Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2016 12:28:11 AM EDT
I have been shooting and hunting for years, but I just bought my first AR.  I plan to put a vertical grip on the forearm, and like the idea of the combo laser/led configuration.  The only issue is the price.  The Crimson Trace is nearly $600.  I am curious if anyone has had any success or experience whatsoever with the Amazon and eBay models that are under $100?  They are made in china, but out of aluminum, and seem to get good reviews on there, but I want to know if anyone on here has used one.  I am a high end accessory guy on my hunting gear, but in this case, I am really curious if these things are worth looking at.  Thanks for any first hand input.  I am already well aware that "you get what you pay for", so please limit it to direct knowledge on the subject.  Every once in a while, you run into something that exceeds your expectations.  I am hoping this might be one of them.  Thank you for any insight.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:40:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been shooting and hunting for years, but I just bought my first AR.  I plan to put a vertical grip on the forearm, and like the idea of the combo laser/led configuration.  The only issue is the price.  The Crimson Trace is nearly $600.  I am curious if anyone has had any success or experience whatsoever with the Amazon and eBay models that are under $100?  They are made in china, but out of aluminum, and seem to get good reviews on there, but I want to know if anyone on here has used one.  I am a high end accessory guy on my hunting gear, but in this case, I am really curious if these things are worth looking at.  Thanks for any first hand input.  I am already well aware that "you get what you pay for", so please limit it to direct knowledge on the subject.  Every once in a while, you run into something that exceeds your expectations.  I am hoping this might be one of them.  Thank you for any insight.
View Quote

Especially for low-use applications on a heavier rifle, a LED is a LED. But cheap lasers tend not to be durable or hold zero well. If you want to try cheap, do it on the light, but spend a bit of coin on the thing that actually has to hold a zero through recoil and a few bumps around.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#2]
That is SOLID advice, and I could not agree more.  I am going to contact the seller of the unit I am considering and see what they have to say about it holding zero.  If they are convincing enough, I will give it a shot.  Otherwise, I will get a vertical with LED only, and add a laser later with a pressure pad for the handle.  I have two Surefire Nitrolons.  It would be great if there was a vert handle that had a provision large enough for one of those.  They are fat as hell though, so I will have to look into it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is SOLID advice, and I could not agree more.  I am going to contact the seller of the unit I am considering and see what they have to say about it holding zero.  If they are convincing enough, I will give it a shot.  Otherwise, I will get a vertical with LED only, and add a laser later with a pressure pad for the handle.  I have two Surefire Nitrolons.  It would be great if there was a vert handle that had a provision large enough for one of those.  They are fat as hell though, so I will have to look into it.
View Quote

FAB Defense / Zahal should have something along those lines. Nitrolon is still a 1" light body, right?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Looked into it.  The nitrolon will need a led conversion and mount.  I am going to go with a combination Vertical and LED.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looked into it.  The nitrolon will need a led conversion and mount.  I am going to go with a combination Vertical and LED.
View Quote

http://store.commandarms.com/products/FGA.html

Combine that with a Malkoff module, and a cheap aluminium head off eBay, and you;re right at $100 total for something quality.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top