But mostly for use at close range, indoors.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#8]
They're the cheapest light that I think is "acceptable" for HD type use.  If they break it's almost always when mounting so if you have it on it's probably going to work when you need it.   But..... the mounting system is the weak spot of the light.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#9]
MrGunsngear has spoken!

The only thing I miss about having Facebook is all the money I spent on guns and gear when you posted deals. Haha.

My vote is for the TLR-1 for an extra $10-25.

Amazon had TLR-1 shipped for ~$85 a little while back.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
MrGunsngear has spoken!

The only thing I miss about having Facebook is all the money I spent on guns and gear when you posted deals. Haha.

My vote is for the TLR-1 for an extra $10-25.

Amazon had TLR-1 shipped for ~$85 a little while back.
View Quote

Agreed.  But, some people are cool with chancing their lives for $10-25 from what I've learned running the channel...
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#11]
No I would gladly pay the extra money.  And maybe that's the route I should go.  I have this issue, my 2 go to carbines are HBAR's.  I know, that was dumb.  But it's what I have currently.  And things start to get heavy out front so I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with that.  I may end up getting a skinny barrel sooner than later.  I just want a good HD / SHTF.  When I bought my AR's, I was more geared towards shooting distance.  And actually, when I bought my M4gery, a skinny barrel wasn't really a common thing.  So much.   Unless you got a 6920.   Which I should have done.

So I have a Recce with a DD quad rail and an RRA M4gery.  They're both very accurate.  But whenever I try to load up my recce with my BUIS and a light, my right wrist starts to take a hit when practicing reloads. (getting old)  It's just so danged front heavy.  I know, waa waa hit the gym, etc.    The M4gery is only slightly better.  The upper weighs about 3 ounces less if I have my LMT fixed front on the recce.  And the little bit of length makes it feel lighter too.  Or it's just that 3 ounces.  

Anyways.....  It's all about the weight for me.  But I think I need to think seriously about a 16" mid LW with a light rail.  But it just seems like I should be able to make one of the ones I have work.......

The reviews on Midway usa had complaint of the mount breaking.  I just wasn't sure if it was a fluke or not.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But whenever I try to load up my recce with my BUIS and a light, my right wrist starts to take a hit when practicing reloads. (getting old)  It's just so danged front heavy.  I know, waa waa hit the gym, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But whenever I try to load up my recce with my BUIS and a light, my right wrist starts to take a hit when practicing reloads. (getting old)  It's just so danged front heavy.  I know, waa waa hit the gym, etc.

You don't need to go to the gym to strengthen your hands, wrists and forearms.  A hand grip exerciser and either a Marcy Wedge, a dumbbell or a dowel rod + string + weight will take care of that.

Quoted:
The reviews on Midway usa had complaint of the mount breaking.  I just wasn't sure if it was a fluke or not.

On the TLR-3?  Early ones had that problem.  Streamlight allegedly fixed the problem and, I believe, they replaced the ones that broke.

Did you look at the Inforce WML?  That's what I have on my AR.  I like it.  Make sure to get a Gen. 2 or later, though.  Earlier ones were too fragile.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I just have been noticing the Inforce.  Plus you can get the Haley Strategic one for even less money than the factory one.  But I guess there are some differences.  Like the Haley is only momentary on.  They make a point to say that in all the vids.  So I'm assuming the factory Inforce one has got some kind of button that stays on.  I'm not sure what I think about that......  If it's a button that has momentary on AND a click to leave on, I kind of like that set up.  I think in a home defense scenario, once you start shooting you'd want to keep it on.  

I guess shooting and moving would be good to turn it off.   I guess if there were multiple invaders in your home.....    

I think the inforce WML is only 3 ounces.  I'm not sure if there is a difference in weight on the Haley ones.  That does seem pretty light for that much light output.  Seems like a good light and I'm thinking about one of them.  

I kind of like the idea of a TLR-1 or 3 due to the fact that if I ever wanted it to go on a pistol, I'd have that option.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I'm assuming the factory Inforce one has got some kind of button that stays on.  I'm not sure what I think about that......  If it's a button that has momentary on AND a click to leave on, ...
View Quote

The Inforce APL has identical paddle switches port and starboard.  They each behave the same way: Momentary press for on/off, long press for momentary on.

