Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2016 9:25:16 PM EDT
So I've noticed with my LED lights that I can drop them without the light going off. One being a snap on, the other a streamlight. Are all LEDs vibration resistant? I'm looking to buy one to mount on my AR. I figured if I could look at lights not necessarily labeled a weapon light, it would allow for more choices. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Been running LEDS on my Harley for years... no issues.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been running LEDS on my Harley for years... no issues.
View Quote

My Dads selling his... Know anybody wanting a soft tail?

@RevMetric
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been very pleased with the Streamlight TLR:1 series light on my AR. So much so, that I'm planning on getting a non-weapon light version to replace my current cheapo for every day carry.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The things that set most weapon lights apart from regular flashlights are potted electronics, and positive battery connections. Repeated recoil can cause the battery to "bounce" in the light, and cause flickering. Also, the recoil can knock components off the circuit board inside the light unless it's potted.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#5]
LED are naturally more resistant to vibrations and impacts than other bulb types but I would stick with a light that is rated for use in a firearms like surefire
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I've noticed with my LED lights that I can drop them without the light going off. One being a snap on, the other a streamlight. Are all LEDs vibration resistant? I'm looking to buy one to mount on my AR. I figured if I could look at lights not necessarily labeled a weapon light, it would allow for more choices. Suggestions?
View Quote

The LEDs are solid..

It is the quality of the solder and potting used that fails.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The things that set most weapon lights apart from regular flashlights are potted electronics, and positive battery connections. Repeated recoil can cause the battery to "bounce" in the light, and cause flickering. Also, the recoil can knock components off the circuit board inside the light unless it's potted.
View Quote

Back in the day of through-soldered electronics (think classical resistors or capacitors with long legs that penetrated the board), that might have been true. But nowdays everything is surface-mounted (SMD), the components are smaller and lighter, and the amount of surface area soldered to the board relative to the weight of the component is much higher. It takes a [relatively] very large amount of force to separate the traces from the substrates of a printed circuit board. I think potting does relatively little to improve a modern SMD circuit's durability, especially when the emitter itself is never potted. True the actual die, the emitting surface is usually under a dome of epoxy to focus the light, but it is very soft and does not cover the soldered edges of the emitter and its mounting board. What matters more in a quality light is that the flux has been washed off the board after soldering is complete as most fluxes are acidic, or that the solder joints are solid. Potting will help with thermal dissipation on a high output light, it will keep components like toroids, voltage regulators, and mosfet's cool by wicking heat away to the housing, but I doubt it matters much for shock-proofing of the electronics themselves given how small they are.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]
So what is a good handheld light that is roughly 1" diameter, has rear push button, and doesn't have multiple lighting modes. I just want off/on.... Dont want to have to cycle through options or strobe effect if its mounted to a weapon.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what is a good handheld light that is roughly 1" diameter, has rear push button, and doesn't have multiple lighting modes. I just want off/on.... Dont want to have to cycle through options or strobe effect if its mounted to a weapon.
View Quote

I just bought one of the Bayco Tac300B-K01's. The K01 adds a picatinny rail mount and a tape switch tail cap. Normally it's a forward-clicky single mode light, about 180 lumens. Potted light module so there's no changing the emitter (its a very cold color tint) but it's a nice durable light, comes with a pocket clip. I think it might take normal aftermakret P60 modules.

Sticking with the poylmer flashlight idea but going American-made the Streamlight Poly-Tac is a decent light as well, and you have a couple models to choose from. No pressure-switches available that mate-up to it though.

Going to an aluminium light, the Primary Arms Weapon Light is a solid 6P-ish clone, but is better suited as a general flashlight. It's output is too high for my taste and it uses a larger emitter (more efficient) so its much floodier.

Or there's Elzetta. Great American-made light that you can configure to your liking.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#10]
LEDs are just transistors. Transistors are very resistant to shock and vibration.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like the Surefire G2X tactical.  320 lumens, single mode w/ rear push button.  Can be had for sub $60 if you do a bit of looking (last one I bought was off Amazon for $57, IIRC.  Free Prime 2 day shipping too).
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I like the Surefire G2X tactical.  320 lumens, single mode w/ rear push button.  Can be had for sub $60 if you do a bit of looking (last one I bought was off Amazon for $57, IIRC.  Free Prime 2 day shipping too).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not much more than the comperable Poly-Tac models. Do the XM tailcaps work with them?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's not much more than the comperable Poly-Tac models. Do the XM tailcaps work with them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what it's worth, I've got a few G2X and current Polytacs.  I think I like the Polytacs better.  I don't see a huge difference in brightness or beam quality between the two.  Also, Streamlight's "10 tap" programming allows you to use the same light as either a full-brightness single mode or as a multi-mode flashlight depending on your preference.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Dont need a remote pressure switch. I mount my light to the left of vert grip and just use my thumb on tailcap. Polytac may be way to go. Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#15]
There is no filament like in a regular bulb.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Optics planet has it right now for $60 -10% =  $54 shipped
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really sure.  I'm not a big tape switch fan, so I've never really looked into it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried an XM tailcap on a G2X tactical I bought in mid 2014 and it did screw on and the light worked. I'm not sure I'd trust the setup without testing it, but at the very least the tailcap does fit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Polytac on one and though it has never failed, it flickers with the slightest shock, even when dry firing.  Not noticeable with live fire, however it does give me pause.

I have a Solarforce on another and it's been great if you don't mind made in China.  You buy the body and switch then get the LED you want separate so you buy the quality you want.  The body has a spring on both ends of the battery so it's relatively shock isolated from the electronics.  Gets pretty good reviews on the light forums.  I bought the L2m, it can be configured as a 1 or 2 cell light.  It's been mounted on a 6.5# 14.5" pretty close to the flash hider so it's seen plenty of recoil and general abuse.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm going to sound like an idiot but I honestly dont know jack about you guys are referring to when talking about swapping leds into different bodies. I'm willing to learn the differences just to expand my knowledge but when purchasing, id rather just buy what I want to start with.

I had a streamlight led flashlight that was rechargeable, came with a spare battery and charger. It was green and about the size of a C cell maglight but a tad skinnier. I want something mimics that brightness and beam. I'll see if i can get a link to the exact light. I know the battery life probably wouldn't be as long as my rechargeable but that's fine for me on a weapon light.

Also, how long do these lithion batteries last if sitting dormant? Like before they explode and ruin the light.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Streamlight stinger ds led. I would like that in a smaller package
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Local walmart has them on clearance for $30, might be worth checking stores close to you.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top