Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2016 2:28:06 AM EDT
I usually use a Surefire G2X, but I want lighter. What does the hive recommend?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]
TLR1 maybe? I'm not sure on weight
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
M300V
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Streamlight TLR1 HL.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Lighter than the Surefire? I'd check out the Inforce WML Gen2 or their WMLx Gen2 if you want more lumens. Avoid the Gen1's, too many breakage problems.

Tomac
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Surefire M300 scout or the Malkoff/Arisaka scout would probably be one of the lightest, I think anyway.  Last option would be the Protac with the WOTG mount.  That would be a pretty darn light weight set up.  I was running a Lens-Light Mini in a Arson Keymod ring mount on my Light Weight build and I liked it, but the switch took little pressure to go from momentary to clicked on and running it in a class it didn't work so well when it would stay on when I wanted it off.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I like my mini scout on an Arisaka mount, lightweight and low profile.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Surefire M300 or Malkoff/Arisaka equivalent.  I run mine on Arisaka inline m-lok mounts. Pretty light package.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Looking at the specifications of the lights mentioned so far in this thread, it seems the WML is the lightest, with the  Arisaka 300 being very close.  Will the Arisaka 300 body work with the Surefire 300V head and switch?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking at the specifications of the lights mentioned so far in this thread, it seems the WML is the lightest, with the  Arisaka 300 being very close.  Will the Arisaka 300 body work with the Surefire 300V head and switch?
View Quote

I do believe that the Arisaka is fully compatible with surefire stuff, as long as the 300V has the same threads as the regular 300, which I think it does. Could be wrong.  IF nothing else, shoot Arisaka an email.  Like has been said before, they are good people to work with.  

On a side note, I would go with the Surefire or arisaka 300's over the WML's.  Reliability is less questionable and you have a lot better mounting options IMO.  Plus if you are mounting a 300 in an offset mount or whatever, it is much less obtrusive than the WML.  If mounting at 3, 9 or 12 o'clock, the WML isn't so bad.  But there are a lot of folks that have had issues with the WML lights.  Both with cracking and electronics failures.  I have seen 3 cases personally, and many more on here.  Never really seen an issue with the SF or Arisaka/malkoff scouts.  I have nothing against the WML's.  I think the design is neat, but the execution has been a bit lacking IMO.  Something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I am building a 300 scout from Arisaka and Malkoff parts
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Buy the Malkoff Head

M300 Head
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#14]
For something to remain mounted 24/7, the Arisaka 300 would be my choice too.

Since I have other HD weapons that wear their lights 24/7 I went with something that can be mounted quickly when the need arises: a Malkoff M61T MD2 in a Vltor offset mount.  This way I don't have to leave the light attached when I don't need it (and can use the excellent Malkoff in normal hand-held mode) yet quickly attach the light if needed.   It works for me.

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
TLR1 maybe? I'm not sure on weight
View Quote

if all you want is white light the newest  TLR1 HL is 800 lumens mount is included and is QD no tools needed . they can be had on the EE for 80-$100

I have a thr-2  mounted on my  carbine and have at times mounted a tlr 2 and a tlr1 or even two tlr-2s on my 20" rifles.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Buy the Malkoff Head

M300 Head
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy the Malkoff Head

M300 Head

300V gets you IR light (not sure if KarlSG1 has NOD)
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#18]
protac rail mount 1.  bang for buck it's a lot of light, and is pretty light weight.  it's all aluminum unlike the X300, WML, and TLR-1.

if money is no object, M300.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm glad you posted this, I've been on the same quest for a lightweight light to mount on my Noveske Keymod for my light Noveske SBR build.

I personally have never been a fan of pistol lights being mounted on ARs (ie. TRLs, SF X300s, M6Xs, etc.).  This probably comes from my days in the Marine Corps where we were given M6X for our M-16s and it felt like a cheap compromise.  I just feel that pistol lights were made for pistols, and while they may work on a rifle, I just don't like them.

When I started my lightweight SBR build, I had pretty much decided that I was going to buy the Inforce WML (or WMLx).  I want something light, ergonomic, with good features, and I can't complain about the price point of the Inforces.  Now that it's time to pull the trigger on the purchase, I started doing a lot more research and asking around about the Inforces and everything I'm hearing is bad.  There are a lot of durability issues with these lights from people who have purposely abused them to people to have babied them.  I am not especially hard on my weapons, and I won't ever purposely slam them or abuse them but at the same time I want products that aren't going to fail me.

So I've tentatively changed my mind from the Inforce WML to the Surefire M300 Mini Scout.  The Inforce weighs 3oz, The Surefire weighs 4.8oz.  The Inforce costs $150ish, The Surefire can be found for $200ish.  Plus with the ergonomics of the Inforce, I had already planned on purchasing an offset mount so you can add $50 to the Inforce purchase.  Though I may want to purchase another mount or remote switch for the Surefire too.

All in all, I think for the extra $50 and extra 1.8oz of weight still make the Surefire a better purchase.  I've been running Surefire products for years without failure, so I don't know why I even considered another brand.  FYI I've had a lot of issues with Streamlight lights as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

300V gets you IR light (not sure if KarlSG1 has NOD)
View Quote

No NOD yet. I have a goal to get some within the next year.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#21]
If you don't need something very bright look At the MFT TORCH Backup light, weighs about 20 grams.

Only 10-20 lumens but is available with whit/red/IR versions.

Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#22]
If you want an offset mount. The lightest, including mount, is the Arisaka/Malkoff. It's as bright as the M300. It weighs 61 grams without mount or battery or 2.15 ounces. It's $159-179, so not crazy expensive. With 300 lumens output, there is no reason to get an M300 unless you like the extra weight and price.

The WML is junky IMO and an offset mount is crazy heavy. The Streamlight is better made IMO, and it's not very small or light.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top