The Inforce WML's single switch works similarly, by default, except a quick double-press will set it to strobing.  There's a lever switch that locks-out constant on and strobe.  It also has a bail that can be flipped over the switch to prevent accidental activation.

The WML is 400 lumens, whereas the APL is 200.

I have both.  I can't see the APL serving well on a rifle, nor the WML on a pistol at all.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Haven't tried one yet, but I just recently bought and mounted a TLR-2 HL G on my Spikes Compressor. Here is my review of the TLR-2 HL G

"If that TLR-2 HL G looks good to anyone, fuggedaboudit. POS. Having to REMOVE a laser just to change the battery is so... 1990's. The adjustments for the laser are sloppy loose, and really coarse. And it doesn't hold the zero worth a damn. The little Crimson Trace CMR-206 I have on my VP9 winter carry is WAY better quality, and the battery comes out from the bottom, like it should. The Viridian X5L on my USP .40 is also MUCH MUCH better than the crappy, gaudy streamlight. NOT recommended."

If all you are buying it for is the light, then you will like the ergo's, and having to take it off to change the battery (unless the 3 is redesigned) won't be a problem for you. But if you expect to use the laser with any precision...  fuggedaboutit.
View Quote

this is some ridiculously stupid stuff.  
first This thread is about the TLR3
2nd comparing a unit that has  only a  laser =Crimson Trace CMR-206   to a light/laser combo is stupid. The Viridian X5L offers 160 lumens, the tlrHL2G offers 800lumens and a far better quality laser It is like comparing a
kia car  to a Dodge Ram.

OP the TLR-3 is a nice piece of kit if you have a compact or subcompact & believe you need a light. I grabbed on off the EE for $50 it now sits on my PS90 it is very nice for indoor close use as it is not too bright like the tlr hl.

personlly I would rather make sure U have good night sights on my CARRY GUN  over a light.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm pretty sure the Haley Strategic one is only 200 lumens...

haleystrategicwml
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

this is some ridiculously stupid stuff.  
first This thread is about the TLR3
2nd comparing a unit that has  only a  laser =Crimson Trace CMR-206   to a light/laser combo is stupid. The Viridian X5L offers 160 lumens, the tlrHL2G offers 800lumens and a far better quality laser It is like comparing a
kia car  to a Dodge Ram.

OP the TLR-3 is a nice piece of kit if you have a compact or subcompact & believe you need a light. I grabbed on off the EE for $50 it now sits on my PS90 it is very nice for indoor close use as it is not too bright like the tlr hl.

personlly I would rather make sure U have good night sights on my CARRY GUN  over a light.
View Quote

OK, now you've got me confused.  I did say in my original post I was thinking about this for my carbine.  And yes, I did say I like the idea of a TLR-1 or 3 over a dedicated carbine light, in case I want to mount it to a handgun.  

I'm not quite sure if you are recommending to only have night sights on a handgun and no light, or do you mean because you would probably use a handheld light with your handgun and then the night sights would help in that case.  I get that.  My set up now is a handheld light and whatever handgun I have loaded in the drawer.  Mostly my carry gun.  Whichever it is.  However, I'm trying to set myself up in a little bit better system.

Most of my house is tight, but I do have a hallway into the living room that could be a potential 12-13 yard shot.  Under stress, one handed, with a pistol, is a bit long and a carbine would do a better job.  I think.   The other problem is I don't think the carbine is always the right answer, but it is for some......

I'm still unsure as to what to do.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:snip... I'm still unsure as to what to do.
View Quote

The tlr3 will do what you want. I assure you that it is plenty bright and tough for a 5.56 carbine at the distance you plan to use it. Now if you try to take it out to 100yds, you'll be disappointed.

As discussed, the stupid cr2 battery is an inconvenience, but it works!

I think it is a bit large for my g19 in terms of length. It adds about 1/2" OAL to the gun. So it would fit perfect on a fullsize. Yes, after about 250 rds the lens gets some powder on it. Wipe that junk off with a clean cloth and you're good to go.

The paddle switch is completely usable on all sides, whichever way you prefer to mount it.

