Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2016 12:21:07 PM EDT
I'm thinking about budgeting for one of the M952V's floating around on eBay because tactical tan and the dual-illumination feature. Thing is, it seems that all the ones on eBay are going to be the "early" 952V's that only put out 100 lumens white light. Can the heads even be disassembled to get to the driver (so I can install something 7135 based) and are the electrics potted? If so, is it soft enough to dig out? I have no qualm about spending $200 on this light, provided I can give the white light emitter a tad more juice.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, there is only one version of the M952V and it has 150 lumens of white light.

The question is, do you really need the IR illumination?  I think that should be the main deciding factor whether attempting this mod would be worth it.

As far as disassembly being a possibility, I have no clue and I doubt very many other people would know either.  Most people don't buy a SF product to attempt modding it, outside of simple drop in LED conversions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you'd be better off buying two different lights:  one white light, and one IR light.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as I know, there is only one version of the M952V and it has 150 lumens of white light.

The question is, do you really need the IR illumination?  I think that should be the main deciding factor whether attempting this mod would be worth it.

As far as disassembly being a possibility, I have no clue and I doubt very many other people would know either.  Most people don't buy a SF product to attempt modding it, outside of simple drop in LED conversions.
View Quote

If it is 150 lumens then I can most likely just leave it be. And no, I don't need the ir illumination, night vision is at least a year away from consideration for me. But it's the brand and the build quality it bring, its tan (yes, I'm sorry) and its also a bit of a toy to play with. And I just like having the potential there if something comes along.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:42:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If it is 150 lumens then I can most likely just leave it be. And no, I don't need the ir illumination, night vision is at least a year away from consideration for me. But it's the brand and the build quality it bring, its tan (yes, I'm sorry) and its also a bit of a toy to play with. And I just like having the potential there if something comes along.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you cite build quality, but I'd worry that my modifications would hurt reliability (completely negating that point all together).  Although I do understand the urge to modify things.  

Another thing to mention is the M952V's somewhat spotty reliability track record, specifically the well known issues with the light "flickering" caused by a faulty head.

What I would do?  I would purchase a brighter white light only weapon light for now.  When the time comes for NV, you'll obviously want an IR LAM, so get one with an IR illumination source built in.  That keeps you happy with your white light output in the interim and still covers all your bases once you finally take the NV plunge.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, you cite build quality, but I'd worry that my modifications would hurt reliability (completely negating that point all together).  Although I do understand the urge to modify things.  

Another thing to mention is the M952V's somewhat spotty reliability track record, specifically the well known issues with the light "flickering" caused by a faulty head.

What I would do?  I would purchase a brighter white light only weapon light for now.  When the time comes for NV, you'll obviously want an IR LAM, so get one with an IR illumination source built in.  That keeps you happy with your white light output in the interim and still covers all your bases once you finally take the NV plunge.
View Quote

Is THAT why they're only $200 on eBay?  Well, it is a moving part after all.

I'm not terribly concerned with my modifications affecting reliability. As long as the flux is washed off with alcohol and anything that gets warm or is fragile gets potted then things get pretty bulletproof, so to speak. It's more a build quality thing. I bought a Night Evolution M300 clone and the ano is definitely softer than my used M951. I could get the NE M952v clone to modify but I'd trust the Surefire mech staying together over the long term more than the NE. And again, its more of a toy.

Plus, the rifle it would be mounted on has an Aimpoint pro mounted atop a carry handle. Plenty of room between my eyes and the focal lens for a goggle. Laser is ideal, but I suspect I might be buying a digital monocular before a gen-3 phosphor tube. This is all conjecture anyway. ^_^
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hijack....but do the 600v and 620v have the same flickering issue? Or is it something isolated to the 952v? Can you tell if you have a bad head or do you have to shoot with it to see the flickering?

As far as moding, I would take a peek at candlepowerforums.com. Maybe one of the DIY experts will know more.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorry to hijack....but do the 600v and 620v have the same flickering issue? Or is it something isolated to the 952v? Can you tell if you have a bad head or do you have to shoot with it to see the flickering?

As far as moding, I would take a peek at candlepowerforums.com. Maybe one of the DIY experts will know more.
View Quote

I've only heard of/experienced the issue with the M952V.  FWIW, SF replaced the head on mine free of charge when it happened.

I've had a few different M600Vs over the years without any issues.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input. Since the new Surefire lights came out, used vampire lights abound on the EE. Now I can afford to buy a 600V or 620V at about half cost.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Having been thru a nightmare with my vampire head with surefire, I strongly recommend that you skip this light and move on to something else. I waited like 8 months and only got anything back from them because a friend knew someone inside SF.

I got about 300 rounds thru mine before the flicker started,
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top