-The Rail Mount 1 works with AA and CR123 batteries
-programable for high/strobe, high only, and low/high function
-comes with standard tailcap and tape switch
-Tape switch has two activation buttons
-Tape switch mount is reasonably solid for what they're charging anyway
-$99 shipped for the Rail Mount 1 and $109 shipped for the Rail Mount 2

Cons:
-Made in China will be the big objection

Full review with the RM1 on a BCM upper and a RM2 on a SOLGW M4-SML for some shooting, a beam comparison/demo, and a more detailed discussion of the info above:

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
good review! I like my RM 1 and have no complaints as of now!
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice review!

Will probably get one to try out.

The rm2 looked a little brighter than the surefire in the video is it the same in person?

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an RM2 I use on a 300blk carbine as a farm gun, I have no doubt I would hit was I was aiming at through the 4x scope without a problem, that sucker is BRIGHT.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice review!

Will probably get one to try out.

The rm2 looked a little brighter than the surefire in the video is it the same in person
?

View Quote

The candela is higher for sure.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Made in China  
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Made in China  
View Quote

indeed
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/T8yBMQYl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vHSBni8l.jpg

I've had this lights since they first came out; here's what I've found:

Pros:
-350 and 625 lumen output
-works on all Surefire Scout mounts that I've tried them on

Cons:

Full review with the RM1 on a BCM upper and a RM2 on a SOLGW M4-SML for some shooting, a beam comparison/demo, and a more detailed discussion of the info above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khPdfj-e_vU
View Quote

Saw your review about a week after I picked up a #1 model. Got a good price on the EE for it, otherwise I would have gone #2 model.

On a side note, keep up the great work. Love your channel bro, best gun reviews on YouTube.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Saw your review about a week after I picked up a #1 model. Got a good price on the EE for it, otherwise I would have gone #2 model.

On a side note, keep up the great work. Love your channel bro, best gun reviews on YouTube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pros:

Cons:

Will do; thanks!
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#9]
What voltage will the lamps take?  Can I use a 14650 instead of 2x cr123?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Any chance you did comparative weights between the models (perhaps with the BCM mount)?  I'm thinking about trying one or the other with the BCM mount on a 13" KMR Alpha.

I was about to buy a Surefire Scout light, but just came across your review, which has me thinking about giving one a shot.   Leaning toward the higher output light as it's going on an outdoors gun with a 1-4x (and I usually run bright-ish Surefire Fury lights), but this rifle is fairly slick and lightweight, which I hate to undo.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up the larger version 2 weeks ago and after just messing around with it, I really like it, ESPECIALLY for the price.  I haven't shot with it yet, but I'm taking a trip out to the family range this weekend (AMERICA!) and will see how it holds up after a couple hundred rounds, and try some night shooting with it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I finally broke down and bought a Surefire scout light, and an Arisaka/Malkoff version, like a week before these were announced.
I'm glad I did in retrospect, it'd have made it even harder if these were on the table.  China or no, for what I do with em.

Always follow your channel, you do awesome work.  And I'm an exiled Tarheel that just escaped CA for the midwest.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

indeed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Made in China  

indeed

I was ready to buy a couple of these, but after reading this thread and that they are made in China : I just bought another surefire. No China crap on my rifle!
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do these heads fit on Surefire bodies?
View Quote

I don't think they do. I see to remember reading that somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone know if the tape switches fit tango down grips?

ETA: Tape Switch does not fit the Tango Down VFG with surefire cutout.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Does the remote pressure switch seem like it will last a while?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does the remote pressure switch seem like it will last a while?
View Quote

I think so. Seems very high quality to me, hasn't failed on my scar yet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I just ordered both a 1 and a 2.

