Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2016 9:50:19 PM EDT
Been thinking about putting a green LED light on my AR for shooting 4-legged nocturnal critters (we get a lot of coyote activity in our back field, especially at dark-thutty in the mawnin'...). I was wondering, though, if I want my rifle to do dual-duty as a home defense gun, if I need to get a second, white LED weapon light, or if the green would still be okay? Granted it wouldn't have the sort of "blinding" effect as a bright white light, but for target ID and acquisition I would think it would work fine. Any opinions on this?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Green should be good for hunting most will not be spooked from that color. As for HD it will preserve your night vision, it doesnt give your position away like white light, but will not have the same blinding effect as white light either.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Any way you could run a filter? Then you get both.

Keep it on until you need white light. Could also help in case you ND your light (did that once, splash off the wall blinded me quite well lol!) from blinding yourself or giving your position away.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Red filter on LED is crap.  Absorbs too much light and significantly more with LED vs incan.
Look into a actual colored LED from custom maker candlepower forums or CPFmarketplace.
I bet a Malkoff with green LED XPE or XRE probably smaller footpring so would have hotter surface which generally throws further all else equal, in C Maglite would reach out real far.  You would need to find mount.  

Either green or red are much less noticeable to someone driving by on road or whatever compared to white light.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]
do you hunt alone or with a companion??

if you have someone with you try one of the green laser illuinators  click me for googel link

I have never used one but I have played wit them, t spot lighting is illegal everywhere I have lived

Laser Genetics ND5 Mini Subzero Long-distance Laser Illuminator
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
do you hunt alone or with a companion??

if you have someone with you try one of the green laser illuinators  click me for googel link

I have never used one but I have played wit them, t spot lighting is illegal everywhere I have lived

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrJcKb_EjIc
View Quote

I hunt alone on my parents' property. Michigan law was recently changed to allow coyote hunting at night (and with a suppressor, if desired, though I can't afford one - hope the "Hearing Protection Act" passes!).
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a light that uses the Cree XM-L T6 LED and 18650 batteries. I have a green LED module rated at 3000LM, and a white LED module rated at 1000LM. Easy to switch out the LED modules for whatever I need the light for. Note I have no way to actually test the "rated" outputs, but they certainly ARE bright!
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top