General points from the edging off topic discussion... put a damn light on your stupid pistol! It has a rail for a reason! Don't treat it as a primary light, pocket carry a handheld. Treat it as a force multiplier. Granted some carry situations will require you to go with a less than ideal loadout, but for the average everyday, theres no reason not to have it. Also, put night sights on you gun. They may not always be visible, but they are sure as hell cheap insurance. I've already said that you can see night sights even with a tlr3 on (in confined spaces it doesn't work as well, but in more open areas, rooms, big hallway, it's good). The $200 for a decent light and night sights, with an expected lifespan of even just 2 years (uber conservative!), is $100/yr insurance that I don't end up dead because my handheld light fell out of my pocket and the lighting wasn't right for me to see my sights. I call that CHEAP! They'll probably last 5+ years though, so it's even cheaper.

See my point?

OP, brother, you won't go wrong with a tlr3.

ETA: the glorious thing about a wml, is that you don't have to use it, but you also don't have to use a hand held. You have options now! No matter what wml you end up with, it would still be good practice to have a handheld available whether you're out and about or sleeping in bed. I just slip my handheld in my back pocket and it stays there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered an Inforce APL from Primary Arms.  I figured I'd give it a try.  It's only a 1/2 ounce heavier than the TLR-3.  Plus it uses a CR123 and I have those on hand for my Surefire Z2.    

I have no clue if it was a smart move or not but I watched a few vids (one was yours Mrgunsngear) and I liked the features.  The clincher was when I went on Primary Arms they had an FDE one on sale for 88 dollars.  I actually wanted to keep everything black on this gun, but I never get what I want anyways.  And the cheaper price mitigated the color desire.  LOL.

I went on there to order the TLR-3 though.    But I'll be honest, I'm a little irked at Streamlight.  I got a little ProTac AA model that I liked a lot.  But then I tried to mount it to my carbine and I guess the fact that pressure was put on the body from my 1" scope ring (I wrapped some tape around it and used my surfefire rubber grommets), it is now erratic in lighting up. Going dim and such.   And every once in a while cutting out completely.   I guess I need to contact Streamlight.  I'm not sure if I will have voided the warranty by putting it in a scope ring.  Probably.....  
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I ordered an Inforce APL from Primary Arms. ...

I have no clue if it was a smart move or not but I watched a few vids (one was yours Mrgunsngear) and I liked the features.  The clincher was when I went on Primary Arms they had an FDE one on sale for 88 dollars.  I actually wanted to keep everything black on this gun, ...
View Quote

Wow!  I guess I caught them at the right time.

I searched on the APL.  PA's deal on the FDE one showed up.  "Hmmm..." I wondered.  Put "Inforce APL" into their search and they had the black one for the same price.  Snagged it.

Now the black one is up to $125 and is out of stock.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wow!  I guess I caught them at the right time.

I searched on the APL.  PA's deal on the FDE one showed up.  "Hmmm..." I wondered.  Put "Inforce APL" into their search and they had the black one for the same price.  Snagged it.

Now the black one is up to $125 and is out of stock.
View Quote

That's weird.  I didn't see a black one at that price when I was on.  LOL.  Oh well.  I don't really mind.   Just have to complain about something.  I'll probably like the FDE better than black.  It's just I was trying to keep that particular rifle all black.  LOL.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

OK, now you've got me confused.  I did say in my original post I was thinking about this for my carbine.  And yes, I did say I like the idea of a TLR-1 or 3 over a dedicated carbine light, in case I want to mount it to a handgun.  

I'm not quite sure if you are recommending to only have night sights on a handgun and no light, or do you mean because you would probably use a handheld light with your handgun and then the night sights would help in that case.  I get that.  My set up now is a handheld light and whatever handgun I have loaded in the drawer.  Mostly my carry gun.  Whichever it is.  However, I'm trying to set myself up in a little bit better system.

Most of my house is tight, but I do have a hallway into the living room that could be a potential 12-13 yard shot.  Under stress, one handed, with a pistol, is a bit long and a carbine would do a better job.  I think.   The other problem is I don't think the carbine is always the right answer, but it is for some......

I'm still unsure as to what to do.
View Quote

yes a tlr-3 will work as an indoor carbine light- I have a tlr-3 on my ps90. it works well indoors.I just wish the landings on the paddel switch on all the streamlights' series were larger.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]
After I read your post a few times, I understood it.  I don't know why I didn't get your point that first time I responded.  Maybe I was confused about what a PS-90 is.  I think that's that little FN carbine with the 5.7 rounds that go sideways in the mag, right?  Or something like that.  Hang on, I'll google.....

https://fn57sale.com/product/ps90/

OK, I got it now....

You see I got a inforce APL, eh?  We'll see how I like it.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top