Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2016 5:50:59 PM EDT
Hey guys, so I have a surefire m962 weapon light that uses 3 cr123 batteries and an incandescent lamp. I have been looking to convert it to led for outdoor only use on one of my ar's for the simple fact that I have a surefire 6p with a cree drop in that I can clearly see the tree line of my back yard at 100m. Here's my dilemma, should I convert the 962 body to accept a smaller z44 bezel and take a standard p60 led drop in? Or stick with the larger bezel and a lumens factory drop in led? Changing to z44 I would loose one cr123. So the question is what drawbacks will I encounter in going from 3 cr123 cells down to 2? Weight and size not being in the equation. Thanks, from a flashlight newbie
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
you would essentially be converting it to a M951 if you dropped to 2 CR123s and the KX4 head or P60 drop in. The factory KX4 LED module is nice, but there are other brighter CREE P60 type modules that produce more lumens with a better runtime.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Size wise yes, so what would be the disadvantages of loosing one cell
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Size wise yes, so what would be the disadvantages of loosing one cell
View Quote

There really aren't any.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Running a three cell Surefire light body is more economical if you make the investment into rechargeable cells.  A pair of 17500 cells will drive a 9 volt Surefire incandescent lamp very well.  With rechargeable cells the run time advantage of LED lamps is debatable.  Also, even with LED dropins a 3 cell format often yields additional output and longer run times than a 2 cell format.

Paladin
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top