Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2016 2:29:31 PM EDT
I've been looking at a DBAL-I2.  Let's get this out of the way... Why?  I don't know.  I have no real need for one but, I like it and I want one.

I was about to pull the trigger on a green laser variant and buy one about fifteen minutes ago for about $750 but, I then realized I had some questions before I committed.

If I had it in my hands right now, it would probably go on my 6940 with a green reticle ACOG or a DD with Aimpoint Comp M2.

Would the green laser become lost or washed out with the green reticle ACOG?

Would the OTAL-C be a better fit for someone who currently has no interest in night vision devices?  If I did have NV, would I really be missing out then?

I also read a few posts (Amazon and other sellers) regarding warranty work on the DBAL where it would turn off on it's own, is that still an issue?

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
To address a couple questions, I'd get the red version as the visible laser will be a tertiary aiming device.  The unit is really for NV.  With green it might confuse you with the green ACOG reticle but maybe not too badly.  also, red holds up better in colder weather...like really cold.

The durability and drain issues were taken care of multiple years ago when LDI was producing them.  No issues now.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The unit is really for NV.
View Quote

I figured...I just haven't purchased a "toy" in some time and it calls to me...

Should I just look at the OTAL-C then?
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Will a green laser get lost/blended in when looking through your ACOG? I dont think itll matter since a green laser will probably disapear in the daylight anyway if your plan on using it on anything past 50-75 yards.
Do I think you should upgrade to a D3 if you where to get NODs in the future? My suggestion is a I2 IR laser/IR led illuminator is a better buy if you don't need a visible laser, your target range is within 100-150 yards in the darkest condition ie thick canopy/no moon overhead/and your not worried about someone have a better set of NODS than you. Although a D2 blows the D3, I2 IR and the APTIAL-C illuminator out of the water buy a huge margin. But on the flip side you'd be better off spending your money on one of the latest GEN3 NV like a TNVC PVS-14 GEN3 Omni VIII and a I2 IR. The better the GEN3 tube the better you'll see in the dark without any illumination. I'll quote one of Vic's favorite sayings "Ask me how I know".
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Will a green laser get lost/blended in when looking through your ACOG? I dont think itll matter since a green laser will probably disapear in the daylight anyway if your plan on using it on anything past 50-75 yards.
Do I think you should upgrade to a D3 if you where to get NODs in the future? My suggestion is a I2 IR laser/IR led illuminator is a better buy if you don't need a visible laser, your target range is within 100-150 yards in the darkest condition ie thick canopy/no moon overhead/and your not worried about someone have a better set of NODS than you. Although a D2 blows the D3, I2 IR and the APTIAL-C illuminator out of the water buy a huge margin. But on the flip side you'd be better off spending your money on one of the latest GEN3 NV like a TNVC PVS-14 GEN3 Omni VIII and a I2 IR. The better the GEN3 tube the better you'll see in the dark without any illumination. I'll quote one of Vic's favorite sayings "Ask me how I know".
View Quote

To be fair, there are still multiple uses and needs for an IR illumination device even with gen3+ NODs...
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Try a lasermax or sightmark green vis laser for $100ish before you spend more. Unless you have a real specific need to use one, it just becomes one more thing taking up space.

Issues with your optic washing out the laser aren't a problem, because you'll only look through to do a quick zero, and you'll be looking over your optic while aiming with the laser.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't mind nice things taking up space.  I thought this was going to be simple.

The "wash out" question came about when I read other comments in reviews of some laser systems and I started to second guess myself and overthought the issue.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, you won't  be looking through the optic to see the laser.  Non issue
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#8]
If I do not have NV and never plan to get it, what are some other reasons that I should get a visible laser, IR combo and not just a visible laser? I am in the same situation as the OP.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I do not have NV and never plan to get it, what are some other reasons that I should get a visible laser, IR combo and not just a visible laser? I am in the same situation as the OP.
View Quote

None.

A visible laser is a waste of time for a rifle with primary ( and likely backup) sights.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

None.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None.