I am anxious, since I've only used Surefire weapon lights. I hope I didn't just blow 200 big ones. The review helped sell me, though. They appear to be great lights for the money.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#20]
cool
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:41:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I got my lights mounted and I am very impressed with everything about them so far. They'll see some night-time hog action this coming fall and winter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Received my Streamlight Rail Mount 2 and MLOK Inline mount yesterday, and I love them! One thing to note, for anyone using a rail mount 2 with the Arisaka Defense inline mount is that the streamlight body sits over the forward most screw, and I couldn't figure out how exactly to tighten the T-Nut. What I ultimately did was measure one of my small 90 degree hex keys and shortened it with a dremel cutoff wheel. It worked out great.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Received my Streamlight Rail Mount 2 and MLOK Inline mount yesterday, and I love them! One thing to note, for anyone using a rail mount 2 with the Arisaka Defense inline mount is that the streamlight body sits over the forward most screw, and I couldn't figure out how exactly to tighten the T-Nut. What I ultimately did was measure one of my small 90 degree hex keys and shortened it with a dremel cutoff wheel. It worked out great.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8700/28910635015_95860fbf93_c.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8241/28286735783_88564c02bc_c.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7467/28910450455_22c33e6188_c.jpg
View Quote

According to the Arisaka Defense web site:

"If used with the Streamlight Protac Rail Mount 2 the light body partially obscures the front mounting screw. A ball head Allen wrench may be required to tighten the mount to the handguard. "
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

"If used with the Streamlight Protac Rail Mount 2 the light body partially obscures the front mounting screw. A ball head Allen wrench may be required to tighten the mount to the handguard. "
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8700/28910635015_95860fbf93_c.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8241/28286735783_88564c02bc_c.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7467/28910450455_22c33e6188_c.jpg

I already spoke with them and we both laughed about it. It was my fault for not reading the fine print, but my chopped key worked great.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#25]

I love streamlight I have sold all my surefire on the EE and gone ovwe to 100% streamlight for both mu vis and IR needs you cant' beat the quality to dollar ratio.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pros:

Cons:

Just want to echo this. Awesome videos, great channel.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Made in China  
View Quote
I hate this,I don't like to support the Chinese and I have seen a lot of junk from China ,but I also have several Primary Arms red dots/lights and I've been pleasantly surprised by all of them.

I've also had great luck with Streamlight so I'm going to buy an RM 2  to try out

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine has all of a sudden stopped working. Tried changing batteries and swapping out the tailcaps. It'll head back to Streamlight tomorrow.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#29]
unfortunately I am becoming unconcerned about made in China anymore.  If it works and is durable, I don't care anymore.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Primary arms has them for $89.95 for 1 cell and $91.99 for 2 cell.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#31]

I got a Protac RM2, liked it so much that I got another one. And told my best friend and my girlfriend to get one also.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
unfortunately I am becoming unconcerned about made in China anymore.  If it works and is durable, I don't care anymore.
View Quote

I've always wondered what they would cost if they were made in the US. Also what would Surefire cost if they were made out of the US.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#33]
At $89 with free shipping on the RM1, that is a tough deal to beat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad346/TexasPistols/Mobile%20Uploads/ADDD9CE3-7F2F-4BD2-871C-3A5D982C0FC8_zpscwcpncj3.jpg

I got a Protac RM2, liked it so much that I got another one. And told my best friend and my girlfriend to get one also.
View Quote

Will the pressure pad work with the Tango down grip?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've always wondered what they would cost if they were made in the US. Also what would Surefire cost if they were made out of the US.
View Quote

Probably a little less but not by much, Surefire has a great marketing campaign and their weapon lights get used by pick a unit so they have a following from that. Streamlight has a following in domestic LE for their Stinger line which is hard to beat for a good duty flashlight that doesn't hit you in the leg all the time and use up expensive ass batteries every other day.

If they made the TLR1's and these RM1's in the USA I could see the prices still lower than the Surefire but the RM1's wouldn't be $89 probably more like $150-190 ish.

