Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2016 10:47:43 PM EDT
I bought a new flashlight today - a Fenix TK16. This is my first Fenix light, despite probably owning close to 40 LED lights over the years... (Owned Streamlights, Eagletacs, Nightcores, Inovas, Solarforces, Luma Power, and many other brands)

Today, I decided to sell my Streamlight TRL1 that I briefly had on my new PS90 carbine (the TRL1 was previously on a Rock River carbine, that I recently sold). And, I am going back to a traditional shaped flashlight for my PS90... Sorta like I previously had on my 1st PS90 carbine that I used to own many years ago.

Now, I like my other TRL1 that is on my SCAR 16. But because of the location of the side rails on the PS90, the usefulness of the TRL1 isn't as great as it is on other rifles. I have to move my hand up to activate the light on the PS90. And, I'd rather have something with longer battery life, and that can use 18650 rechargables instead of primary cells.

I did a lot of reading to decide what I wanted - I considered going with an Eagletac T200C2... But, in the end, I decided to go with a Fenix TK16. I picked one up today at Academy.

It is sweet. I like that the medium setting can last 10 hours - and it is more than bright enough on the medium setting for inside of my house. The high setting lasts almost 3.5 hours, and it is much brighter than the TRL1 output. And, the Turbo lasts 1 hr and 10 min. The Turbo is damn, damn bright - about 1000 lumens.

For its purpose (on a home defense carbine), I don't ever see going more than a medium or high setting, unless I go outside at night with it. I plan to leave it on the medium setting by default.

However - I just came in form being outside.... The Fenix has more throw than my daily carry flashlight - the Nightore SRT6. And, the strobe on the Fenix comes on at the full 1000 lumens. It almost makes me sick looking at it.  :P It is brighter than the strobe on my Nightcore, and even easier to activate. I'd have to have that turned on in my face.

I've been carrying my Nightcore for 2 years now. But, I may end up getting another Fenix TK16 later on as a new daily carry light. Because of my job, I use a flash light daily. And, I am always looking for something equivalent to a pocket sun. This Fenix is a little smaller than the Nightcore too. And, with the way the strobe feature is activated,  I think it makes for a better carry light than my Nightcore.

(The pic shows the clip, but I removed the clip to mount on the carbine)

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok - I bought a 2nd one today to carry with me. That strobe is killer at 1000 lumens - and the strobe activation is super fast. Light is also brighter and a tiny bit shorter than my Nightcore SRT6. So, I couldn't resist :)
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, I can't recommend this light now.

The one on my PS90 was on the gun for its first firing today. 5.7 had very mild recoil. Shot 200 rounds, and the flashlight won't work. Doesn't matter what batteries. Only the strobe works for as long as you hold that 2nd function button. Otherwise, the light won't come on at all. I think there is an issue with the switch.

Anyway - that is sad. The light is made to be mounted on a gun - you can even buy a pressure switch and gun mount from Fenix for it.

I returned it to Academy. And, I decided to return the 2nd one too - the one I bought to use as a new EDC.

I worried that if it broke that easily - what if I drop the Fenix EDC one a couple of times, it would probably break. I don't trust it anymore.

So, returned 2 lights and the scope rings I bought to mount the light on the gun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably should've went with the Fenix PD35 or Fenix PD35 Tactical.

I use the Fenix PD35 as my EDC and work light, bannged it up pretty good and its still good to go
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a TK12 here that the switch crapped out on.  I couldn't get parts for it since they discontinued it or something so I modded a clicky switch to work on it.  I have a very hard time with Fenix weapons lights now.  For work and around they house they are alright, but for for a serious gun, I would pass.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top