Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 9:10:33 PM EDT
Trying to set up my new Sig MPX subgun. I'm going to run a Surefire M300 Scout but I'm thinking I might want a laser. What are decent options that are decently priced? I won't need IR option, just visible.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You're likely to find that visible lasers are wasted $.

JMHO.

Maybe start with a Crimson Trace railmaster or Lasermax Uni?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Streamlight TLR-4 light & red laser on my AK pistol, bought it online for $110. Only had about 500 rounds on it but still functions & holds zero @ 25 yards. Dot size appears to be about 3 MOA to my eyes. Uses a CR2 battery so run time is what I'd call more than adequate.

The red lasers are cheaper & have a longer run time than green, but IMHO red is only good enough for indoor use. Outdoors at 50 yards my red laser is invisible.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're likely to find that visible lasers are wasted $.
View Quote

This.

If you must have one, go with green, it will be much more visible.
I've got an old Beamshot 1000 on an offset thumb screw mount, I've played with it, but I don't actually use it for anything but driving the dog crazy (off the gun)...

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a Streamlight TLR-4 light & red laser on my AK pistol, bought it online for $110. Only had about 500 rounds on it but still functions & holds zero @ 25 yards. Dot size appears to be about 3 MOA to my eyes. Uses a CR2 battery so run time is what I'd call more than adequate.

The red lasers are cheaper & have a longer run time than green, but IMHO red is only good enough for indoor use. Outdoors at 50 yards my red laser is invisible.
View Quote

Agree with this. If you're insistent, go this route. The light works great. Green laser is a better choice than red.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on your "mission", conditions, all that stuff, lasers can be very beneficial. For low light, night time stuff I find them to be great. Unless you get a really expensive green laser that actually illuminates well in bright day light, I'd stay with the less expensive red. At night, they illuminate farther than any need you'll have. If the laser is dialed in properly and you can see the target, simply put the dot on the target and it's a done deal. Hold the firearm conventionally, behind your back, the laser could care less. Dot it and kill it. I have one on a 10/22 which I zeroed at 25 meters. I've gone out 30-40 yards (in my yard) on armadillos and others . Like taking candy from a baby. Have another on the way for one of my ARs. I recommend them if your situation warrants.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Depending on your "mission", conditions, all that stuff, lasers can be very beneficial. For low light, night time stuff I find them to be great. Unless you get a really expensive green laser that actually illuminates well in bright day light, I'd stay with the less expensive red. At night, they illuminate farther than any need you'll have. If the laser is dialed in properly and you can see the target, simply put the dot on the target and it's a done deal. Hold the firearm conventionally, behind your back, the laser could care less. Dot it and kill it. I have one on a 10/22 which I zeroed at 25 meters. I've gone out 30-40 yards (in my yard) on armadillos and others . Like taking candy from a baby. Have another on the way for one of my ARs. I recommend them if your situation warrants.
View Quote

You could do the same thing with an RDS (minus the "behind the back" thing) without dealing with any of the downsides inherent to visible lasers.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top