Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2017 9:24:39 PM EDT
Anyone running a Streamlight TLR-1 HL on a rifle?  Love my TLR1 on a pistol but seeing what the hive is doing on rifles for HD use.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I run HL lights on a bunch of my rifles, but not on any that are my "inside the house" rifles.  We have white/off white walls and if I hit them with the 800 lumen model, it is REALLY freakin' bright.
I have early (600 lumen) HL lights and regular TLR lights on those rifles and pistols.

For outdoors, the 800 lumen HL lights are fantastic, I have shot at night with them and they have done well for me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.  You use the pigtail for weapons or the regular toggle like on the pistol?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
On my rifle I run it at the 10:00 position on the rail and it works okay for me. On the pistol I didn't like the 12:00 position but the 6:00 position is fine. I only have the one TLR light. I'm going to get another weapon light, probably a WML next. I think I will like the WML on the rifle at the 9:00 position.

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool.  You use the pigtail for weapons or the regular toggle like on the pistol?
View Quote

I use regular toggle on all of them.
Have some setup at 12 o clock, others at 9 - I think I am partial for 12 o clock position.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thinking a 1-130 position is going to be my sweet spot. Got a round MLok rail.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 4:21:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I have mine mounted on a Midwest Industries G3 MLOK handguard at the 45° with a Magpul cantilever light mount. Very pleased with this setup.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I see them more as a pistol light, not in output, but frame.  Looks like others use it differently.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Magpul Scout Mount with a "regular" TLR is what you seek.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Love them and have several.  Six O'clock and momentary activate with support hand index finger.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Have one at 12 o'clock on AR carbine. Have the remote but didn't realize before hand it's a hold only and go switch. Went back to the basic flip switch. Have the red flip filter. I have light flat tan walls and have no issues with reflectivity. Light is acceptable but nothing special for my purposes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, love them on carbines in the 12 o'clock position, all the way forward, with BUIS mounted just behind. Still enough room to clear the sights, totally ambidextrous, any barrel shadow will be at the bottom of your view which the rifle blocks anyway, and a very natural / comfortable position which requires no grip alteration other than moving my thumb for light activation. They also tend to snag gear / other crap less being on the top than hanging lights off the side in my experience... really makes a nice slim-line unobtrusive setup.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#12]
How is the throw?  Lumen count is nice but does it get out to 150+ yards?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Streamlight says: "Range of Light / Distance = 245 meters"

But what does that mean in practical use? Not much probably... I can just about guarantee you are not going to get target ID at 245 meters in total darkness with one. Even 150 in total darkness is probably a stretch... you could probably identify there is someone there but actually being able to ID a weapon etc, good luck. Anecdotally I would say probably more like 100 yards for real target ID ability which is great in my opinion. You could get more distance by having a more focused beam but you would lose spill which is valuable up close. For me the TLR1HL does a damn fine job of balancing lumens and spill for just about the most practical solution, for my needs anyway (mainly urban use).

If I were working in a strictly rural area I might go for something with a more focused beam and give up some spill (and a magnified optic instead of a red dot)... YMMV of course.

There are several video reviews on Youtube which will give you some idea of what to expect at various ranges...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But what does that mean in practical use? Not much probably... I can just about guarantee you are not going to get target ID at 245 meters in total darkness with one. Even 150 in total darkness is probably a stretch... you could probably identify there is someone there but actually being able to ID a weapon etc, good luck. Anecdotally I would say probably more like 100 yards for real target ID ability which is great in my opinion. You could get more distance by having a more focused beam but you would lose spill which is valuable up close. For me the TLR1HL does a damn fine job of balancing lumens and spill for just about the most practical solution, for my needs anyway (mainly urban use).

If I were working in a strictly rural area I might go for something with a more focused beam and give up some spill (and a magnified optic instead of a red dot)... YMMV of course.

There are several video reviews on Youtube which will give you some idea of what to expect at various ranges...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your setup looks very good. 1 o'clock is as topside as I can get mine. Had various version of Surefire and this is smaller and more compact for what I want. Have no need in some kind of silly ass 100m plus white light engagement. Done with that stuff unless you are inside my 50m zone.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Older tlr1s on my rifle but same concept. This TLR1s is only 300 lumens but has one of the most beautiful beam patterns of any light i own.

EDIT- Not sure why the pic is sideways.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Older tlr1s on my rifle but same concept. This TLR1s is only 300 lumens but has one of the most beautiful beam patterns of any light i own.
EDIT- Not sure why the pic is sideways.
View Quote

Here you go. Did you post from handheld device? Tried to post it larger but forum is limiting it's size for whatever reason.

Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one mounted in the 6:00 position on my 10.5" SBR, but I planned on replacing it with a Surefire 6PX. I don't really like it there because I have a tendency to activate it when I don't want to.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Here you go. Did you post from handheld device? Tried to post it larger but forum is limiting it's size for whatever reason.

http://i.imgur.com/3HGDnOk.jpg?1l
View Quote

Thanks. Yeah i was posting from my phone.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]
i have it at 45 degrees to the left on a haley strategic keymod mount. i hate it, it adds a lot of bulk and blocks a bit of visibility.

i love the toggle switch and am inspired by this thread to move it to 12 o clock. it looks like that might obstruct the my FOV the least since i always leave the front flippy sight up anyways. thanks dudes!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#20]
The only way I could see it remotely working well is at 12 O'clock on a rail.  

