Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2016 4:12:54 PM EDT
Can't decide on an AR weapon light for general HD, both are about $200:

Surefire is proven, has lifetime warranty, longer run time of 1.3 hrs. Downside is I have to buy an extra mount, and parts are expensive.  

Elzetta seems to have bomb-proof construction, a bit cheaper, high/low beam, no extra mount needed. Downside appears to be a 42 min run time.

My understanding is that the Surefire has more throw/hotspot, whereas the Elzetta has more flood.

Is it true that more flood is better for indoor/CQB use but bad for outdoors? Will the Surefire be the better all-around light for indoor/outdoor use?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can't decide on an AR weapon light for general HD, both are about $200:

Surefire is proven, has lifetime warranty, longer run time of 1.3 hrs. Downside is I have to buy an extra mount, and parts are expensive.  

Elzetta seems to have bomb-proof construction, a bit cheaper, high/low beam, no extra mount needed. Downside appears to be a 42 min run time.

My understanding is that the Surefire has more throw/hotspot, whereas the Elzetta has more flood.

Is it true that more flood is better for indoor/CQB use but bad for outdoors? Will the Surefire be the better all-around light for indoor/outdoor use?

Thanks.
View Quote

Surefire runtime is almost identical to the elzetta,if your counting regulated output.
Surefire has much better throw and plenty of spill.
Elzetta has better potting, surefire has better optics, both are my opinion,  not demonstrable fact.

People talk up elzetta and malkoff potting, but surefire dips their boards, they just don't do a full on thermal job. Elzetta and malkoff (same) "sag" a bit less due to it.

I love Gene and his all American mindset and lifestyle and product, but I went surefire and am very pleased.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you considered this.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The Elzetta is definitely heavier. I run 300s on my 5.56 guns, but I put a CQB on my 10.5 300AAC. It's more of a CQB type gun, and I would probably have a laser on it if I were to use it outside in the dark.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top