Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2016 7:47:10 AM EDT
I have read discussions around the internets that Surefire has discontinued their tan models. The scare has even hit the EE with tan Scouts easily going for outrageous prices. But rest assured, Surefire seems to have been listening. This ad was in the most recent issue of Recoil and in the fine print reads "Both models are available in Black. Tan models coming soon." I don't think this is an old ad, since they are also advertising the new DS07 switch.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#1]
This will be good news if this happens, and if it's the anodized tan.  

My "fear" is that they discontinued the tan anodize and will just released coated (e.g., Cerakote) tan lights.

They discontinued the tan anodize originally because the "fit and finish" whiners complained that they didn't match, and they're not the only company to have done so.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not sure where you get your news...But a few things.  

Surefire is not too far away from us and we work with them pretty close.  The tan models WILL be anodized not "coated" and they didn't end any program because of "whiners" as their main sales had nothing to do with the civy market in that regard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My "fear" is that they discontinued the tan anodize and will just released coated (e.g., Cerakote) tan lights.

They discontinued the tan anodize originally because the "fit and finish" whiners complained that they didn't match, and they're not the only company to have done so.  

~Augee

Surefire is not too far away from us and we work with them pretty close.  The tan models WILL be anodized not "coated" and they didn't end any program because of "whiners" as their main sales had nothing to do with the civy market in that regard.

I said I feared that these would be coated, not that they were.  Was it the quotation marks that confused you?  I "fear" it because it's frankly rather minor, it's not like I have nightmares about Cerakoted flashlights.

I am not talking about their military/contract production, you and I both know that many companies will do things that they don't do for the civilian market for a large contract, and that such tan anodizing is largely driven by that.

Every company I've spoke to regarding tan anodizing, including Surefire has noted the difficulties involved with keeping tan anodizing and getting a consistent finish color.  Geissele, one of the few companies that still offers tan anodized parts as a regular production item has a disclaimer about tan anodizing inconsistency.  FNH took a beating over "multicolored SCARs" when they were released to the civilian market.  Almost every other company that has released tan anodized parts to the commercial market either only does it in small batches, has discontinued it (at least for commercial sales), and/or opted to go with a coated, rather than anodized finish.

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
As mentioned, proper Type 3 hard coat anodized in Tan is a difficult color to get consistent even within the same batch of anodize.  This is why refer to the color spectrum as DDC so folks will know they will not get a good match.  For the record, pefectlly matched colors on a rifle doesn't blend well with the environment.  I prefer the mismatched color.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I said I feared that these would be coated, not that they were.  Was it the quotation marks that confused you?  I "fear" it because it's frankly rather minor, it's not like I have nightmares about Cerakoted flashlights.

I am not talking about their military/contract production, you and I both know that many companies will do things that they don't do for the civilian market for a large contract, and that such tan anodizing is largely driven by that.

Every company I've spoke to regarding tan anodizing, including Surefire has noted the difficulties involved with keeping tan anodizing and getting a consistent finish color.  Geissele, one of the few companies that still offers tan anodized parts as a regular production item has a disclaimer about tan anodizing inconsistency.  FNH took a beating over "multicolored SCARs" when they were released to the civilian market.  Almost every other company that has released tan anodized parts to the commercial market either only does it in small batches, has discontinued it (at least for commercial sales), and/or opted to go with a coated, rather than anodized finish.

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

~Augee

Geisselle doesnt care. I have 2 rails and a scope mount in DDC, none match.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope they bring them back.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be in for an X300U-B.  

I was in love with the tan A models, but the superior mount on the B made me switch.  

I want muh cake, and I wanna eat it!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Need that Tan M300V.

Anyone have the new DS07 switch?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm definitely in for some tan SF's.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Anyone have the new DS07 switch?

View Quote

Yeah, it's sweet, and I like it for using with a VFG because it allows you to put the push button toward the bottom of the handguard which makes it easier to activate.

That said, SF needs to change their switch plug to something with a 90-degree profile like...GASP...the Insight switches . I don't like how it increases the overall length of the unit and how it protrudes, making it an easy candidate for getting bumped around.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't worry. Since I just bought a black M600vB, the tan will come out now

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Ooh yeah, I'm all in for a Tan M300 and M600.. But I really want to get my hands on a Tan M620 tho.. By any chance, does anyone have a spare M300 RePlacement Head "in Tan if course" for sale..? :D
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top