Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2016 10:35:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
What is that, like a 4 minute run time before the battery goes dead or it explodes?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't accidentally activate it in your holster or it will melt or set your pants aflame.

But what's the intended use case? My x300u with fresh batteries is enough to make me see spots from the reflection on the wall at night. I can't imagine using that thing inside.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't think the heads were end user serviceable/removeable on the X series lights?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
wonder how floody it will be?  I built a 500-700lm head for an old M3 I had laying around and at that level it is awesome for inside the house.  Super floody and will light up a bedroom almost completely with out blinding.  But when on a rifle outside, it sucked.  I could get to 75-100yds but the flood was just too much for my liking.  The optic is similar to that one so I have to wonder.  3500lm just seems like a "because I can" sort of thing and not "because it's useful".
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll let you know how they run when mine comes back. I'm sending my x300 as soon as I receive my return package from Oveready and Torch Lab...

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't accidentally activate it in your holster or it will melt or set your pants aflame.

But what's the intended use case? My x300u with fresh batteries is enough to make me see spots from the reflection on the wall at night. I can't imagine using that thing inside.
View Quote

That's why you don't shine it at a wall.  

If it has a long throw it'd be great for a carbine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My house has a lot of them and at inconvenient angles There's no way to clear a room without getting splash back
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knowng those 3x led optics, I seriously doubt that this will be much of a thrower.  It will probably be able to get out there a long ways just due to the massive volume of photons being emitted.  But it will also flood the piss out of stuff.  Pop off 1 or 2 shots with  a rifle and you will probably go blind from the splash back from the gases as they leave the barrel.  A suppressor might help a little but that is still a crap ton of light.  Not saying it wouldn't be pretty cool to see/have.  I am just not 100% sure of it's actual usefulness.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#10]
These.  Are.  Awesome.  I've seen the 2500 or so lumen version.  They are still very usable, good throw and enough flood to light up any room.  

Planning on grabbing one for my duty gun, and a scout head for the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm hoping for a decent throw, at one time I was running a Larue dual mount and running a "thrower" and a "flood". It was two much additional weight on the front of my rifle.

I know you CAN have a decent throw without a long reflector, I have a Fenix TK75 that REALLY reaches out.

I'm wondering if Oveready would offer it in a de-domed version to increase "throw", if not I'm sure I can have Vihn of SkyLumen do it.
View Quote

They sell stand alone scout heads on oveready as well.

Just get one of those if throw is your concern!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an old Surefire M951 that I've been thinking of upgrading with a Malkoff LED module. But I might really bring it out of the stone ages with an Oveready upgrade.

I'm thinking somewhere around 1,000 lumens should be a good compromise with brightness, battery life and usage and overall usability.

Anyone have experience?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I didn't think the heads were end user serviceable/removeable on the X series lights?
View Quote

You send your unit in and he'll convert it for around $350 IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
double post.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Upgrades are awesome, but the larger question for me is the life of the batteries and how well the hold up overall.  I figure if you are buying or converting a light, you should already have a rough idea of the flood vs spotlight beam it will throw.  3500 lumens with a long throw and 15 minute run time might be interesting for some people, but if your job is to clear buildings over and over all night, it would be horrid.
View Quote
Right on the spot. What's the point if it only last ten minutes ? My Surefire X300U has 600 lumens, I bought two. One for my USP Tactical and another for my 3rd gen Glock 17 which now resides on my 10.5 SBR. I need to get another one, but I don't think I would upgrade it to 3500. If it was just a thousand lumens then it would seem worth while, I think that's more than enough for any light mounted on a gun.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Right on the spot. What's the point if it only last ten minutes ? My Surefire X300U has 600 lumens, I bought two. One for my USP Tactical and another for my 3rd gen Glock 17 which now resides on my 10.5 SBR. I need to get another one, but I don't think I would upgrade it to 3500. If it was just a thousand lumens then it would seem worth while, I think that's more than enough for any light mounted on a gun.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Upgrades are awesome, but the larger question for me is the life of the batteries and how well the hold up overall.  I figure if you are buying or converting a light, you should already have a rough idea of the flood vs spotlight beam it will throw.  3500 lumens with a long throw and 15 minute run time might be interesting for some people, but if your job is to clear buildings over and over all night, it would be horrid.

If I understand the info on the Oveready website, the output is programmable by the user and can be dialed up to 3,500 or down to 1,000 lumens as desired.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not clearing buildings and am no door kicker- but I figured it would be cool to burn the retinas out of the whitetails that are decimating our soy fields while providing better target ID when we harvest them under our kill permit...

The selling point for me was the programmable nature of the light. Also, if you use the 3500 lumens setting, you need AW 16340 Lithium Manganese (IMR), which are same size at CR123s but provide 3.7 Nominal Volts (4.2v peak).

I'll update this thread once mine comes back.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, please.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, please.

Sent it off today... I'll give y'all a layman's perspective on flood and throw!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This seems like one of those things that seems so awesome you talk yourself into it. "I'll just change the batteries inbetween buildings....no big deal it takes 10 seconds"

And then three buildings into your first night you want to hang yourself it's so annoying. Lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I've looked at these myself.  Can't wait to hear a real life opinion.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#25]
That's equal to a 200 watt bulb, crazy
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#26]
My Fenix pd35 gets too hot to touch after 5 minutes. I can't imagine this..
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My Fenix pd35 gets too hot to touch after 5 minutes. I can't imagine this..
View Quote

The beauty is the light is programmable- I could scale back too 500 if it's too much. Still planning to provide y'all a neanderthal's report when I get it in.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top