Showed up to my first carbine class with a TLR -1 on a scout mount.  Through out the day I must have turned the thing on accidentally half a dozen times.  Finally hit the night shoot.  Engaging and disengaging the light was very clumsy.  

Got home after the class and that damn thing came off my rifle and will never be mounted to a rifle ever again.  

Now I run Streamlight Pro Tacs on my rifles in single mode.  A click on and off for me is much much easier to use.  Verified this is 2 additional classes afterwards.  

Internet advice only goes so far.  Get out and TEST your setup in training.  You'll find out what works and what doesn't.  All of my firearms I'd use for self defense have a light mounted.  The brighter the better.  Threat identification is absolutely imperative.  For those who say they don't want a light too bright, I've "tested" my 1100 lumen Pro Tac TL3 indoors and had zero problems with blinding.  I know where my mirrors are no matter how dark my house it.  It's my house and I still have a sense of direction in the dark.

My advice.  Buy a Pro Tac for less, and start saving for a class with night/low light shooting involved.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I had one on a KMR at 12 o clock. Worked fine. I'm ordering this mount to use on a carbine with FSB.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have mine mounted on a Midwest Industries G3 MLOK handguard at the 45° with a Magpul cantilever light mount. Very pleased with this setup.
View Quote

I've done exactly this before, but right now my HL is my only WML, so it gets moved to pistols, rifles, and once in a while a shotgun as needed for whatever I'm doing. So far the regular toggle has worked fine for me on everything.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had one on a KMR at 12 o clock. Worked fine. I'm ordering this mount to use on a carbine with FSB.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/360662/IMG-6858-133854.JPG
View Quote

How are you going to turn the light on and off?  Looks like you'll have to take your support hand off the rifle to turn get to the switch.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a tlr-1 hl on mt 20" It works great  I just shut off the strobe feature

On my carbine I have a tlr hl-2G on my carbine That light also works great.

I wish I could get a st07 style switch for my stream lights I keep thinking maybe next yer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a 600 lumen TLR-1 mounted on my working rifle, works great. On a building search there is no such thing as too bright unless someone has one of the new retro-reflective stop signs in their house

I'll be replacing the TLR with the new Pro-Tac Railmount HLX when it becomes widely available. Ended up with the Gen 2 WMLx.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a 600 lumen TLR-1 mounted on my working rifle, works great. On a building search there is no such thing as too bright unless someone has one of the new retro-reflective stop signs in their house

I'll be replacing the TLR with the new Pro-Tac Railmount HLX when it becomes widely available.
View Quote

I have the 800 lumen. Most of my interior walls are what I would call a matte /dull beige color finish (sheet rock). I don't experience the blinding / too bright, etc effect that others mention.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I use one with the pressure switch tail cap. It's a nice setup.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had one on a KMR at 12 o clock. Worked fine. I'm ordering this mount to use on a carbine with FSB.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/360662/IMG-6858-133854.JPG
View Quote

How are you going to turn the light on and off?  Looks like you'll have to
take your support hand off the rifle to turn get to the switch.
View Quote
I'm running that KZ setup with a Magpul SL handguard.  Since it's extended under the front sight, it's an easy reach to run the switch.

Edit: missed the quotes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got the tlr-1 HL on my ar. I love it. It stays at the right 45 on my rifle which is still usable  if I have to switch to my non dominant side.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15202640_1463607967015054_5490201519681273812_n.jpg?oh=a82826deba0fc640d814ca8c232ad442&oe=5910F817
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#30]
One step above the HL, is the 775lm/438m throw/48k lux TLR-1-HPL
Modded, here it is at 880lm/680m throw/116k lux TLR-1-HPLvn
I was sold on having one
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Well I did go with the TLR1 HL and find it is just right for my needs. Came with the pressure pad and some zip ties. Mounted at 130 position on my MLok ADL rail and it is out of my FOV. Bright out to 100m. Light. Small. Like that these come with a "off" position so you don't light things up if not wanted or needed.
Head is 30mm and even fitted a Butler Creek flip cover on it so the lens does not reflect during the day.

Overall very satisfied.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well I did go with the TLR1 HL and find it is just right for my needs.

Overall very satisfied.
View Quote
I have had mine for a couple years. I like it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

that mount will not work if you need to use a remote tape switch.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

that mount will not work if you need to use a remote tape switch.
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a TLR-G on one of my rifles and I don't like the setup I'll probably wind up converting it to a WML on a 45º offset just to try one. For my mileage pistol lights look goofy and get in the way of BUIS and optics at 12 o'clock, and are difficult to actuate in other positions on the rail. It's easier for me to actuate a Surefire Scout with a tape switch and I have a couple of my nicer rifles setup this way. However Surefire's are overpriced I also have a few beater rifles a couple of them are setup with 200 lumen Streamlight Polytac's, and one with a 1000 lumen 18650 cell Fenix TK series all mounted in the 11 o'clock postion and I just hit the button with my thumb which works much better for me than the pistol lights toggle switch does.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:29:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I picked up a WMLx Gen 2 to replace my TLR-1HL. Initial impressions are promising and the switch is much more useful and less prone to accidental activation. Time will tell on durability.

I wanted to wait for the ProTac HLX but I really liked how the WMLx functions.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#37]
As much as I like my TLR, its ergonomics on an AR are awful.  Just can't get the switch close enough inboard, and felt horribly awkward.  So I ditched it and am far happier with a scout style (Protac rail mount). Button is in close, and right where my thumb rests.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone see the HL cheaper than $120?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top