Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2016 8:04:32 AM EDT
Is there anything LED unit I should check out before ordering a Malkoff led drop in?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It depends how much you are looking for in output.

Malkoff manufactures a quality "pill" but there are MUCH brighter options available.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there anything LED unit I should check out before ordering a Malkoff led drop in?

It depends how much you are looking for in output.

Malkoff manufactures a quality "pill" but there are MUCH brighter options available.

This.

But I like my 6p and malkoff led
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I would like decently bright, but it doesn't have to set fire to whatever I shine it on. I've looked at some of the Chinese drop ins that claim whose claims of rediculous lumen output seems to good to be true. I just want decently bright and reliable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They just might not be as ridiculous as you might assume.

I have a P60 "pill" that's outputting 4,000 Lumens.

It's not a standard off the shelf dropin, it's a custom build but it shows what CAN be accomplished. Nothing remains stock from the Surefire...

Body bored to 18mm to allow use of an 18650 battery
Upgraded (finned) Head
Upgraded switch to handle the increased amp draw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would like decently bright, but it doesn't have to set fire to whatever I shine it on. I've looked at some of the Chinese drop ins that claim whose claims of rediculous lumen output seems to good to be true. I just want decently bright and reliable.

They just might not be as ridiculous as you might assume.

I have a P60 "pill" that's outputting 4,000 Lumens.

It's not a standard off the shelf dropin, it's a custom build but it shows what CAN be accomplished. Nothing remains stock from the Surefire...

Body bored to 18mm to allow use of an 18650 battery
Upgraded (finned) Head
Upgraded switch to handle the increased amp draw

That's impressive. Any pics of your set up? I'm looking for something in the 300-500 lumen range I suppose that will run off of cr123s.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The Malkoff drop in will be right around 325 lumens.  It is a great usable lumen for a carry 6P body.  No need to upgrade the switch, bore body, get a finned head and it will run off 123 batteries.  

I have a lot of custom flashlights and LED drop ins.  The problem with the high lumen drop ins is that they run very hot (can easily damage drop in with prolonged use even with custom heads), have a very short run time and they quickly start dropping off in lumens (within seconds).
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on Malkoff, buy with confidence
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
+1 on Malkoff, buy with confidence
View Quote

Ok. Thanks guys. This sounds like the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two Malkoff M61 drop-ins. One is in a solarforce 6P clone and the other in a Surefire M951. I'm more than happy with both and they are plenty bright for my needs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive got a cheap led drop in for a solarforce light from China, I use it to take the dog out at night. 18650 last about 2 weeks. I love the light. The drop in was 3 mode wish I would have gotten one mode.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Lumensfactory warm LED that fits my Z2 better than my Malkoff.
It was cheaper and does not have as much brass so it is lighter as well.
I have removed cells from a bad laptop battery and was able to use 5 out of 6.
I have a 600 grit belt grinder to smooth ends carefully after tearing apart tabs.
some of the 17650s are available dirt cheap on ebay.  One deal had 9 for 15 bucks that had been salvaged from some mass overstock of laptop batterys.
They do not have overcharge and undercharge circuits but you can use charger with overcharge protection and if used singly you should be able to tell they need to be rotated as the light will start to dim noticeably below 3v.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Get an EDC Plus Drop In for $60, it gives you around 900 lumens.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't head of them before. I really like that drop-in, especially the fact that it's fully potted. My only concern is that it has multiple modes, something I don't like for a weapon light.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I haven't head of them before. I really like that drop-in, especially the fact that it's fully potted. My only concern is that it has multiple modes, something I don't like for a weapon light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For weapon light get a M61 rather than a multimode.
Multimodes switch modes under recoil.
If you could find one with a xpe2 the footpring of the LED is smaller and hotter which reaches further than XPG though lumen output is less.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one of these in single mode that has been in SF G2 for years on my beater rifle. Back when bought it I think the lumen rating was 370ish. Seems about right when compared to my SF Fury.

http://www.solarforce.hk/index.php?controller=products&action=view&id=112
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top