Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2016 11:10:27 AM EDT
Have a client.   Doesn't want a surefire.

Needs a light for his AR for home defense.

500 to 1000 lumens, flood through with hot spot in center.

Other than surefire, what do y'all recommend?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

Streamlight on the cheap.
Malkoff/Elzetta if they would like to spend more (and get more).

However, Streamlight's new Scout and mini-Scout have gotten very promising reviews, don't cost a whole lot, and come from a company that has a pretty quality reputation even considering their origin of manufacture.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Which elzetta?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
My son just gave me an Inforce. Mount built in, 500 lumens and beam is just how you described.
Havent mounted it yet but it looks solid
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My son just gave me an Inforce. Mount built in, 500 lumens and beam is just how you described.
View Quote

If it's a WML, they have a horrible reputation for cracking/shattering for no reason what so ever.  "Solid" is not the word I'd use to describe them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Why no surefire?  Also, depending on the home, 500 lumen may be a bit much.  I'd looks at Streetlight offerings...Elzetta as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If it's a WML, they have a horrible reputation for cracking/shattering for no reason what so ever.  "Solid" is not the word I'd use to describe them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My WMLx developed a crack where the head screws in. I was shooting it and the head and battery fell out. The crack let the metal threaded piece fall out. I could push it back in and I probably could have epoxied the crack to make it all better.

I called Inforce and they gave me an RMA number. About a month later, I received a new in package WMLx in the mail. I put it on another rifle (not my duty rifle where it was) and since that rifle sits in the safe 99% of the time, I am OK with it.

I also noticed a guy at work with a WMLx. I looked at his and his had the same crack in the same spot mine did. He said he had noticed it but it wasn't causing any issues. I advised him to get a hold of Inforce about it as they took care of me.

Supposedly, the plastic used for the bodies is better now but only time will tell. My light was a couple years old when the head/batteries fell out. Other than the crack, I had zero complaints about the light. I did not have the issue with the batteries draining  with the head screwed all the way in either.

EDIT: I replaced the WMLx with one of the new streamlight two cell rail lights. So far, no issues with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
the streamly TLR1-HL might be an option.  After that Elzetta Bravo and charlie are good and might be the ticket.  In the 1k lumen range, the pickins get slim on lights that are solid and dependable and still at that out put.  I still like Surefires over pretty much anything else.  I am kind of snobby like that though.  People seem to like the Klarus lights.  I tend to not like Fenix stuff.  If you want to go balls deep, you can custom build a light from Overready.  It will be stupid expensive but they ones that can go up to 3800lm.  I don;t think they make one above 500lm, but Lens-Light makes some cool lights.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Streamlight TLR HL would be an option if you want a tape switch or the Streetlight ProTac® Rail Mount 2.

They are above 500 lumens according to Streamlight.

Here is my HD SBR to show how I mounted the regular TLR.

Another option is if the client is not dead set on over 500 lumens suggest a Streamlight poly tac and a VTAC mount.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 1:56:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Mr. Cody,

I'd convince your client to reconsider his position on Surefire and get an M600U. I hate Surefire, but all my weaponlight are Surefire, because they are the best.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:01:10 AM EDT
[#10]
The light you want is the M600U.

Though the Streamlight rail mount lights look promising.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Streamlight tlr-1 HL (600 lumens) with tape switch and it works well for HD. I'm going to swap it out for the new 800 lumen model and use that gun for shtf type stuff. I'll then get a Streamlight Rail Mount 1 (350 lumens) for my AR pistol and use that for HD.

I've used Streamlight for years with good success. My only qualm with Surefire is the price point, if my budget was higher I'd probably run a lot more Surefires.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why no surefire?  Also, depending on the home, 500 lumen may be a bit much.  I'd looks at Streetlight offerings...Elzetta as well.
View Quote

500-1000 lumens will blind everyone, including the good guy. 200 lumens would be perfect
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#13]
You can find used x300 ultras on EE for around $175... I would jump on one of those
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Streamlight Protac Rail Mount

You can buy it new online for about $100, comes with tailcap and pressure pad with all mounting hardware. Two battery model is 625 lumes for 2.75 hours.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Malkoff and Larue QD mount.  Use the tail cap push button.  I am done with wires and finicky push pads.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:54:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Too bad SF is a no-go for him, I love the mini-scout I have mounted on my house rifle. Small footprint, and just the right amount of light to not blind myself in a dark house.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Elzetta Bravo at a minimum. An outstanding product.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Arisaka.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got the Railmount 1 and it seems quite solid so far.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Which elzetta?
View Quote

Bravo if they need the extra light for outside. Mini CQB if it's a inside defense gun.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

500-1000 lumens will blind everyone, including the good guy. 200 lumens would be perfect
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to you?

Lumens isn't everything. Don't spread bad information based upon your opinion.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought a light system from Brightflashlights.com. Check out his website but call Kevin directly.  He has excelkent service and is a great guy.  He knows about everything going on in the flashlight world.  

I went with the Olight 1000 lumen that uses 18650 rechargeable batteries.  It is way too bright for indoor use but great on the farm.  I also have a smaller 18650 light that is adjustable and has a much better spread and spill of overall light.  

I bought 6 batteries and 2 chargers.  I will add additional lights that use 18650 batteries.  I was using 6 cr123s per month @$2.25 each.  I haven't bought 123s in 10 months.  I broke even on battery expense in 4 months.  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top