Overhead, all the EPA shit, insurance (property, healthcare, etc), Raw materials, zoning ordnances etc you get the picture.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad346/TexasPistols/Mobile%20Uploads/ADDD9CE3-7F2F-4BD2-871C-3A5D982C0FC8_zpscwcpncj3.jpg

Negative.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Picked a Railmount 1 for 82 dollars from Jet.com, like it so far.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Too bad they are not single mode... Says you can program to High only... but I always plan for Murphy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I love mine.
Saving up for a scout mount. Pic rail is too bulky :/
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:39:09 AM EDT
[#40]
I reached out to a few friends of mine, one of which has had the RAIL 1 mounted on a 12.5" SBR with a Blackout on the end (light is mounted with the head next to the MD), and has a lot of rounds downrange with it. He shoots often (instructor), and rarely suppresses. He got it during/right after SHOT 2016. Thus far the light is G2G.

Question for the white-wall-hunters out there: Does it flicker under recoil? Specifically, the Rail 1 with the CR123 installed.

So far what I keep getting from industry guys is "Well, everything seems good, but it isn't Surefire, and it's an unknown..."

Then I keep hearing "Made in China" with a huge Donald Trump face in my head over-emphasizing "CHINA" in his voice, and that is pretty tough to deal with on its own.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 4:28:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Just picked up a RM 2 locally at a good price, couldn't pass it up for what all you get. My question is, can anyone confirm it will fit a KMR rail with the Noveske keymod mount? I have the Noveske mount on my MPX and love it, but am concerned the head on the RM 2 is too big to mount without hitting the rail.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I reached out to a few friends of mine, one of which has had the RAIL 1 mounted on a 12.5" SBR with a Blackout on the end (light is mounted with the head next to the MD), and has a lot of rounds downrange with it. He shoots often (instructor), and rarely suppresses. He got it during/right after SHOT 2016. Thus far the light is G2G.

Question for the white-wall-hunters out there: Does it flicker under recoil? Specifically, the Rail 1 with the CR123 installed.

So far what I keep getting from industry guys is "Well, everything seems good, but it isn't Surefire, and it's an unknown..."

Then I keep hearing "Made in China" with a huge Donald Trump face in my head over-emphasizing "CHINA" in his voice, and that is pretty tough to deal with on its own.
View Quote

I have a RM1 & a RM2 and they both flicker with recoil.  With the light on, when I slap my buttstock against the ground, to simulate recoil, the light does flicker once with each tap.  No change with either the clicky tail cap or the pressure pad.  

For me, I just can't see how that will affect my use of this weapon light.  For the rest of the features in a nice little package and the price these are, I can live with a very very quick momentary flicker that I probably won't even notice when live firing at night.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a RM1 & a RM2 and they both flicker with recoil.  With the light on, when I slap my buttstock against the ground, to simulate recoil, the light does flicker once with each tap.  No change with either the clicky tail cap or the pressure pad.  

For me, I just can't see how that will affect my use of this weapon light.  For the rest of the features in a nice little package and the price these are, I can live with a very very quick momentary flicker that I probably won't even notice when live firing at night.
View Quote

Will test mine when I get home and report back.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Can you run the little one on a 14500?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doubtful. Aren't 14500's taller than a CR123?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes a 14500 is a AA-size lithium ion. The short one has a main body tube that has a ledge built into it so a CR123 will seat, but a AA will also pass through it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes a 14500 is a AA-size lithium ion. The short one has a main body tube that has a ledge built into it so a CR123 will seat, but a AA will also pass through it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's right, forgot it's a dual fuel style
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just double checked mine and neither do this. I'd send CS a message.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but are the 14500 too powerful?  They list at 3.6 and the 123 lists at 3.0

I would love extra power, but not at the price of shortened life span or sudden catastrophic failure.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recall reading about Surefires doing this after a few years of use. Seems the springs took a set, over time. Also consider that some springs are just longer than others. you can see this with buffer springs. They have a "range". You may have a "long" spring, while this guy got one that came in on the minimum side of spec. I now have a RM1, and feel that Streamlight could certainly beef up the "secondary" spring which adapts to the AA batter. I think it needs more tension, given how little travel would be required to come off of the CR123's contact post, and how MUCH travel is available to that assembly to do so.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top