He's right.  Like I said in my post, I have no need for it but I want one.

However...I am now looking at night vision...
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
-If you are going to get into it, be ready to buy nice shit. Wobbly USGI mounts/helmets/etc get old fast, Buy used, and "buy up".
--Don't skimp. The minimum you want to buy is a gen3 PVS-14. If you don't start there, it's not worth it.
-If you don't already have a place to go shoot low/no-light, find one and go shoot a few times before you buy, or don't buy the stuff.
-If you can't hunt with it, you probably won't use it much.

I've been able to take mine out 4 times so far this year. I'd like to do more, but the hunting regs don't allow me to use them (which is a drag).
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
-If you are going to get into it, be ready to buy nice shit. Wobbly USGI mounts/helmets/etc get old fast, Buy used, and "buy up".
--Don't skimp. The minimum you want to buy is a gen3 PVS-14. If you don't start there, it's not worth it.
-If you don't already have a place to go shoot low/no-light, find one and go shoot a few times before you buy, or don't buy the stuff.
-If you can't hunt with it, you probably won't use it much.

I've been able to take mine out 4 times so far this year. I'd like to do more, but the hunting regs don't allow me to use them (which is a drag).
View Quote

The one you listed is actually the one I was looking at.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#13]
If you don't NEED it today, take a few weeks and watch the NVG section in EE. Make it a point to watch that section with patience and be ready to jump on things that pop up. If you settle for Gen2 stuff, you'll be disappointed and throwing money away.

Used PVS-14s can be found for $1600-2200.  (Don't be afraid of blems)
DBAL i2s for $600-650ish.
IR/White lights $100-300.
ACH $100 with an upgraded strap system for another $50.
Definitely get a lanyard Free-$50
An upgraded wilcox rhino mount, but USGI could buy you time.

Definitely go out and shoot at night a few times before you buy. It's nice to know it's there and be comfortable with it, but if you don't or won't go use it, that $3k to $10k shit is going to just sit in a closet and not make you any better.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Alright, DBAL it is to be paired with PVS-14.  Two cool toys since everything else has been "I need parts/ammo/etc." for a while now rather than "I want."

Thanks for everyone's replies.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Now i want one.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Now i want one.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Very nice!
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#19]
DVOR had the CQBL for $609.

Sale is over now though.

ETA: Ed Avila had 2 used CQBLs for $650/ea in the EE.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_148/1609519_FS--CQBL-1--650.html
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's the difference?  I'll have to do some research.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CQBL is red Vis laser slaved with IR laser. You can sight in the Vis laser and it will also sight in the IR laser.

On the DBAL I2, the two laser modules are not slaved. So you have to have access to night time range to sight it in.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

None.

A visible laser is a waste of time for a <span style="font-weight: bold;">rifle with primary ( and likely backup) sights.
View Quote

This. if you want a visible laser then by all means get one. But, IMHO there is no reason, ever, for a visible laser on a rifle, especially a duty rifle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:26:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've been looking at a DBAL-I2.  Let's get this out of the way... Why?  I don't know.  I have no real need for one but, I like it and I want one.

I was about to pull the trigger on a green laser variant and buy one about fifteen minutes ago for about $750 but, I then realized I had some questions before I committed.

If I had it in my hands right now, it would probably go on my 6940 with a green reticle ACOG or a DD with Aimpoint Comp M2.

Would the green laser become lost or washed out with the green reticle ACOG?

Would the OTAL-C be a better fit for someone who currently has no interest in night vision devices?  If I did have NV, would I really be missing out then?

I also read a few posts (Amazon and other sellers) regarding warranty work on the DBAL where it would turn off on it's own, is that still an issue?
View Quote

Way too much $.

There are at least three on gearconnect right now for around $600-$650

That's an Instagram page btw.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Telluricgroup.com makes 25 yard targets that allows you to use NODs and IR in daylight/indoors. They worked for me with my mounted DBAL-L².
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top