Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2017 4:04:31 PM EDT
To me, screams WML. Why has Nitcore not designed a true WML? This sounds like a great option for people in wide spaces.

The Nitecore P12GT has recently became an interest of mine as a WML of sort. My lure? It has a narrow beam, and an amazing 400+yds of throw.

Thoughts or other suggestions welcome.
Please stay in the below criteria range.
(2x/cr123/18650)

I see the above mentioned, a contender to the Streamlight ProTac HL-X. Maybe

More reading material below.
2017 Best Throw Flashlight Review (s)
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
This is surprising. No comments?
Does this mean no one here has tried this little gem?
Someone, anyone, no first hand comment? I'm stymied
I may just have to take the plunge myself
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one that I use handheld. Works great. I know Nitecore advertises that it can be weapon mounted.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Never used one of these. However, looking at it I wouldn't pass it up as a WML. They're using a Cree XP-L HI LED which is an XM-L2 die in an XP-G2 sized package. Being an HI rather than HD, it is de-domed. Both the large die/small package characteristic and de-doming of the XP-L makes it the LED of choice for small throwers. It makes a nice tight hotspot out to farther distance than the other Cree LEDs. Couple that with a decent reflector to concentrate LED spill into a uniform spill in the beam and you've got a really good thrower. The only problem I see with the P12GT is the claim of a 320m range. I am sure it'll shine that far, but a tight beam isn't going to go quite that far with such a small reflector, however it is a SMO so it will definitely have some distance.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one that I use handheld. Works great. I know Nitecore advertises that it can be weapon mounted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Tight to the hand guard w/battery access is what I want. The Nitecore mount is generic at best.

Quoted:
Never used one of these. However, looking at it I wouldn't pass it up as a WML. They're using a
Cree XP-L HI LED which is an XM-L2 die in an XP-G2 sized package. Being
an HI rather than HD, it is de-domed. Both the large die/small package
characteristic and de-doming of the XP-L makes it the LED of choice for
small throwers. It makes a nice tight hotspot out to farther distance
than the other Cree LEDs. Couple that with a decent reflector to
concentrate LED spill into a uniform spill in the beam and you've got a
really good thrower. The only problem I see with the P12GT is the claim
of a 320m range. I am sure it'll shine that far, but a tight beam isn't
going to go quite that far with such a small reflector, however it is a
SMO so it will definitely have some distance.
Since my posting about the NC P12GT, I've done a bit more research on EDC/Tactical flashlights. I'm wanting something effective for long range.
My research has proven positive, mostly, but some manufacturers do not tell all the necessary numbers. That led to a lot of messing around to get candela on some.

My goal is to find the light with the deepest smooth reflector, highest candela LED optimized @highest output/duration.
This, along with NOT exceeding two CR123/ one 18650's, and the smallest bezel diameter for mount-ability on my rifle.
Weight is also a factor.

I know I said a mouthful. I just want the best bang for the buck.
Also, SHOT 2017 has a LOT of prototypes coming. I wish they were already released so they could get factored in, into my research.

You sound as if you've been down the path I'm now traveling. Given that, any input/guidance you can share with me, is a plus.

Thanks for an informational response.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Another one I was looking at. I just picked up a Klarus XT12GT for $62/shipped
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:51:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tight to the hand guard w/battery access is what I want. The Nitecore mount is generic at best.

Since my posting about the NC P12GT, I've done a bit more research on EDC/Tactical flashlights. I'm wanting something effective for long range.
My research has proven positive, mostly, but some manufacturers do not tell all the necessary numbers. That led to a lot of messing around to get candela on some.

My goal is to find the light with the deepest smooth reflector, highest candela LED optimized @highest output/duration.
This, along with NOT exceeding two CR123/ one 18650's, and the smallest bezel diameter for mount-ability on my rifle.
Weight is also a factor.

Also, SHOT 2017 has a LOT of prototypes coming. I wish they were already released so they could get factored in, into my research.

You sound as if you've been down the path I'm now traveling. Given that, any input/guidance you can share with me, is a plus.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Never used one of these. However, looking at it I wouldn't pass it up as a WML. They're using a
Cree XP-L HI LED which is an XM-L2 die in an XP-G2 sized package. Being
an HI rather than HD, it is de-domed. Both the large die/small package
characteristic and de-doming of the XP-L makes it the LED of choice for
small throwers. It makes a nice tight hotspot out to farther distance
than the other Cree LEDs. Couple that with a decent reflector to
concentrate LED spill into a uniform spill in the beam and you've got a
really good thrower. The only problem I see with the P12GT is the claim
of a 320m range. I am sure it'll shine that far, but a tight beam isn't
going to go quite that far with such a small reflector, however it is a
SMO so it will definitely have some distance.

Weight is also a factor.

No problem mang. I build flashlights as a job so....I have a wealth of information to share with everyone here provided it's within scope of what I can answer without treading on other company's trademarks and such.
For the sake of more information regarding handheld and weapon mount flashlights, I am going to drop the link for my webpage so you can soak in some knowledge. If yall need any good info on lights, please PM me or something! Hope it helps!
Zulu Foxtrot Flashlights <- my webpage
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top