Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/28/2016 9:35:44 PM EDT
What should I know? Will my gun now vanquish aliens? Go!

Edit: corrected thread title
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Which DBAL?  I bought the D2 and feel like a kid in a candy store.  I like to turn the green laser on and laze everything behind my house.  I'm walking around the woods with my night vision and DBAL like a storm trooper.  Awesome piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which DBAL?  I bought the D2 and feel like a kid in a candy store.  I like to turn the green laser on and laze everything behind my house.  I'm walking around the woods with my night vision and DBAL like a storm trooper.  Awesome piece of equipment.
View Quote

That's sick. I don't have NV so I got the OTAL-A
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you like it?  I've been looking at those as well.  What kind of range do you get out of it during daylight?

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How do you like it?  I've been looking at those as well.  What kind of range do you get out of it during daylight?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't gotten it yet. EE purchase today $550 shipped. Online I found $900+ so I felt it was a good deal. Says 15 meters daytime so I'm hoping that holds
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#5]
So you bought an OTAL, not a DBAL?  

IME, red visible lasers are just about useless in direct sunlight.  You may be able to see the dot a few feet out, but they're incredibly hard to pick up on beyond that.  They're definitely visible at night, but get washed out pretty good with any reasonably bright weaponlight.  

Anyways, good luck with it!  Hopefully it works for your purposes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

IME, red visible lasers are just about useless in direct sunlight.  You may be able to see the dot a few feet out, but they're incredibly hard to pick up on beyond that.  They're definitely visible at night, but get washed out pretty good with any reasonably bright weaponlight.  

View Quote

The otal-a is green
I have one too and id's a great peice, don't listen to the haters. With the diffuser cover they sell it works great with nv. In the day it will reach 300 yards easy on high. It's a beast. I use it instead of a dbal on purpose because it's half the weight and does pretty much the same thing.. You don't "need" a infared laser when you have such a versatile laser. I love my otal-a
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I figured it did during the day. I got it for hog hunting (up close shots at dawn/dusk) and because I want my end of the world rifle to have a laser on it for defense night time use, threat deferent and communication. For these purposes I feel ill be happy.

Also, because pics.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The otal-a is green
I have one too and id's a great peice, don't listen to the haters. With the diffuser cover they sell it works great with nv. In the day it will reach 300 yards easy on high. It's a beast. I use it instead of a dbal on purpose because it's half the weight and does pretty much the same thing.. You don't "need" a infared laser when you have such a versatile laser. I love my otal-a
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The otal-a is green

THATS what I wanted to hear! Half of my reasoning for not getting a DBAL was the weight savings. I don't need a 16oz laser because I don't run NV.... Sweet. I'm glad you like yours! I'm stoked to get it this week. Damn Monday holiday
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I've posted this before and I'll post it again. Lasers are meant to be in the IR spectrum and that spectrum only. Anything else is just silly.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've posted this before and I'll post it again. Lasers are meant to be in the IR spectrum and that spectrum only. Anything else is just silly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well I respectfully disagree, they deffinetly have a purpose but you don't always have nv on do you? What if you need a laser?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well I respectfully disagree, they deffinetly have a purpose but you don't always have nv on do you? What if you need a laser?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And in what situation would one need a laser? Directing fire at night? Night time shooting? Night vision/IR laser and white light/red dot is superior to the laser.

Red lasers are useless in daylight.

Eta
This had been a discussed in length and many people who's been shot at for a living has just about the same opinion.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#13]
TNVC has the OTAL on sale for $399.  Am seriously considering adding a third one to the collection.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And in what situation would one need a laser? Directing fire at night? Night time shooting? Night vision/IR laser and white light/red dot is superior to the laser.

Eta
This had been a discussed in length and many people who's been shot at for a living has just about the same opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eta

Visible lasers have many uses.. They sell well and military and police use them. I really don't have the time to describe there uses, I'm sorry.
Nv is not some secret society, maybe in afganistan is where they are superior but we are not there, even my friends that aren't into guns have cheap digital nv now, so it's not like nobody can see your laser or whatever. I use visible laser mostly for aiming and communication in an emergency, I also have light/ infared light/ red dot as well so it's not that one is better I use them all.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Eta
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eta

Uh, lasers do have the whole "stop or I shoot" thing (self-defense). Not to mention the aided quick shots for when you can't properly get behind your sights.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll let Augee handle this one. He's the lights/lasers guy and he's forgot more abut light/laser implementation than I'll ever know.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The otal-a is green
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The otal-a is green

OTAL's come both red and green - the $500 one OP purchased on the EE (saw the ad) is red.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OTAL's come both red and green - the $500 one OP purchased on the EE (saw the ad) is red.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The otal-a is green

Well he said otal-a which is only green, otal comes in both.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The otal-a is green

The laser I bought was advertised as the OTAL Advanced. The only one I currently see online is in fact green only.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#20]
the otal-a has a fire button on the top and a high and low mode, also it is built to a higher durability and waterproof deeper. It might have come in red before in a civilian model or it could be a restricted 50a model. Either way of it is a otal-a you will love it there great!
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the otal-a has a fire button on the top and a high and low mode, also it is built to a higher durability and waterproof deeper. It might have come in red before in a civilian model or it could be a restricted 50a model. Either way of it is a otal-a you will love it there great!
View Quote

Ok, so it is an A, has the button on the top.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#23]
All I can tell you is get the diffuser cover at tnvc for about $15 shipped. It will lower your beam to barely visible about .5w and works great with nv.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Everything is green at night thru NVD's!  We DO have the OTAL's on sale right not at $399.00.
View Quote

How long is that sale running? Just ordered one from Optics Planet and still waiting for it. Think I might send it back if there's time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I kind of want another one for my MK-18 build that's waiting for a stamp....
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This time, get the IR. Now you'll have an excuse to get into NOD.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had any place or reason to shoot at night, I would love NODs. Just can't justify it
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

So how do you like it?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If I had any place or reason to shoot at night, I would love NODs. Just can't justify it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're in Texas, hogs are everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So how do you like it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how do you like it?

I like it a lot. Small, light and very bright. It's visible in all but the brightest sunlight. Will use it in a low light class next month, I'm predicting it will be very helpful.

Looks great on the Scar too:

" />
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I like it a lot. Small, light and very bright. It's visible in all but the brightest sunlight. Will use it in a low light class next month, I'm predicting it will be very helpful.

http://<a href=http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/davegibbs45/EB0C81B0-1C35-44DE-86EB-93357A2CFCAC.jpg</a>" />
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how do you like it?

http://<a href=http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/davegibbs45/EB0C81B0-1C35-44DE-86EB-93357A2CFCAC.jpg</a>" />

Very nice!

ETA:

Put your LAM out front. That way when you press the button, your hand isn't blocking the beam.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Watched Travis Haley's "run a scar like a boss" video and I like his set up so I kind of copied it. Moved the OTAL forward, pressure pad for the light behind it and light on the side. Once my Larue mount gets here I will have the light up and out of the way. Much cleaner setup.

" />

I can hit the light:
" />

And laser:

" />
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:54:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Sweeeet!
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#34]
So your selling it already?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top